Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,989) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where is the data (statistics) from in Levels' talk at DNX GLOBAL 2015?

by @naii 8yr  | 1 comment

Since the date sounds stunning in his talk (video and slides) I donโ€™t find sources verifying the data. Iโ€™m curious to hear about them :slightly_smiling:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

Hey Naii!

Itโ€™s lots of sources, if you have specific numbers, Iโ€™ll be able to back them up with data.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the health and safety in Bali right now amid the global crisis?

by @valentineworld 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I would like to avoid having to come right back home, ya know? <3

I plan to be in Bali a lot, but if this is a terrible time to go,
it could stunt my future plans of being in Bali for an extended period of time.

Would love to see you guys! <3

@valentineworld

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Wich is the better international SIM card for data only service?

by @chelocoach 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hi there!

Iโ€™m looking for international sim card services. I looked for other posts, and I know there are other alternatives, but Iโ€™m interested to have an international sim-card with only data plan, just to be used while I get a local one.

Alternatives:

ยฟAny experience using any of these services?
thnx!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best bank account for a global nomad?

by @barrybjjoubert 5yr 5 years ago  | 25 comments

Dear all
As a wanna be nomad figuring out a way to get free of the rat race, I was wondering what is the best bank account to have while travelling the globe? I need an account where is easy for me to receive payments from all over the world and it also need to be a bank that I can find almost anywhere in the world. I want to avoid carry cash on me if itโ€™s possible.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody recommend US health insurance with global coverage?

by @tylertringas 5yr 5 years ago  | 18 comments

Any US nomads found health insurance with global coverage? My current approach has been to have US health insurance, essentially a waste of money but if I ever got very sick I could go home and have coverage. My actual healthcare is a combination of travel insurance (havenโ€™t really used it much though) and paying cash in cheap places like SE Asia and Latin America. The cobbled together approach is neither simple nor very cost-effective. Love to find a product with global coverage that also satisfies Obamacare requirements. Any leads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in New Zealand for nomads?

in New Zealand by @goldsaj 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi All! Iโ€™ve heard Spark and Vodafone are the best. I plan to move around, so I care mostly about having good coverage, and all Iโ€™ll need is around 1 GB of data or so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How much Data are you using per month?

by @jdiefenthaler 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

I am trying to figure out three things. An average of how much data everyone uses per month, a low end of how little data is used, and a high end of how much data can be used? I am not interested in your methods of acquiring data. I am just interested in how much you use as a whole. This includes both work data usage and your personal data usage.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I monitor my data usage when I have limited amounts of mobile data?

by @littleshiva 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

I use a mobile internet stick that gives me 1 gigabyte of bandwidth in a 24-hour period. If I use it all up in half that time (easy with print jobs) I have to either wait it out or use another stick. What are some of the things I can do to keep bandwidth from being used without my knowledge? (macbook pro / Yosemite) I looked in the activity monitor and safari seemed to be using a lot so I keep it off now when Iโ€™m not using it, and I paused synching on dropbox and creative cloud until Iโ€™m hooked up to wifi. Any other tricks?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's best internet solution for travelers? SkyRoam vs Global Roaming Data plans

by @alexmarinov 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Whatโ€™s up nomads!

What do you use to get internet for work when you travel? Iโ€™m trying to figure out the best option to get internet when Iโ€™m traveling. For now mostly in Europe and mostly for conference calls with screen sharing. Iโ€™m willing to spend $200-300 per month.

I need to:

1. tether my laptop to my data plan on my phone, or on another device (like SkyRoam which I donโ€™t have yet, but considering)
  2. have data on my phone for essentials like Google Maps when driving around.

My US carrier is Sprint Wireless. I have unlimited data, which I can enable globally at no extra charge but itโ€™s supposedly 3G, but doesnโ€™t really work. Sprint also has a plan called Sprint Global Roaming, which offers high speed internet, but itโ€™s $30 per 1GB which can add up to $500-$600 per month given my usage.

Iโ€™m not always close to WiFi or Co-Working spaces. Iโ€™m looking for a solution that would basically allow me to get on a Google Hangout or GoToMeeting call on my laptop from my car.

Any experience with gadgets like SkyRoam or similar ones from Verizon or AT&T? How good and reliable are those?

Any ideas? What do you use?

Thanks,
Alex

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

in Brazil by @phil 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi everyone. I am new on this forum and will post in the introductory thread when I have some more time. My question is:

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Brazil for nomads?

background info to the question: I bought a vevo (vivo?) sim the other day and charged up around $7US on recharge.com. it seems now that I can only send text messages but cannot call other people or get internet. I will be in brazil for min 5 weeks max 3 months. sorry if Iโ€™ve posted this in the wrong section.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you get a SIM card (and data plan) in Colombia if you don't know Spanish

in Colombia by @balindsieber 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

I just arrived to Medellin and did not anticipate that no one would speak any english at all. (Iโ€™m used to Asia where everyone knows the basics)

I need a SIM card, I found a place at the mall where they sell them, but itโ€™s not a simple transaction and I donโ€™t speak Spanish.

Any thoughts appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you deal with getting data on your mobile while travelling?

by @nomads_and_drifters 7yr 7 years ago  | 15 comments

Hi,
I wondered how everybody deals with getting data on their phone in each country they travel. Is there a way around it? It is always such a pain having to buy and activate sim cards everywhere. I have tried the company โ€œworldsimโ€ and had an international sim for a while, but they where terrible and ended up to be super expensive.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Poland for nomads?

in Poland by @swynt 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi everyone! I will be heading to Poland in two weeks for around ten days. I will be in Poznan, Gdansk, Warschau and Krakau for travelling (the main purpose) and working (as freelancer). For working purpose, I need to be able to connect to internet for most of the time. So, could anyone give any advise which sim card and mobile data option should I get? It doesnโ€™t have to be cheap, but it should have good coverage area and big data plan (around 3 - 5 GB). Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Data sims for Jamaica and Bahamas?

in Jamaica by @joncottonuk 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hi all

Looking to spend a couple of weeks in Jamaica and the Bahamas - Can anyone recommend the best value data sims for either or both countries. Not bothered about calls as will be using Skype.

Thanks - Jon

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Portugal for nomads?

in Portugal by @swynt 8yr 8 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi everyone! I will be heading to Portugal next week for around one week. I will be mostly in Lisbon and Porto. For working purpose, I need to be online for most of the time. So, could anyone give any advise which sim card and mobile data option should I get? It doesnโ€™t have to be cheap, but it should have good coverage area and big data plan (around 3 - 5 GB). Thanks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best mobile-data option in Thailand for nomads?

in Thailand by @iamfledge 8yr 8 years ago  | 17 comments

As I donโ€™t know how long I may be in Thailand so canโ€™t commit to a minimum term like a 12-month contract (1-month rolling is ok).

Iโ€™m hoping to find the best SIM to stick in my phone and get as much data as possible - ideally enough for laptop tethering when Wi-Fi isnโ€™t immediately available also.

Is it possible to either sign-up in advance and get it delivered; or to get it from a shop and activate it that day? Or is there a waiting time of days for it to be sent and activated?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the Thailand visa situation for digital nomads in 2015?

in Thailand by @opt 9yr 9 years ago  | 8 comments

This is a FAQ, a โ€œlightning rodโ€ of sorts, and there are whole sites dedicated to discussion about the topic, but what is the real Thai visa situation in 2015 for nomads?

Iโ€™ve spent hours reading about this, but with all the tangents and pointless debate in various forums, itโ€™s difficult to get straight facts and answers (to the extent possible, understanding that this can be a gray area).

One one hand there are people talking about staying 10+ years, but then thereโ€™s advice from, for example, @CoffeeShopCEO, saying: โ€œThai consulates are also beginning to reject people who have back to back visas in their passports, so after a year or so, go do some travelling.โ€

It seems confusing to talk on one hand (as so many video series and similar money-making ventures do) about all the great deals on apartments and long-term stays, and on the other about taking all your stuff with you on border runs, because you may not be coming back.

I imagine the best answer is โ€œYMMV,โ€ but it seems like a precarious way to live while trying to build a business: stretching the truthโ€“or outright lyingโ€“about reasons for travel, hoping you donโ€™t get the wrong government representative on the wrong day, trying to get the foreign income exemption without paying taxes in the destination country, etc.

From the glut of videos by Chiang Mai-based foreigners alone, it would seem that many are living (and selling) this lifestyle successfully, but it isnโ€™t quite as simple as portrayed, no?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the safety in Bangkok after the bomb attack of August 2015?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @hydrofog 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone, I havenโ€™t actually set out into the digital nomad lifestyle yet, but plan to within this year. Bangkok is (was) a place that I was looking into very deeply as my first location to go.

But today a bomb went off near the centre of the city:

This scares me massively, and worries me to ever travel thereโ€ฆ after this event would you still recommend going to Bangkok?

I hope everyone who is in Bangkok that is apart of this forum is okay, Iโ€™m pretty sure I read that 6 foreigners died in the blastโ€ฆ RIP to all the souls who were lost.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the cheapest global location to bootstrap for 1 year?

by @thedude 9yr 9 years ago  | 12 comments

The basic run down is Iโ€™m currently in Thailand and starting at the end of this year or beginning of next - I want to spend a year burning savings to build a piece of software. English language workable to get around (with the exception of Spanish - which I want to learn & donโ€™t mind finding a school / investing the time)

If I were to use a point system to decide where to go it would be something like this

Cost of living (has to include 1 - 2 round trip airfare back to the US. Visa runs / applications) - 10 pts

Geographic location I prefer (worth 3 points)

South / Central America
European
SE Asia
Africa / India

My options seem to be gravitating towards Eastern Europe (Serbia, Ukraine, Poland) or South America (Columbia, Argentina & Iโ€™m not sure where else). Looking into the visa rules it looks like I would be limited to six months in Columbia before needing to move on.

Am I wrong for giving up Southeast Asia? I understand itโ€™s popular (Iโ€™ve spent a month in Phuket Town, a few months in the Krabi province & a border run to Malaysia).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any decent global laptop rental & delivery services?

by @normaldude 9yr 9 years ago  | 0 comments

Like if youโ€™re traveling around the world, your Windows laptop gets stolen at 2am, and you just need a quick rental laptop, delivered to your hotel room ASAP, for using during the next 1-2 weeks. As a long-term solution, youโ€™ll mail order a custom Windows laptop, but that may take a while to assemble & deliver. So for now, you just need a quick short-term temporary laptop replacement.

I know that there are overnight laptop rental services, but they seem focused on the US marketโ€ฆ

Are there any overnight laptop rental services for global travelers?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s the best mobile-data option in Australia (Melbourne) for nomads?

in Melbourne , Australia by @iamfledge 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m due to spend a couple of weeks in Melbourne in April and looking to see if thereโ€™s a good non-contract mobile data option for my time there.

Ideally Iโ€™d like to be able to tether to my laptop. Any Aus based nomads able to make some recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
468ms