Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,016) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for home base for 10 months in Mexico or Panama next year?

in Mexico by @we_are_escaping 9yr  | 14 comments

Weโ€™re researching places to use as a home base next year, and are leaning towards Mexico or Panama for 10 months (with 1 week โ€œvacationsโ€ to explore surrounding countries)

But, I want to settle some place where the infrastructure is good enough for fast, reliable internet - fast enough to run live webinars without worrying that Iโ€™ll be S.O.L due to internet issues when itโ€™s time to go live.

And ideally, Iโ€™d like to be on the coastโ€ฆ I like to have ocean/beach access without the need for a drive.

And not in a malaria zone (just saying, since Panama in particular has many areas that Iโ€™d rule out simply due to the need for malaria prevention meds)โ€ฆ itโ€™s one thing to take that stuff for a few weeks long trip, but I donโ€™t want to take it for months on end.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading all :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I just came from Sayulita, I was there for a month, I had really bad luck with the internet, it was a constant struggle. Iโ€™m back in Puerto Vallarta now, the internet here seems very good, never had a problem with it constantly resetting like I did in the smaller towns (such as Sayulita and Bucerias) along the coast . Although I donโ€™t run webinars, I have participated in few for my profession while in PV and didnโ€™t have a problem. PV also has the other amenities your looking for I believe.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I canโ€™t speak to the internet issue since the place I stayed wasnโ€™t great for that, but Sayulita, Mexico is a great little coastal town - colorful, lots of surfing and yoga, a large expat population, tons of tourism (and, thus, lots of English spoken), great salsa nights, and a really lovely little resort nearby.

If Iโ€™m remembering correctly, the one other digital nomad I met there said her place had good internet. But I donโ€™t know how much Skyping/webinars she was doing.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the info - sounds like my kind of town :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

download speeds donโ€™t matter, you need fast upload speeds if youโ€™re going to run webinars. Thatโ€™s where youโ€™ll run into issues. There are some people in Playa now and you could ask them in the Mexico slack channel to run some speed tests.

I lived in Mexico for years, but not in the areas youโ€™re looking for so I canโ€™t offer much feedback on them.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Good info on the importance of upload speeds - I didnโ€™t know that, so thanks very much for pointing that out :smile:

Any idea on what would be the minimum upload speed required?

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you had good internet in Meridaโ€ฆ so I know thatโ€™s not right on the coast, but if we have to, will definitely consider staying further inland. Is the internet there good enough for running webinars?

re: slack - Just paid to joinโ€ฆ will ask as soon as the invite arrives in my inbox!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I donโ€™t know what kind of speed youโ€™d need to run a webinar. my friend does online skype training and she looks for a minimum of 1 up, preferably 2.

I would think you can get that in Merida if youโ€™re in a longer term place and can upgrade your internet. It isnโ€™t something I worry about so Iโ€™ve not looked into it,

Since youโ€™re going to be there 10 months, make sure youโ€™re ok with hot and humid. :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yeah, hot and humid is fine with usโ€ฆ been in that here in SE Asia for ages, in fact, when we went to Hong Kong recently and it was โ€œonlyโ€ 25C, we were cold lol Our bodies have really adjusted to daily temps of 30C+

Good to know itโ€™s possible to get better quality internet though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@joannou 5yr

Hi @Sheralyn! Where did you end up moving to? Iโ€™m considering a move to Panama for summer of 2019 but Iโ€™m concerned about finding reliable internet. -Kendra

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

and even if you are in a malaria zone, i wouldnโ€™t take prevention meds because they barely work and the side effects suck.

youโ€™re going to have some challenges finding what youโ€™re looking for with the internet you need. maybe one of the coworking spaces in Playa but even those have occasionally dodgy internet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

re: internet

Hmmmโ€ฆ so maybe thereโ€™s no hope for Mexico or Panama then, huh?

Weโ€™re into our second year in SE Asia, and ready for a change of scenery.

re: malaria - weโ€™re just extra cautious because weโ€™re doing this with kidsโ€ฆ so if the โ€œpowers that beโ€ recommend anti-malarials, weโ€™ll take them. Did that for 3 weeks in Cambodia, and we all tolerated it just fine, but I donโ€™t want to be somewhere that itโ€™s recommended for 10 months is allโ€ฆ :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Both Mexico and Panama seem to have OK internet:

http://testmy.net/country/pa

Panama is 4mbps, Mexico is 10mbps average download.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the info! Iโ€™m glad that at least Iโ€™ve got lots of time to research this hehe

We really want to check out central Americaโ€ฆ but gotta find a home base with awesome internet.

Whatโ€™s worked well for us in SE Asia is to rent a place for long enough that we can sign up for whatever is the fastest locally available internet (as opposed to getting stuck in short-term rentals where all you get is the typical slow speed internet).

Hoping we can do likewise in Mexico or Panamaโ€ฆ would love to know if anyone else has done this. :grinning:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 9yr

Malaria is hardly a risk in Panama, see http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/central-america/panama/panama-malaria-map.aspx

Iโ€™m in Colombia, which supposedly is a risk zone, and even here itโ€™s hardly a risk if you stay in the cities.

I wouldnโ€™t be too scared of it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

True, the risk isnโ€™t major, but at some times of the year, my understanding is that malaria prophylaxis is recommended in certain areas.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/country_table/p.html

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are restaurants, cafes and malls working in Mexico City taking into account COVID situation?

in Mexico by @thateverdmitriy 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I am planning to travel to Mexico City next weekend and stay for 7-10 days there. I wonder if cafes, stores and other places like these work? And if cafes work, do they work as usual or only for take away&delivery? Will be very thankful if someone can help here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone want to share an airbnb villa in Mexico?

in Mexico by @wouternomad 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

I will be traveling/working through Mexico with my dog February to April. My plan is to stay in Sayulita for about 2-4 weeks, then travel south along the cost.

Is there anyone who wants to share an airbnb apartment? I was thinking of renting a private villa, but because these are large and have multiple rooms, I was wondering if there are fellow nomads wanting to share? Iโ€™m open to other locations as well (Puerto Vallerta, Oaxaca, and everything in between these two locations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody bring their car to Mexico instead of flying?

in Mexico by @digitaldiva 4yr 4 years ago  | 2 comments

Iโ€™m curious whether anyone drove to Mexico instead of flying and used their car down there. Iโ€™ve heard bad stories of people driving down there but not sure I believe them. How safe is it to drive through rural areas, and to park in cities? It would be cool to have the car to explore while there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to live for 6+ months per year

in Indonesia by @miklaskroager 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

We're looking for a country in South East Asia that can function as our base, mainly for tax purposes. Meaning it will have to be a place where we can stay for the 183 days required without too much hassle.

We've been looking at Thailand, but have heard that it's very hard to do visa runs etc., so what other can you recommend? Indonesia looked like a good option, but the income rate is a flat 20% and very high for the region.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it easy to renew your tourist visa for 6 months in Colombia?

in Colombia by @julien 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone,
I will come to live in Colombia for one year.
What is the best solution with the Visa?
I thought to have a Visa for tourists for 3 months and renewal the visa for 6 months. Is that hard to renewal a tourist Visa in Colombia?
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Julien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What neighborhoods to stay in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @azurio 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi guys!

Know Mexico City?

We are here for 4 more nights. We want to get a good feel for how it would be to live here as nomads.

What neighborhoods should we check out? What cafรฉs should we peep? What peeps should we meet?

Haha, thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the nomads in Mexico City?

in Mexico City , Mexico by @shellyfish 4yr 4 years ago  | 9 comments

I just landed as a n00b digital nomad in Mexico City, and I am wonderingโ€ฆ Where are all the international digital nomads hiding around here? I have been to several coworking spaces (Selina etc.) only to find A LOT of local Mexican workers and businesses. Donโ€™t get me wrong, that is all fine, but I was hoping to meet some international nomads! Any advice?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to recyle in Panama?

in Panama by @karlamoura 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m in a small town on the coast of Panama, and I was told that here they donโ€™t separate the organic from the reciclable residues. Have you been anywhere in Panama? Have you recycled?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheap Cities in Mexico & South America with Fastest Wifi

in Mexico by @jnomad30 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi Guys,
Iโ€™m planning out my next stops after leaving Medellin, Colombia soon where I can hunker down and get some work done with fast wifi and cheap living. Will be in Mexico first so starting a look there but wondering if coming back down to South America might make more sense?
My main concerns are budget and fast enough wifi for me to work from home. Other considerations are some nomad community (ideally also some English speaking expats as my Spanish is basic) and warm enough weather.
Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to stay in Australia for longer than 3 months

in Australia by @rose_davis 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey there!

Iโ€™m planning on spending 3 months in Australia next year on a tourist visa. Iโ€™ve already gotten my working holiday visa (in 2017), but unfortunately didnโ€™t get to take advantage of the full year (only stayed 3 months).

My boyfriend will be able to get his working holiday visa before we go, so Iโ€™m wondering if anyone knows of a way that I might be able to extend my stay (6 months would be ideal, if longer I wouldnโ€™t complain).

Iโ€™d like to do this legally of course, so Iโ€™m wondering about a student visa. Anyone have experience getting this to extend their stay?

And other workarounds that might be worth exploring?

Might also be worth noting โ€“ Iโ€™ll be working while Iโ€™m there (for a US-based company) and I am American.

Appreciate the help!

Rose

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best coworking spaces in Playa del Carmen, Mexico?

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @simone_scarduzio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Would you recommend โ€œWork Zoneโ€ http://www.oficinasplaya.com over Nest?
Do you have other coworking spaces there you would recommend?

And where is a good place to stay (i.e. coliving)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any dentist recommendation for Mexico city?

in Mexico by @deemoun 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey everyone, any recommendations for a dentist in a Mexico city? Particularly in Roma/La Condesa neighborhoods.
Also, should I buy any dental insurance or just pay cash?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks much.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's better? Puerto Vallarta vs. Playa del Carmen in Mexico?

in Puerto Vallarta , Mexico by @oskar 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Iโ€™m going to travel to Mexico by the end of february and i would like to know which place do you recommend to stay at for a month or so. Which one would fit better for a digital nomad? Pros and Cons for each place are welcomed :smile:

thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone plan on applying to the Vermont $10,000 remote work incentive?

by @wagmanben 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vermont-pay-10-000-move-110056645.html

Hello All,
Saw Vermont rolled out an incentive to get more remote workers to live there, Does anyone plan on applying and If so why? Reason Iโ€™m asking is I work for an organization in Tulsa, Ok that wants to also bring in Nomads, and would love to hear your thoughts on what such a plan should look like

Any help would be Awesome!
Ben

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

San Pancho, Mexico for digital nomads?

in Mexico by @proghani 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hey! Trying to learn more about digital nomad locations in Mexico. Anyone living in San Pancho (San Francisco), Mexico? Do you recommend it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mexico City, Medellin or Buenos Aires?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @rayhanv 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

So Iโ€™m taking the plunge and will be going nomad in less than 3 months from now!

My situation is that I just started a semi-remote contract with a startup that has a good chance to go fully remote in 3 months time if all goes well.
I will be heading over to Chang Mai at some point, but have decided to do a month or two in South America first, just so that the time difference isnโ€™t so crazy while dealing with the team back home (skype/ hangout meetings in the morning etc)

The current cities on my radar are Mexico City, Medellin and Buenos Ares.
Basically, I am looking for a place that is has a relatively low cost of living, is safe for expats, has good internet and doesnโ€™t have too much of a language barrier.

If anyone has lived in any of those cities ( or other nomad friendly spots in SA/CA), would love to get your thoughts on which place would be ideal for a 1-2 month stay based on my situation.
Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How long does a non-resident Canadian Citizen need to stay out of Canada to maintain non-resident status, per year?

in Canada by @balindsieber 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey fellow nomads. I have an interesting situation.

Iโ€™m a Canadian Citizen whoโ€™s been a resident of the United States for the last 12 years (work VISA). I incorporated my LLC in Hong Kong and have been a nomad for about 6 months.

I just spoke to my Accountant and he says that I will only have to pay taxes to HK, because Iโ€™m not a resident of either US or CAN. Thatโ€™s amazing news as both places suck for taxes.

Iโ€™m currently in Colombia but I spent the first 2 months of this year in Canadaโ€”I want to make sure I stay out of Canada long enough to remain a non-resident.

Does anyone know what that amount of time is?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Short term (1-3 months) in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jodie_taylor 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m just interested on anyones experience of renting short term (1-3 months) accommodation in Medellin, Colombia.

I had a look on Airbnb of course, lots of places, on the more expensive which isnโ€™t a huge issueโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just wondering if in anyones experience itโ€™s better to take a room for a week and shop around when I get there or whether I should just book a month upfront? I recently had a bad experience with Airbnb so not dying to go down that road again just yet if Iโ€™m honest.

Iโ€™ll be arriving in Medellin from November onwards over the Xmas period and likely through till January, maybe longer. Another friend is coming with me so we could potentially rent a 2 bed apartment, or Iโ€™d also be happy in a studio or a private room in a decent house even. Iโ€™m thinking El Poblano or Laureles, as we are two girls with limited Spanish.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Medellin, Bogota or Panama? Any recommendations?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @xdrewx 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Medellin, Bogota or Panama? Any recommendations on a 6 month stay with the intent of learning spanish and running an ecommerce business(good wifi)?

Where is a good place to learn Spanish? I am coming in with an intermediate level of Spanish.

Where is the internet quality good enough?

Many thanks!
Drew

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
738ms