Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,011) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best Lisbon neighborhoods to live in?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @thefakekozy 8yr  | 12 comments

Hello friends :slight_smile:

Moving to Lisbon with my gf for some slow nomadism in November '16 and could really use some recommendations as to where to set up a longer term residence! I just finished about 9 months in Brasil (Portuguese is still basic, but getting better everyday) and 10 months in Australia before that. Iโ€™ve applied for the residency visa so I wonโ€™t get the boot after 90 days like most US citizens in the Schengen zone.

Looking for something somewhat trendy, with good places to eat and near public transit. Would love to keep rent under $800/month for 1bd place, but can go up to $1000. Iโ€™ve heard about Santos and Alcantara from another nomadic blog, but would appreciate any insight on favorite hoods/locations and generally getting around Lisbon.

Cheers,
Kozy

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Parque das Naรงรตes isnโ€™t on a hill, the area from Baixa to Marquรชs isnโ€™t on a hill either.
Even Almirante Reis up to Alameda isnโ€™t on a hill, though itโ€™s starting to go up.

As for biking, while itโ€™s not a great place to bike, a lot of people have started doing it on a day to day basis. Really depends on your commute.

You mean โ€œCacilhasโ€

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@reganha 8yr

<2>@kolyo.g.kolev already said everything :slight_smile: Iโ€™d just like to add that almost every Portuguese person understands basic English, and most are proficient, so language wonโ€™t be a problem.

Also, Uber is your bestfriend in Lisbon when going out of the โ€œtouristic centerโ€ (pretty much the area in green), cheap, fast, transparent.

Lisbon is very car friendly (even tho the locals donโ€™t think so), you can get anywhere really fast unless itโ€™s rush hour.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kolyo 8yr

Hi Kozy

I lived in Lisbon for a few months, I loved it, and I think I could be of help here.

In my opinion, Avenidas Novas would fit your description โ€œsomewhat trendy, with good places to eat and near public transitโ€ - this is a modern city area well-served by transport (unlike most historical ones) as it was built in the 20th century. I was able to work from a different wif-fi cafรฉ/bakery almost every day, and never covered them all (check Linha dโ€™Agua for example), an endless choice of local and international food and easy access to the party town (10-5 min via metro). My favorite spot was a park (Gulbenkian) with high speed wi-fi where I could work โ€œin the natureโ€ while the shopping center is 5 min walk. Another positive is that as this is the business City, you get things open until late.

Second best, Iโ€™d say Sรฃo Bento - walking distance to party, the trendiest restaurants in town on your doorstep, again loads of wi-fi cafรฉs. Downside is the transport - its an area built on a steep hill with the nearest metro (Rato) being on top of that same hill. However, compared to Avenidas Novas this area feels much more authentic with its tramways, 19/20 century buildings, markets. It is expensive but your indicated budget would be OK pretty much anywhere in Lisbon.

Alcantara, as somebody already mentioned, is great for nomads because of the LX factory and its under-the-huge-bridge appeal but for a longer stay you might get bored of LX and Alcantara is somewhat isolated from the city. Also, public transport is affected by mass tourism - you do have the trams but you might wait for 3-4 cars before you squeeze in. I prefer the relatively quiet metro station and trip from โ€œParqueโ€ million times.

If you feel adventurous (maybe for 1 week of your stay), have a look at Casilhas - its on the opposite side of the river Tagus (Tejo) and it is served by regular transport of a Portuguese kind - iconic orange boats which take 8 mins to get you to the Lisbon port, just in front of the bar area. I lived on the other side for a while too and travelling by boat twice per day (for 2.30 return!) with the great view this trip offers, tops all public transport in the world. It really makes your day. Living in Casilhas also means you have a selection of fish restaurants on your doorstep, and an awesome view of the city. Itโ€™s 2x+ cheaper. However, last boat is at 1.40 am and you might get stuck on the wrong side of the river later than that (taxi circa 25 euro). Nothings works late and the wi-fi cafรฉs are limited edition.

My recommendation - Alcantara, Casilhas or Alfama for short (romantic/cultural) stay; Sao Bento/Rato or Avenidas Novas for longer term city life with easy access to anything.

This is obviously my view - if you need anything else, let me know.
P.s. Iโ€™ll be in town for the Web Summit in 2 weeks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! Lots of good info to digest.

Are there many coworking spaces by Avenidas Novas? Iโ€™ve found after some time nomading that I tend to be more productive/am more disciplined working from hotdesks than necessarily wifi cafes or even parks. I train parkour so enjoy my outdoor spaces outside of my normal work haha (extra points if you know any spots or people in that community!) The high speed wifi park sounds tempting though! Very much like that this neighborhood seems close to several metro stops (blue, yellow, & red lines if Iโ€™m not mistaken). Howโ€™s the view from there? Looks hard to beat Alfamaโ€™s view :slight_smile:

Was looking at a spot near Sao Bento that I liked quite a bit, but glad you mentioned the hill as it can be tricky to figure out the topography of the neighborhood youโ€™ll be in without doing a full GoogleEarth tour.

Adding Casilhas to the list for maybe a nice long weekend to try it out!

I hear the trams are fairly packed from several people - so theyโ€™re not the most reliable to get around the old, touristic parts of the city? Not shying away from uber (long-time user and advocate) but know it can get expensive on a daily basis

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kolyo 8yr

Hi - glad to help, itโ€™s no secret I love Lisbon!

The main coworking spaces in Lisbon are in Chiado/ Cais do Sodrรฉ/ Parque das Naรงoes. Iโ€™m not an expert in these as I work from home, coffee shops or parks, but if youโ€™re looking for an authentic and chilled out space, give Cowork Campolide a try https://www.facebook.com/coworkcampolide/ - about 10-5 min walk from Avenidas Novas. Youโ€™ll be treated well. There are others around Saldanha, but I found them more corporate and dry.

Regarding Parkour, youโ€™ve probably watched the videos of the Line Team already - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzR_csffXWopRb64mkxZRgQ I donโ€™t know them in person but they might be your best bet. Being the city of seven hills and offering a great staircase per capita rate, the entire city comes close to a parkourerโ€™s dream, I guess.

Everything is on a hill in Lisbon, except for the small Baixa area and Santos. Avenidas Novas, unlike all the rest is on a hill which doesnโ€™t challenge you to the extreme. I used to walk there as the weather in Lisbon is usually fantastic, and Uber/metro when it rains. Yes, all lines of the metro are also on your doorstep - it is the best connected area. AN has a nice viewpoint at the top of the Eduardo VII park, but it doesnโ€™t feature in my Top 5 viewpoints (Miradouros) as these belong to the historical hills, closer to the river. One of the best being Miradouro da Senhora do Monte.

I would only take a tram if a friend was visiting me (the iconic 28 running from Alfama to Bairro Alto), or if i have the day to explore a new area of the old city. However, it is not a reliable day-to-day transport, with the exception of the Estrela/Santos neighborhoods where there are less or no tourists (but students) and better frequency.

Hope this helps, and anything else - let me know

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Great recommendations again! Hahaha, thatโ€™s awesomeโ€ฆyeah Luis and Pedro of Line Team (in that video) are legends in the intโ€™l scene. Trained with Luis once in Rio I think - awesome guy!

Getting around on the daily: since itโ€™s so hilly are bikes or a boosted board (motorized longboard) not recommended? Fine with walking, but also like other options if theyโ€™re available.

Also, how do you recommend getting a place? AirBnb? Uniplaces?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kolyo 8yr

Thank you!
Not an expert in boosted boards, so canโ€™t comment there, but itโ€™s a general consensus Lisbon is not a bike-friendly city, and once you land you will quickly understand why (traffic, roadworks, small alleysโ€ฆ). Then, you seem professional so these obstacles could make it more fun for you !

Accommodation (here I am more of an expert):

1. Airbnb in Lisbon is OK but you will pay Tourist prices (x3 than the locals).
  2. Uniplaces - a local firm with amazing team but only if you have good 2-3 weeks + before you arrive, as landlords can take time to come back and they donโ€™t advertise exclusively there. You should know this is not an instant booking app. Here you pay Erasmus* prices so 1.5x -2x than the locals.
  3. So what do the locals do? They have facebook groups where things get literally grabbed in seconds, request to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CasasparaarrendaremLisboapormenosde500euros/ - this one is up t 500 EUR per month
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/446389568835970/ - up to 300 EUR per month

*Lisbon has an incredible Erasmus (students on exchange) economy and also niche accommodation providers to cater for that audience. Bear in mind, we are in the middle of the academic semester, so you might need a student to drop off to take their spot, but their base can be excellent value for money:

1. I stayed with these guys: http://www.ondacity.com/ - itโ€™s a cool team - they speak English and if youโ€™re staying for 2 months + they are likely to accept you in case there are vacancies (they have rooms/ studios/ flats). I needed to move in asap and they managed the sign in in less than 3 days, so this is a good emergency service.

2. Similar providers are http://www.livinlisbon.com/student-rooms/.

3. โ€ฆand if you are really lucky, you can get in http://www.uhub.eu/pt/residencias/lisboa/picoas - itโ€™s great location, studio. There is also a huge city view terrace and air con working space on the top floor. Reasonably priced. I think it comes close to a nomadโ€™s dream. Itโ€™s also 100 meters walk to metro and Virgin Active (https://www.virginactive.pt/ginasios/ginasio-lisboa-palacio-sottomayor) - one of Lisbonโ€™s top gym+pool+sport centers (comes at around 60 Eur on an Erasmus deal). I went for a viewing at UHubโ€™s Picoas location, and really liked it but thenโ€ฆ the then current tenant extended her stay and I got left out! It still hurts to this day :smiley:

So hereโ€™s another advice to get the most out of Lisbon: the sentence โ€œIโ€™m Erasmusโ€ opens doors for you, and you would never have a day without a party invite on facebook if you learn how to use it (โ€œESN Lisboaโ€ is a good page to start from). One of the reasons I moved out of Lisbon after 8 months was that it was just too much fun !!

Enjoy and anything else, let me know

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

So I assume they donโ€™t make a big deal if youโ€™re not a student? Would be easy enough to sign up for Portuguese lessons at a local Uni if need be, but just wondering if they start asking for student ID etc. at these spots.

Uhub and LivinLisbon looks currently sold out, but I hit them up about being put on the waiting list. OndaCity looks awesome though too!

Thanks again, mate! Saving the day! Sorry to have missed you for Web Summit - I touch down next week :-/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jmnsf 8yr

Alcรขntara will put you near Lx Factory which is a pretty awesome mini-neighborhood with indie shops, bars, cafรฉs and office spots. Thereโ€™s also good transportation around, so could be a great option at a lower price point.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I went to a coworking space in LX Factory, it was a good place to get some work done. And nice breakfast places, too!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

anywhere inside the green area will fit your budget and requirements.

santos and alcantara are nice but not as hot as bairro alto, rato, alfama, baixa

getting around lisbon really depends on where you live and where you want to go. but youโ€™ll either be driving or taking the subway (or bus).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@africajam 8yr

Would it help to have a map where you can draw the areas and comment on them :wink:

Like this:

http://pickingplaces.com/b/areas/lisbon

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where do you work from in Lisbon? ๐Ÿงณโ˜•

in Lisbon , Portugal by @dominiksobe 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi everyone,

I am going to move to Lisbon in July and I was wondering where you guys work from? Do you have any recommendations for working on a budget? Any good cafรจs or cheap coworking spaces?

I did some research and found some coworking spaces for > ~ 100โ‚ฌ p. month which is pretty reasonable but too much for me right now.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best SIM card you can get for traveling to Spain?

in Spain by @gabygarreau 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I want to relocate to Spain and I was wondering if someone can recommend a SIM card with a good data package.

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What neighborhoods to stay in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi guys!

Know Mexico City?

We are here for 4 more nights. We want to get a good feel for how it would be to live here as nomads.

What neighborhoods should we check out? What cafรฉs should we peep? What peeps should we meet?

Haha, thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find an appartment in Valencia, Spain?

in Valencia , Spain by @them 6yr 6 years ago  | 8 comments

Hey all,

planning on going to Valencia for a while and am looking for an appartment from April to summer. Any Ideas where to look for? Appart from airbnbโ€ฆ

Also any tipps for area to live in and work spaces are most welcome.

thanks and best regards,
The M.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Recommendation for English Speaking GP in Berlin?

in Berlin , Germany by @tammy 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hello! I am looking for an English speaking GP in Berlin who can write a prescription for schedule 1 medication. Currently I am in Northern Ireland who have a very complicated medical system, which is not Digital Nomad friendly! I would like to make an appointment with a GP who can help me ASAP. Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best coworking space in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @adele 6yr 6 years ago  | 6 comments

Hi there,

Iโ€™m considering a month or two in Medellin and wondered what the co-working space options are like. I want something more than a cafe, so happy to pay the going rate. I spent a couple of months at Hubud in Bali earlier this year and loved it, but realise that Iโ€™ve set the bar pretty high.

Has anyone used Epicenter? I read somewhere it is pretty busy. Any other options?

Suggestions much appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find an apartment to rent in Berlin?

in Berlin , Germany by @julianamundim 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

looking for a place to rent for 3 months in Berlin.
except for Airbnb, have you tried any other online services?
cheers!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tips for nomads in Granada, Spain?

in Granada , Spain by @katieuniacke 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone. Iโ€™ve just moved to Granada in Andalucia to live with some friends I met in Mexico. Planning on staying a few months and then seeing where the wind takes me, but in the meantime, I wanted to know if there are any fellow nomads around, or if anyone has any tips for coworking spaces/cafes? Thanks in advance! :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any opinions on where to live in Spain?

in Spain by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

I am thinking about living in Spain a few months but do not know much about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Short term (1-3 months) in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jodie_taylor 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m just interested on anyones experience of renting short term (1-3 months) accommodation in Medellin, Colombia.

I had a look on Airbnb of course, lots of places, on the more expensive which isnโ€™t a huge issueโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just wondering if in anyones experience itโ€™s better to take a room for a week and shop around when I get there or whether I should just book a month upfront? I recently had a bad experience with Airbnb so not dying to go down that road again just yet if Iโ€™m honest.

Iโ€™ll be arriving in Medellin from November onwards over the Xmas period and likely through till January, maybe longer. Another friend is coming with me so we could potentially rent a 2 bed apartment, or Iโ€™d also be happy in a studio or a private room in a decent house even. Iโ€™m thinking El Poblano or Laureles, as we are two girls with limited Spanish.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is air quality in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

What do you think of the pillotion in Medellin Colombia ? I heard it is not as bad if you live in Poblado as it is further up. Is that true?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for somewhere to spend Jully in northern Spain?

in Spain by @jb510 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™m looking for somewhere to spend July in northern Spain. (Not that it matters but June weโ€™re in Paris, August in Porto).

Iโ€™ve spent time in small Italian villages and loved the experience. Iโ€™m hoping to find something like that but in coastal Spain, I just donโ€™t know the area at all yet. Suggestions?

Somewhere roughly in or between Galicia and Bilbao. Somewhere walkable to a half dozen small resturants/cafes/etcโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What Are The Safest Neighborhoods To Live in Cape Town?

in Cape Town , South Africa by @justinbosco 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi all! My girlfriend and I would like to spend a month in Cape Town in August and are researching the safest neighborhoods to live in. Weโ€™d like to get an Airbnb but weโ€™re curious if anyone has any advice on where we should be looking? Weโ€™ve read a lot about Cape Town in our research, both good and bad. Any tips from people who have experience living in the city beyond a weekend resort stay would be great!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term apartment in Lisbon?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @jenny_ 7yr 7 years ago  | 10 comments

Hi everyone,

we plan to work from Lisbon from mid of April to mid of June this year and were wondering if anyone knows how to find a short-term apartment. AirBnB does not really offer much under 1000 Euro, which seems a bit high to us.

We are looking for a 1-bedroom apartment close to the city centre - budget: max 800 Euro. Can someone help?

Thanks! Jenny & Sebastian

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi, can anyone recommend nice kid-friendly neighborhoods in armenia, colombia? we're scouting it out this week. thanks

by @livefencefree 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

hi, any here with experience in armenia? weโ€™re considering a move there and looking for good neighborhoods to look at this week. thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you know good gyms in Lisbon, Portugal?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @chappupi 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi!
I just moved to Lisbon, Portugal. Iโ€™m in the Alfama district, near Santa Apolรณnia metro.
Iโ€™d really like to find a gym which has weights and cardio machines. It looks like there are incredibly few options in Lisbon - and all extremely expensive.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can anyone recommend a good dentist in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @rudiments 8yr 8 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™ll be in Medellin next week and would like to get a dental check up and maybe some work done before cycling into the mountains to the south. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent and cheap dentist? English or Spanish speaking is fine.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Has anyone tried to apply for a non-lucrative residence visa in Spain?

in Spain by @i_am_aileen 8yr 8 years ago  | 29 comments

Hey everyone,

Iโ€™m planning on moving to Spain and Iโ€™d like to connect with those who have tried to apply for this special type of long-term visa called as โ€œnon-lucrative residence visaโ€.

Going from what Iโ€™ve researched so far, itโ€™s a good option for us nomads (more so: business owners) to stay longer in Spain (one only needs to prove steady stream of income of at least EUR 2.2K per month and that you should NOT work for Spain โ€” so letโ€™s say having a U.S. company and staying in Spain is fine).

So : my concerns right now revolve mainly on anyoneโ€™s experiences with applying for this type of visa. How difficult was it? How long did it take you?

Also, Iโ€™m wondering about how I can secure a rental space for a year if my lease depends on the approval from the embassy. Iโ€™m also wondering if Valencia is a good place to stay in?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to avoid Tax Residency/Wealth Tax in Spain?

in Spain by @palimpalim 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Iโ€™m planning to move to Spain this year, but Spain has a wealth tax for worldwide assets over 700.000โ‚ฌ if you are classified as a resident which I want to avoid.

Iโ€™ll try to be a short as possible:

• I am a german citizen and Iโ€™m renting a flat in London, UK but havenโ€™t stayed there a single day in 2016. (110 days in different countries in Asia, 10 days in Spain, 30 days in germany)
  • I own a flat in germany that I rent out to tenants (limited tax liability for the rental income in germany), but besides that I donโ€™t have any income except for a few dividends from my stocks
  • I am planning to fly to Thailand for 2 months beginning of December 2016

Although I am renting the UK flat until December 2016 I prefer not to be in UK, which would mean that I would not be classified as a UK-resident because I would not meet any of the automatic UK or sufficient tie tests.

Iโ€™d like to move to Spain as soon as possible but would be willing to stay out of it for x weeks to avoid being classified as a resident and save wealth tax.

Can anyone help me in this matter? whats my best line?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Lisbon vs Barcelona for mid- to long-term stay: any advice?

in Lisbon , Portugal by @tvr3000 8yr 8 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi guys,

From this spring onwards Iโ€™m returning to Europe and Iโ€™m looking to either set up a home base in Lisbon or Barcelona. Any fellow nomads who can share their experiences of living in either of those cities?

Iโ€™ve only been to Barcelona and I like the vibe a lot. Major downside is the tourists (obviously).

To me it seems that both cities have good infrastructure, internet, climate (mediterranean), nightlife, culture, food, beaches (and Lisbon is good for surfing as well of course). Price wise, Lisbon is obviously a bit cheaper.

One important consideration is the public transport. Since Iโ€™m not looking to rent a car I prefer the city where I can travel on foot, bike or metro.

Based on my limited info, itโ€™s hard to pick one. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
514ms