Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,981) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do once you lost and blocked your credit card?

by @matthieudrula 8yr  | 13 comments

Hi,
Surprised that this thread does not exist.
If you lose and block your only credit card, what are your other options than going home?
Do you have a specific bank that can send you a new card? Aside from that do you have some tips?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@syneryder 8yr

I like Adrienbeโ€™s answer. The only thing Iโ€™d add is to look into prepaid travel cards before your next trip. Some of the airlines have them built-in to their Frequent Flyer cards now (eg Qantas). A number of banks offer them, and thereโ€™s also the Travelex cards. I think the prepaid cards usually cost $15. The banks & Travelex will usually issue you two cards (with different numbers), so in the event of one card being stolen you can still transact using the other card.

You could also consider Bitcoin. CoinJar has a story of a woman who used a Bitcoin account to withdraw money via a Bitcoin ATM after her cards were frozen while travelling in Japan:

https://www.coinjar.com/stories/apostrophe

Adrienbe is also right to recommend 2 different banks - I have multiple cards with one bank, but discovered that when one card was compromised, their policy is to cancel & reissue all cards associated with that account, so I was stuck using cash for a while.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Surprised that this thread does not exist

Me too!

If you lose and block your only credit card, what are your other options than going home

Preventively:

• I travel with at least 2 bank cards. Ideally, VISA and MasterCard as these are the widest bank card networks in the world, along with American Express. Iโ€™m not a US resident so AMEX is not an option for me.
  • I always carry โ€œemergency cashโ€ in a hidden place, at least 200 USD.

On the moment:

• I can use my emergency cash (mentioned above)
  • I can still use Revolut for online payment - as long as I have a smartphone.
  • I can get money sent via WesternUnion - as long as I have my passport
  • Transfer emergency money to someone you trust who can give you this in cash (trust is the key here)

On the mid-term:

• Your bank can make & send a new card within a week usually. I got sent a new credit card to Vietnam in 6 days & I got sent a new debit card to Malaysia in 5 days. This was via TNT, this company is incredibly fast, I also used it to send legal papers from Thailand.

On the long term:

• Make sure you signed up with banks who have good โ€œremote servicesโ€, reasonnable fees & that are reactive. You can sometimes only find out by trying, so Iโ€™d recommend having at least 2 different banks.
  • I shared some tips on banking solutions for digital nomads on my blog, disruption in the fintech industry is only getting bigger. Number26, Revolut, CurrencyFair, Transferwise, and other services are helping the change. Educate yourself & try things out :wink: http://www.grownupplayground.com/banking-solutions-for-travelers-digital-nomads/
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadtax 8yr

Amex issues cards in most countries. If your country doesnโ€™t participate, you could also get an international dollar or euro Amex card.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I always have 1 backup.
Having said that, i have seen someone lose their card, order a new one to be delivered overseas, which got pulled by the fraud team and the bank called the number on the account to check, which wasnโ€™t working due to being overseas (and the individual staff were toid that at the time), so my friend waited 10days for a card that the bank didnโ€™t actually send.
I had my card skimmed in bali recently, am operating on back-up now.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

I have:

1 private debit card
1 private credit card
1 business debit card
1 business credit card

Itโ€™s useful for my bookkeeping but also since it means I have many backups.

I usually pack cards separately or leave a few at home if Iโ€™m in an unsafe country.

Itโ€™s also useful cause many times one of my credit cards get blocked automatically as I travel a lot. So I just switch to the next card.

If worst comes to worst and Iโ€™m without cards, Iโ€™d literally have to go to the Embassy and borrow some money from them.

TL;DR make sure you have many backups!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I carry a variety of cards and when Iโ€™ve had to have them replaced in the past I either get the bank to send it directly or if they wonโ€™t (for whatever reason) I have them send it to my mom/a friend and have them send it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

I lost my card recently, was in Thailand about to go to Cambodia. Because the Cambodian mail system is almost non-existent, I arranged to get my card sent to the consulate there. Iโ€™d not realised before that you could do that.

I have a second card but was a bit worried about depending on that. It takes over a week for my bank to send out the new card then the postage time. Some of the back-up options I looked into were wiring cash (I think they charge a heap but, in an emergency, better than nothing) and also getting a family member to send me a travel card with no money on it then loading it up once I received it. That way, if it went missing in the mail. I wasnโ€™t losing anything.

Tbh, I actually had one of those travel cards but hadnโ€™t realised Iโ€™d packed it. I never use it but had thrown it into my bag. They are quite handy for emergencies because you can keep them empty then, if you need to, transfer cash over.
I think consulates have some options for receiving money in an emergency too.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadtax 8yr

Did you asked your bank to courier the card to you? I had one sent to me a few years ago when I was in Siem Reap and it arrived two days later via Fedex (directly to my hotel).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

My card was with a credit union and they werenโ€™t very helpful, no courier option and I could only get it sent to family in Australia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Neither did I, thanks.
Can you buy a travelling card while you are travelling or only on a domestic territory?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadtax 8yr

All banks can courier you a new credit card overnight. Itโ€™s part of the Visa/Mastercard deal (itโ€™s Visa/Mastercard that actually issues emergency cards).

If your from a country with uncooperative banks, get an Amex card. They are very good at sending emergency cards and emergency cash.

Also, it goes without saying that you should have at least two cards. The more the better really.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I did have 2 cards, lost one (shit happens).
I might get in personal troubles with my second card, just wondering how to think out of the box.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@borowiis 8yr

Hi! I have a couple of them. Plus a couple of accounts. Plus cash. Waiting for new card to arrive is no fun if that was your only card : ) Iโ€™m from Ukraine though, banking system here sucks. So Iโ€™m sure countries with more developed banking do have better options.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get around blocked credit card transactions?

by @nomadaccountant 7yr 7 years ago  | 15 comments

it seems like Visa have gotten more tight recently and itโ€™s touch and go whether each transaction will go through. Sometimes it does but often now I am getting declined. The bank knows my locations but in the background Visa seem to be blocking a lot regardless and they are harder to notify. I am using paypal where possible because it doesnโ€™t get blocked, but thatโ€™s only good for a limited number of places.
Anyone else getting worn out by the payment approval games?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can Europeans also fly cheaper using credit cards and gain miles?

by @rxs 8yr 8 years ago  | 3 comments

I hear more and more about digital nomads (mainly from the US and Canada) flying cheap (almost for free) by taking advantage of bonuses given by banks / credit card companies. Iโ€™m not exactly sure how the system works.

Is it also possible to do for Europeans ? If so, how ?
If not, do know any other hacks to fly cheaper ?

Many thanks for your help.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How useful is a credit card concierge for your business, travel, and life?

by @ride 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

The deal is, with a virtual assistant, you get what you pay for. On the other hand, you can be a power user of the card concierge service, and only pay an aggregated fee, including for those folks with the same card, but hardly use the service at all.

What can a credit card concierge do for you? I donโ€™t want to quote Tim Ferriss (a controversial figure); here are some other, good uses.

EUR/USD100 concierge credit cards exist out there; the concierge option is not exclusive to cards in the 500 range. Iโ€™m not a bank, I donโ€™t offer this service; I genuinely asking your opinions.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you get an EU Blue Card?

by @que 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Does anyone know how to get a EU Blue Card? Iโ€™ve read about it but canโ€™t seem to find much information.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
403ms