Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,020) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best ways to find an apartment in Barcelona?

in Barcelona , Spain by @tylertringas 8yr  | 15 comments

Lots of nomads in and headed to Barcelona. Letโ€™s create a central place for resources, guides and sites for finding an apartment.

Iโ€™m headed there in April for 1-3 months (argh, Schengen!). So far Craigslist and Spotahome seem useful. What else is there?

Also any thoughts on neighborhoods would be great here. Right now Iโ€™m looking at Gracia which seems to be the spot. Probably avoid Barrio Gotico and Barceloneta due to masses of tourists. Iโ€™ve heard some good things about El Bornโ€ฆ thoughts?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey Tyler
So you are in Bcn now ? What did you find ? I was there for a week last month and I hated having to rent an expensive airbnb with shitty wifi
But it did the job : we found the partners and the apartment for thecoalition.io/barcelona and we are opening the first Startup house in barcelona may 2nd :slight_smile:
So for me for a stay of 1-3 months, the best way to find an apartment in Barcelona is now thecoalition.io/barcelona :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I got an apartment through Spotahome and just extended for another 2 months with an Airbnb. Both were quite a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay.

This coalition place you listed looks pretty good for the cost, space and amenities compared to what I found. One question it says โ€œ4 rooms, 10 crazy entrepreneursโ€โ€ฆ how does that work? Bunk beds? :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@harris 8yr

Iโ€™m finding LoQUo really difficult to navigateโ€ฆ Mi espanol es tambien lolโ€ฆ but, thereโ€™s no way to sort by bedrooms or price or anything. I guess itโ€™s worth it if I save a 1000 euros a monthโ€ฆ

Side note- Iโ€™ve also been using http://www.shbarcelona.com/ and http://kyero.com โ€ฆ (Kyero just seems to be an aggregator though)โ€ฆ once we get our residency visa, Iโ€™ll pick my search up more seriously.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@harris 8yr

Update - LoQuo is out of business.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yivva 8yr

+1 for the loquo.com. i lived in Barcelona for 3 years and this was the way everybody I knew found their apartments. It seemed to be the way the locals found apartments too. The other options are more aimed at tourists and more expensive, with large agency fees also.

And airbnb, is obviously just people subletting the places which they originally picked up cheap on loquo.com and are running as side businesses. Thatโ€™s how most of my friends there are doing it anyway.

Ahhโ€ฆ the memories are flooding back now. Such a magical city! I think iโ€™ll have to book a flight there soon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I lived in Barcelona for one year. For long term itโ€™s best to rent without agencies because they charge 1 or 2 months of fee. On Loquo youโ€™ll find private "pisos"
http://www.loquo.com/vivienda/barcelona/

Check also this blog for some nice tips: http://www.spanishteacherbarcelona.com/living-barcelona/find-flat-barcelona/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@mattia 8yr

Hey mate. Iโ€™m gonna hang out there.
Iโ€™ve already stayed there last year from april tim october, in a friendโ€™s apartment in El Borne, that now is not available anymore.
So letโ€™s find something together and hell yeah letโ€™s create common resources.
Iโ€™m calling some acquaintances to find a proper place. My impressions are El Borne is amazing but I wonโ€™t advice to be there in the summer itโ€™s a mess. And homes are old and a little bit dirty unless you spend a lot.
Barceloneta or El Poble Nou are better but itโ€™s not easy to find a place during top season.
El Poble Sec, Gracia and Exaimple are truly beautiful barrios, Guinardo also.
Letโ€™s have a look at idealista, rentalia, habitacliaโ€ฆ letโ€™s keep in touch definitely

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@harris 8yr

You should really consider Eixample โ€ฆ was really nicely situated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@harris 8yr

Weโ€™re applying for our Residency Visas to hopefully move there in August. Iโ€™ve rented directly from this person a number of times: http://negre.us/apartments/ - his name is Fernando Negre - has some great apartments - although a little expensive. But if you go direct and talk to him directly heโ€™ll typically give a good discount if you ask.

Canโ€™t wait!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@rosina 8yr

Oh, I wished I had read this before! I got an appartment on bnb :frowning:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jascha 8yr

Checking the sites I see what you mean. I usually wrote them directly an email and asked for what kind of apartment they have for 1 to 3 months. The price per night looks really high, but usually they have better prices for monthly stays. (Me and friends paid around 800โ‚ฌ to 900โ‚ฌ per month with lodgingapartments.com) It really depends on your budget. One of the cheapest way is clearly looking for rental rooms at http://www.loquo.com

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jascha 8yr

Hey tyler,
I am a โ€œlocalโ€ in barcelona, have living here on and off for arround 3 years.

First of all: Airbnb is really expensive in this city. I have a good friend with a lot of apartments for large groups and this is a real business here.

Locals normally spot apartments on a website called โ€œloquoโ€, but it can be difficult if you donโ€™t speak spanish and if its for very short rentals. There are specialized agencys for short term rentals like http://www.apartmentbarcelona.com/ and http://www.ainb.net/. Iโ€™ve made really good experiences with http://lodgingapartments.com/, they take a comission but have really great, furnished apartments in barceloneta.

For the best quarters: I lived in the โ€œBornโ€, its not quite as turistic and โ€œdirtyโ€ than the gothic or raval quarter, but still right in the city center. A lot of expats, students and freelancers life there and it has a great atmosphere with a lot of bars, small shops and art galleries (although its changing). If you like to be a little bit more outside the city center gracia is awesome as well, a lot of the alternative party scene is happening there.

If you have any questions just let me know :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Jascha, the sites youโ€™ve listed only seem to have listing that are actually more expensive than AirBnB. Am I missing something?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@codino 8yr

Iโ€™d also try my luck browsing through different facebook groups like โ€œBarcelona Apartmentsโ€, โ€œBarcelona rentalsโ€ an also โ€œBarcelona expatsโ€. As birds of a feather flock together, you could also look at โ€œBarcelona fรผr Deutscheโ€ if you are German-speaking, โ€œItaliani a BARCELONA !!โ€ for italians or โ€œSvenskar i Barcelonaโ€ for swedish people, as many expats prefer to rent out their apartment to their fellow countrymen.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@miquel 8yr

Hey Tyler,

I was in Barcelona with an Airbnb for 10 days last August. It was hot. We did a room in an several bedroom apartment. I would recommend against that for long stays for sanityโ€™s sake, though your disposition could tolerate it.

While I donโ€™t have a direct answer, after nomadโ€™ing for an additional 7 months (still here in Europe!) and dealing with this issue every month, we have evolved our strategy and made www.distancescore.com . Its meant to help you and me plot the places we plan on visiting (coworking, metro, whatever) and comparing different neighborhoods or addresses.

If you do use Airbnb, message ahead regarding wifi if you plan on working there. Spain has the best connectivity Iโ€™ve found all over Europe, bar Switzerland, but you never know.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find Bangkok apartment rentals <$1,000/mo?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @vesko89 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey all,

i am trying to find a monthly based condo in SUKHUMVIT in BKK becaue i am staying 1-3 Months in BKK. But somehow its nearly impossible to find a nice one. Except Air BnB 1000$+ โ€ฆ

How do you find your Condos in BKK?

Greetings Vesko

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are wise ways to handle health insurance, as a USA person

by @azurio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m still struggling to figure out how to handle health insurance.

What handy guides have you found to help figure out USA health care?

Iโ€™m struggling with:

• When itโ€™s okay/wise to go without coverage while abroad, these days.
  • What other type of insurance I want while traveling, and whether it needs to be a supplement to USA insurance or if it can be a replacement.
  • Etc.

Above all, I think I want out. I wonder about success stories in moving to some other system/location, and the method youโ€™d recommend: additional citizenship, a special visa, etc.

I have searched this topic and struggled with it, so summaries and clarity are super helpful. I appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Estonia apartment site

in Estonia by @flipchan 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey,
In romania there is olx.ro which is like the local ebay, is there a similar site for estonia?

I want to rent an apartment for 3 months

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good coliving or other monthly rentals in Barcelona?

in Barcelona , Spain by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™m looking for a monthly rental in Barcelona. Iโ€™m only planning to stay 1 or 2 months.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you always have your passport with you?

by @stepunk 6yr 6 years ago  | 31 comments

While traveling, do you always have your passport with you? Or you leave it in your room/hotel/house and go around with just a copy of the main page?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find an apartment to rent in Berlin?

in Berlin , Germany by @julianamundim 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

looking for a place to rent for 3 months in Berlin.
except for Airbnb, have you tried any other online services?
cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Casablanca?

in Casablanca , Morocco by @arved1990 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone,

i plan to work from Casablanca from mid of April to begin of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment or a living commune . AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high for me.

I am looking for a 1-bedroom apartment o a room close to the city centre - budget: max 500 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Arved

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I buy an office chair for my apartment in Chiang Mai?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @anderkd 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

The apartment manager suggested kaidee.com, but nothing there. Any suggestions anyone?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best ways to get travel/nomad companions in different locations?

by @madelineb 7yr 7 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi,
Do nomads like to travel together? I mean, not in each otherโ€™s pockets, but look for accomodation together, meet with each other daily or regularly, help out in new cities, motivate/inspire each other in the business? :slight_smile: Iโ€™ve done nomad lifestyle in the past in 2009/2014 and this time I want to collaborate and support with other people, each on their own mission. I love this nomad endeavour but to be honest I admit it can be quite time-consuming and lonely. :wink:
*Message on NomadList locations?
*Message on Couchsurfing groups? (without sounding like Tinder!)
*Message on other??
Iโ€™m currently in Portugal and heading back to Estonia for January/February (Iโ€™m from Australia). Later in 2017 I am open to places, though Iโ€™m not keen on high pollution, high humidity, high cost cities.
Feedback, interest or ideas welcome!
Thanks, :sunny: Madeline

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Lisbon?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @jenny_ 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi everyone,

we plan to work from Lisbon from mid of April to mid of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment. AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high to us.

We are looking for a 1-bedroom apartment close to the city centre - budget: max 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Jenny & Sebastian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a good apartment in Playa del Carmen for $500/month?

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @rusticbohemian 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Iโ€™m interested in renting in apartment in Playa del carmen, Mexico, for the month of March. Iโ€™d like to pay $400-600 US. Anyone know of any good ones that are within 10-15 minute walking distances of 5th avenue and the downtown Mega grocery store?

Any suggestions welcome.

-Andrew

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a 1-month apartment for rent in Medellin, Colombia?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @levelsio 7yr 7 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m visiting Medellin this October for a month and was wondering whatโ€™s the best way to find a place there.

Iโ€™m looking at El Pabelado, but on Airbnb itโ€™s all like $1500, when I know the real rent price there for a 1br should be $600.

Anyone can recommend some locals so I wonโ€™t get scammed/overpay?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Malta: Where to stay, how to find apartments

in Malta by @ryan.d.wardell 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey nomads! I just landed in Malta and Iโ€™m looking to rent a 1br apartment for a month, ideally close to a gym and supermarket.

Am I best sticking around sliema/st julians? Or st paulโ€™s bay? Or in Valletta itself?

Also, I havenโ€™t had much luck finding monthly rentals on airbnb or through simonmamo or other real estate sites - seems to be really tough finding a place for 1-3 months. Any inside tips on how to rent an apartment for a month here?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you always have an onward air ticket when entering a new country?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 54 comments

Iโ€™m looking into visa requirements for Indonesia and Thailand (our first two stops) and itโ€™s looking like Iโ€™ll need to show proof of onward air tickets out of both countries to be allowed in. Is that true in practice?

If so, Iโ€™m curious how other nomads manage it โ€“ do you just buy cheap tickets out that youโ€™re OK with not using to satisfy the requirement? Or do you chance it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to Register Complaints Against Businesses in Barcelona?

in Barcelona , Spain by @joutazo 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Long story short, my friends and I flew with Vueling and they lost our luggage. Theyโ€™ve done nothing so far except ignoring the problem. Theyโ€™ve failed to give us any kind of status on the luggage or offer any kind of compensation. Some of us even had our work laptops in our bags. Itโ€™s been five days with no response. Several times when weโ€™ve contacted them, theyโ€™ve hung up the phone on us. Itโ€™s been a terrible experience, and since we canโ€™t get them to do anything reasonable through their normal customer support channels, Iโ€™d like to escalate it by filing a formal complaint with some sort of government or legal entity that helps hold businesses accountable. The only problem is that I donโ€™t know who to report it to in Barcelona/Spain. I speak good enough Spanish to file a claim, but since I donโ€™t know what that sort of entity is called in Spanish, Iโ€™ve been having trouble finding where to do so.

TL;DR Where can I file consumer complaints against a company with the government or a legal entity in Barcelona or Spain?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Renting out apartment on Airbnb while traveling

by @swechris 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

What are some good strategies on taking care of Airbnb managment while on traveling mode?

//Chris

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone know of a laptop backpack that meets British Airways' new carry-on requirements?

by @ani_goes_tweet 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

BA has recently reduced the permissible dimensions for a carry-on personal item to 40 x 30 x 15 cms (i.e. 16 x 12 x 6 ins). Iโ€™ve been travelling by train since June, but Iโ€™m about to fly again and see that my wonderful laptop backpack is now oversized. Can anyone recommend a laptop backpack that fits within the new dimensions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you find an apartment when there's nothing on Airbnb or Craigslist?

by @krompson 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

So far, everywhere Iโ€™ve lived, Iโ€™ve been able to book an apartment in advance on Craigslist or Airbnb. Sometimes Iโ€™ll even reach out on the #nomads Slack group, on Couchsurfing, or contact the owner of a local coworking space to see if anyone knows a landlord in need of a tenant. This works great for larger towns and cities.

Iโ€™m beginning to look into living in smaller, more remote towns. Does anyone have advice about showing up in a country without a home and tracking one down?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Rio de Janeiro?

in Rio de Janeiro , Brazil by @chrispreynolds 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi all, I am looking for apartments to rent for 2 months starting in late January 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. I know of AirBnb, vivareal.com, easyquarto.com, and one Rio apartment FB group. Any others out there? Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any tips for renting a one month apartment in Bangkok for under $500/month?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @kirill 9yr 9 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m moving to Bangkok in November, and shooting to find an apt. with wifi for under $500 / month, for probably just a one month stay.

More curious about which neighborhoods to look for, something lively and fun as well. And any methods too, Iโ€™ve been looking at Airbnbs but get the feeling that itโ€™s a little inflated on there.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
472ms