Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,920) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to stay in Tokyo?

in Tokyo , Japan by @mrwhite 9yr  | 7 comments

Hello.

Any hints on good places to stay in Tokyo? Ideally near a friendly co-working space.

We are two people. We would prefer renting on a weekly basis so we can try things out the first week and then stay maybe for a month.

โ€“ Christian

PS: This fine article recommends airbnb and some houses catering to exchange students but I was looking for something a bit more specific:

http://www.thrillingheroics.com/tokyo-japan

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I live in Shimokitazawa and recommend the neighborhood highly. Itโ€™s convenient to most places in Tokyo without being in the bustling area of steel and glass. Lots of great restaurants and cafes too. Thereโ€™s a small coworking space called Open Source Cafe with a 1,000 JPY daily rate including a coffee or other drink. They also have a monthly membership for 10,000 JPY.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yeah, I have visited the neighbourhood and it has a good vibe. Definitely a hip area, but hip areas have good places to eat. :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mrwhite 9yr

Thanks for the hints.

We are still looking for more permanent accommodation - currently staying in an airbnb - but the value is no so good - price wise about the same as a business hotel.

Ps: can anyone recommend a gym in Tokyo that allows (cheap) drop in trainings and where the lack of residency is not a problem?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabiand 9yr

If I remember correctly, it is easy to drop in at Gold Gyms, but they are not cheap, like JPY1600 for one time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fabiand 9yr

You can check http://tokyocheapo.com/business/drop-in-coworking-spaces-tokyo/ for coworking spaces. The rest of the site also has plenty of tips about Tokyo.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m not sure if it helps, but Iโ€™ll post a link to the airbnb we used. Itโ€™s has metro stations, restaurants and everything you need nearby. I could see myself living easily in that area, but itโ€™s definitely not a tourist place. A quick googling suggests that some coworking spaces are 30-40 minute metro ride away.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mrwhite 9yr

Thanks - the place is not available for booking until the end of July though. But it seems like we will probably end up with AirBNB - at the moment we are at an APA Hotel.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any nomad meetups in Osaka?

in Osaka , Japan by @freddychanut 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Will be in Osaka this April/May and was curious to discover interesting groups/events.
I had a look at FB + Meetup but there doesnโ€™t seem to be much. Any advice on where to look?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking spaces in Osaka?

in Osaka , Japan by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m looking for a good coworking space in Osaka.

There are a few listed on coworker.com & workfrom.co, however, none of them has reviews.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Coworking spaces in Kyoto

in Kyoto , Japan by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m looking for a good coworking space in Kyoto.

There are a few listed on coworker.com & workfrom.co, however, none of them has reviews. Itโ€™d be great to have tips from people who actually went to some of these coworking spaces.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to live in Shikoku, Japan?

in Japan by @srg_b 6yr 6 years ago  | 10 comments

I want to live in Shikoku for two months. Iโ€™d like Shikoku, because of its beautiful nature, and preserved culture and tradition. Has anyone been there? Where could I base myself, apart from the 4 big cities (prefecture capitals)? Iโ€™d ideally like a town, 10 - 50.000 people population. Anyone with an idea? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone registered a company in Japan as a means to acquiring a visa?

in Japan by @kko 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™ve done reading on this topic but wanted to see if anyone actually had experience doing something like this personally. Iโ€™m thinking of setting up a GK (Godo Kaisha), which is equivalent to an LLC, as a branch of my Delaware-registered corporation for my startup, and granting myself a work visa through this new entity so that I can stay in Japan long-term.

Iโ€™m curious about how long the process can take, what the lawyer fees might look like, and what obligations one has post-incorporation. Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone have practical experience of coworking in Kyoto, Japan?

in Kyoto , Japan by @jonlay 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Iโ€™m looking to take a trip to Japan and am considering a month in Osaka.

There are a few co-working spaces appearing online:

There are also some very old articles out there from 2012.

But most of the information online seems very dated and as a non-Japanese speaker, itโ€™s tricky to figure out whatโ€™s current, without emailing each of them via Facebook and trying to narrow down the list.

Anyone have any recent experiences or recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the more laidback towns in Japan?

in Japan by @cpury 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi nomads!

I really like Japan and would love to spend more time there (I know itโ€™s expensive!), but I generally dislike the stereotypical Asian city (aka soulless concrete jungles).

To define what I consider โ€œcoolโ€, I really like those young, laid-back, green and open places, where you can bike around and sit outside and meet people, even better with mountains, forests or beaches in range.

I havenโ€™t been to Tokyo (I just supposed it would be too big to fit my expectations), but there might be some good areas there. So far Matsuyama was the closest I found to a โ€œcoolโ€ place in Japan. Iโ€™ve met loads of laid-back โ€œanti-cultureโ€ people and even hardcore hippies from Japan, so Iโ€™m sure they must gather somewhere :smile:

Anyone has some hints where to find a place like this? Or a recommendation of a nice area in one of the big cities?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good places to work in Sapporo, Japan?

in Sapporo , Japan by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m currently in Sapporo for a week and have some work that I need to do urgently. Iโ€™ve been trying to find a cafe today but havenโ€™t managed to find anywhere that is quiet and has power outlets. Itโ€™s incredibly frustrating because I was hoping to get it done today.

Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which Pocket Wi-Fi should I choose in Japan?

in Japan by @chrispking 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for the โ€˜Pocket Wi-Fiโ€™ network in Japan? Thereโ€™s a few options Iโ€™m considering including UQ Wimax, au, NTT Docomo and Y Mobile. UQ Wimax and au look like better products for the money so likely Iโ€™ll go with one of them (saying that all of the products/hardware in Japan is exceptional)โ€ฆ

Specifically interested in experiences and recommendations of the wireless network coverage, reliability etc.

Iโ€™ll be predominantly based in Osaka for the next six months, however, I will be travelling for one or two months. Certainly, Iโ€™ve got a short trip to Kyushu planned and will be doing a nationwide JR Pass train tripโ€ฆso will need access whilst travelling on the shinkansen (bullet train).

Anyone had any experience of UQ Wimax or au wireless networks?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is Fukuoka, Japan a good city for nomads?

in Fukuoka , Japan by @dries 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Dear Nomads,

Fukuoka is increasingly mentioned as an affordable location to live in Japan and as a more easygoing alternative to bustling Tokyo. Itโ€™s just across the pond to South-Korea (3 hours by boat), has a well connected airport and has recently been chosen by Monocle as one of the most liveable cities (nr 12).

I would love to welcome Fukuoka on the Nomadlist, so letโ€™s gather some intel here. What was your experience with the city? How much did you pay for rent, food and other? How to go about getting short-stay appartments? Please share!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
461ms