Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,984) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International health insurance without having a permanent residence?

by @fabyliechti 8yr  | 30 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m a Swiss Citizen but full time traveler (living a few month there and there) and therefore donโ€™t have a permanent residence/home anywhere in the world.

For this reason, Iโ€™m as well not registered in Switzerland and therefore donโ€™t have medical care since I would have to pay at least 200$ monthly for medical care which I wonโ€™t use since Iโ€™m not living there.

As a in Switzerland unregistered Swiss Citizen I donโ€™t have medical care in Switzerland but, however based on Swiss Law Iโ€™m always allowed to return to Switzerland, register and then get medical coverage (f.e. in a medical emergency).

So now I was looking for both, an international health insurance with good coverage and an additional travel insurance for my trips. Unfortunately every insurance I check, I got asked for a permanent residence - which I donโ€™t have and donโ€™t want to. So I donโ€™t know what to fill out and if I still can get insurance without having a permanent residence.

I was wondering if there are any nomads here with a similar situation like me and (not registered anywhere and without a permanent residence)? If so, what health insurance, travel insurance you have and where?

PS. As well Iโ€™m not sure if it is kind of illegal not having a permanent residence anywhere plus where do I have to pay taxes?

Would be extremely grateful for any help on those matters - thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@pri143u 7yr

I didnโ€™t read all the above comments, but Cigna Insurance offers a very comprehensive build your own plan option and they seemed to be affordable. They also never asked me for a permanent residence, just my country of citizenship. Plus their span of worldwide coverage is great!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

From my experience, if you are young, have a healthy lifestyle (have habit of working out weekly etc), and you travel oftenโ€ฆyou are better off with pay per use than insurance.

Personally, Iโ€™m from US, with my income, the health insurance I have to pay is very unfair. So what I do is I stop by Singapore or Taiwan for my annual check up etc. You get better health service and lower cost if opt-out insurance.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@replay 8yr

@fabyliechti Thx for asking that question. Iโ€™m in the exact same situation: Swiss citizen without residency.

As of yet Iโ€™m using Cigna Global, as my residency I just gave them the address of a friend in Switzerland, but I am quite worried that once I actually need them theyโ€™ll use that as an excuse to not pay anything.

Due to CRS (Common Reporting Standard) being introduced in Switzerland in 2018 Iโ€™m planning to get a residency in an โ€œeasyโ€ country with territorial income tax like Paraguay and file taxes there. I donโ€™t know how Swiss banks will handle clients that have no tax residency once CRS is active, but I prefer not to find out. That will also allow me to put the health insurance on that address without giving them excuses to not pay, because Iโ€™ll be able to proof that this is my official residency.

As as side node, Iโ€™d never trust anything an insurance tells you on the phone. Iโ€™ve had cases (with another insurance) where theyโ€™ve promised me anything I asked for, but once it came down to paying the reply was โ€œthereโ€™s a clause XYZ in the contractโ€. My conclusion is: read the contract and rely on nothing else than whatโ€™s written there :wink:

Regarding your second question:
As far as I know itโ€™s not illegal to not have a tax residency (Iโ€™ve been doing it for years). I have a confirmation from the Swiss tax authorities telling me I do not need to pay taxes as long as Iโ€™m not a resident, which is kind of exceptional because many other countries would require you to pay taxes to the country of your citizenship if you donโ€™t file them somewhere else, but you can run into trouble when doing stuff like opening bank accounts / companies or trying to get a driving license. As mentioned above, starting from 2018 Switzerland will start implementing CRS which might change things, so I think itโ€™s better to get all the residency stuff sorted before that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Reporting_Standard

What is illegal in most countries is to work on a tourist visa (which I assume you do).
Furthermore, if you stay in any of the Schengen countries for more than 3 Months you are required to register as a resident, in some countries you can be fined for not doing so. And Iโ€™ve โ€œheardโ€ from unreliable sources that if you stay within the Schengen area for more than half of a year youโ€™re technically required to register as a resident in any one of the Schengen countries, thatโ€™s to prevent you from going forth and back between a bunch of them to avoid getting taxed, but Iโ€™ve never heard of this being enforced.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi, Iโ€™m in a similar situation now.

I also spend around 3 months per country, and now Iโ€™m looking to get an international health insurance that will cover all medical treatments, instead of just a travel insurance for emergencies. Iโ€™m from Venezuela, and the idea that the travel insurance will just ship me back to my home country to get treated for something major is horrific at the moment.

So, I would like to know if anyone here had used and made claims with: Integra Global, IMG, or Cigna Global. I need some honest reviews, the ok, the good, the ugly.

I was leaning towards Integra Global but I couldnโ€™t find 1 single costumer review about the company claim process, which I think is really weird and fishy for a company that has 10 years in the market.

IMG has a couple of really bad reviews online that make me doubt, and Cigna (the only one that seems to have good reviews online regarding the claiming process) only offers โ€œinpatientโ€ care in their core plan, and adding the Outpatient option doubles the prices and makes it super expensive. So, Iโ€™m torn.

Please help :slight_smile: Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Mari,

I used IMG and had a terrible experience. They ignored my claims and never even acknowledged them even though I wrote to them over and over again to confirm receipt. I would not recommend them.

Now Iโ€™m with GeoBlue, who I love. I donโ€™t know if you have looked into them, but theyโ€™ve been great to me. I pay about $160 per month (so a bit more than IMG), but they have helped me set up two appointments so far (in six months of having the insurance), both with competent English-speaking doctors, and both times they set up direct billing and paid the full bill. I didnโ€™t owe anything. Theyโ€™re great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@gigigriffis Iโ€™ve just finished 3 full (I mean, 8 hour days) of research for medical insurance and Iโ€™ve also decided on GeoBlue. The only con of thier coverage is they donโ€™t provide complimentary 30 days emergency only cover in the US so Iโ€™ll have to get another insurance while Iโ€™m in the US, but thatโ€™s not a big deal. I evaluated 7 insurers based on recommendations from research related to digital nomad medical insurers and if anyone wants to see my spreadsheet, just send me an email [email protected] or ping me here.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ahshiman 7yr

hi, I would actually love to see that spreadsheet if you donโ€™t mind! I went with World Nomads in the past but would like to see what other options are out there.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As a Swiss digital nomad whoโ€™s currently in the exact same boat as you find yourself I can honestly say that the information in this thread has been extremely valuable. Thanks so much for this.

I am curious about one more thing! I currently hold a โ€œKrankentaggeldversicherungโ€ which would pay me CHF 5โ€™750 every month after the first 90 days after becoming permanently/temporarily invalid for a total of two years. My father has actually suggested to do this, since he made a good case for it being useful given that I am self-employed and Iโ€™d want some extra cash in case shit hits the fan.

Do you happen to know if it is possible to have a KTG contract with an insurer in Switzerland without a permanent residency? Furthermore, is something like that possible outside of Switzerland through a Nomad insurer?

Curious about that one.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@claudi 8yr

I am also a full time traveler and a citizen of Australia. This whole travel or rather health insurance issue is and has been doing my head inโ€ฆ
My understanding now is that unfortunately the policies of insurers do not cater for nomads. Our lifestyle does not fit into their boxes and that is why you/we run into those difficulties. The likes of WorldNomads just use fancy/glamorous terms in order to attract customers but they all usually rely on global underwriters like Allianz etc.
As already mentioned form the insurers perspective we all have to have a country of residency so that they can ship us back when medical treatment becomes too expensive for them. Plus you/we will only be covered for emergency treatment and not for regular check ups etc but those are ok to good and inexpensive in many countries around the world nowadays. Plus they exclude pre-existing conditions or make you pay dearly for cover. Also as already mentioned you are covered everywhere but in your country of residence which causes issues when we/you go back for a visit unless there is public health insurance (like Medicare in Australia).
The issue that has not been mentioned yet and to which I have not found a solution is that most travel (health) insurers (minus the expensive expat ones) will only cover you for one or two years which means for now it looks like I might have to go back every two years in order to buy a new insurance. Even though I might consider going back home for a little while every now and again anyway I hate being dictated into that by the necessity of acquiring an insurance policy. Keen to hear your thoughts and possible solutions on this!!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hey @Claudi, yes, I understand completely. It caused me a real headache. :wink: And yes, itโ€™s indeed true that the digital nomad lifestyle does not (yet) fit into the boxes of insurances, governments & Co. However, there are solutions somehow, itโ€™s just a bit difficult and time consuming to find them. Itโ€™s interesting to hear your knowledge and experiences, thanks for sharing. And yes, I totally understand that insurances need to have a country of residence in case of repatriation.

The issue with the cover duration I havenโ€™t thought about yet and itโ€™s definitely an important point which Iโ€™ll have to go into as well. As of today, unfortunately I donโ€™t have any knowledge or experience about this topic but maybe other nomads from this forum?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 8yr

Hey Faby

I was in the EXACT same situation as you a good half a year ago. I say exact because Iโ€™m Swiss too, am unregistered and have no permanent address anymore and neither a registered business. I was also puzzled about this permanent address question even by insurances like World Nomads which call themselves insurance for nomads like we are. In the end I came to the same conclusions as already mentioned by others here: In case we would need any long term treatment, they want to be able to ship us back to a country where we would get insurance covered by the state or a private company which has to take us for the mandatory health insurance by law, like in Switzerland. I somehow understand this, as otherwise it wouldnโ€™t make sense that one pays 60$/month for World Nomads, but 200-300 CHF a month for a Swiss health insurance (which in fact cover more than World Nomads which is actually a travel insurance covering emergency treatment expenses only, but thatโ€™s all what you really need).

You probably would anyway agree and ask to be treated back in your home country (where family and friends probably live) in very severe cases, so I understand the question of permanent residency more as the โ€œtheoreticalโ€ country of residence or actually the country which you are a citizen in.

So I signed up for World Nomads and feel Iโ€™m covered enough with them, but have luckily never used them. knock on wood. The only annoying thing is that when I visit my home country, Iโ€™m not covered and technically would need to buy a monthly so called โ€œguest insuranceโ€ (you get them from all major insurances, I checked e.g. with Swica where it costs around 180 CHF if I remember correctly). Last time I believed in my good fate instead ;-).

As a Swiss I can additionally recommend you to pay as little as 30 CHF a year to become a donor of Rega, which would do repatriation from any country by air (they will deal with the health insurance that you would join back in Switzerland to get their cost covered if possible, or cover it themselves if they canโ€™t find an agreement, as a friendโ€™s friend told me who works for them as โ€œair nurseโ€ :slight_smile: ) This would save you lots of time and effort if any time needed.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Philippe

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@fippu82 Thank you, Philippe, for all those informations. Itโ€™s so nice to meet another Swiss Nomad. :wink: Well, thatโ€™s indeed really interesting and helps me lot further. Iโ€™ve never actually considered only to buy a โ€œtravel insuranceโ€ but you made me think about it. Of course that would make it a lot easier. However, what if Iโ€™m traveling in a country and get sick and need to go see a doctor? I guess this wonโ€™t be covered? Or how do you handle that?

Very good tip about the guest insurance in Switzerland and REGA!

In regards of World Nomads, when I contacted them, they told me - on my question if I qualify being a permanent resident of Switzerland - that itโ€™s up to me to decide if I classify as a permanent resident of Switzerland based on the criteria theyโ€™ve sent me as I need to meet โ€œALL the criteria listed in the emailโ€ (see below). They weโ€™re actually unable to give me any advice on this.

Because I need to meet ALL the criteria I got really confused as by reading through them, I donโ€™t think qualify. Here the info which was sent to me:

Your country of residence is:

• the country youโ€™d want to be repatriated back to if there was a medical emergency during your travels which meant you required ongoing medical care. (yes, thats clearly Switzerland)
  • In your country of residence youโ€™re expected to have access to private or public medical coverage (yes but first I would re-register again)
  • a residential address/home (NO, i donโ€™t have that and thats why I think I donโ€™t classify)
  • as well as a visa/passport that allows you to leave and enter the country without restrictions. (yes, I have)

In the policy wording for Switzerland (https://www2.worldnomads.com/policy_wording.aspx?pid=6966e36eaf0b4343934b208b915bbfef) "we define your country of permanent residence as the country where you have your permanent home (no, I donโ€™t have this permanent home) or principal establishment (no, donโ€™t have either) and to where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return (yes, that would be Switzerland).

So after reading all that, I think Iโ€™m not qualified to make a travel insurance with World Nomads since I donโ€™t meet ALL of their criteria. Or what do you think, @fippu82?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 8yr

Happy to help, @fabyliechti ! Yes, WorldNomads.com is a travel insurance, but that doesnโ€™t mean they only pay for delayed flight or things like that, but also for medical expenses in case of accidents/sickness. I was also confused first about the term โ€œtravel insucranceโ€, as we normally have the word โ€œhealth insuranceโ€ in mind. But this can be read on their website:

You need Medical help for sudden illness or injury:
We cover emergency overseas medical treatment including treatment in a clinic or hospital, plus medicines and physiotherapy as prescribed by your treating Doctor to get you well and keep you travelling.

So your question if your doctorโ€™s visit is covered should be answered by this. In short: Yes it is :slight_smile:

And yes, the criteria in the terms are confusing. Especially for an insurance for long time travelers. Quite silly I would sayโ€ฆ :flushed: But hey, itโ€™s an insurance, and thatโ€™s still a dry business which is based completely on policies, even though they have a modern branding. So I wouldnโ€™t take the terms so exactly and literally. For the residential address I simply gave them the address of one of my parents. As simple as that. It could also be a friendโ€™s home. I see no reason that this would make you not eligible for the insurance. After all it could really be that you live with your parents or a friend (at least for the first weeks that is also likely). And the terms donโ€™t ask for a registration in your home country. Thatโ€™s irrelevant (for the insurer).

And yes, if you had to abort your long-term traveling and return back home for a longer time and treatment, you could register as resident as well as with a health insurance which legally would have to cover you from day 1 in Switzerland. This is what I was told by the friend at REGA based on her experience with their patients (often pensioners who have to come back from Thailand :slight_smile: ). So take my advice and information without guarantee.

Iโ€™m curious, in which country(ies) are you mostly or currently staying?

Phil

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@fippu82 Thanks, Phil, for sharing your opinion and experiences. After being in contact with several international health and travel insurances, I finally got confirmed that I qualify for being Switzerland as my โ€œpermanent residenceโ€ and I can get insured. Even Iโ€™m un-registered as that didnโ€™t matter to them. I also gave them the address of my parents and that was fine. It was World Nomads, BUPA, and IMG Europe who confirmed me that this is OK.

But this solved just the โ€œpermanent residenceโ€ question for being able to make a policy with the above mentioned travel insurances. As for the international health insurance, in fact, there was no insurance company who were able to insure me (Iโ€™m still in contact with CIGNA though and have no definite answer yet). The reason is that my โ€œpermanent residence countryโ€ is Switzerland and none of the insurances were allowed to make a policy with this country since their product didnโ€™t comply with LAMal (Basic health insurance is compulsory in Switzerland and governed by federal law called LAMal).

However, how you suggested, I think too that I will be covered enough with โ€œjustโ€ a travel insurance plus buying an additional โ€œguest insuranceโ€ when Iโ€™m in Switzerland.

So, for my next trip I just bought a travel insurance with World Nomads. BUPA was a lot more expensive actually (was surprised because everybody is saying World Nomads is more expensive than BUPA?). I havenโ€™t got a quote from IMG Europe, so I donโ€™t know if it would have been cheaper/more expensive but the website was not so user-friendly as World Nomads/BUPA, so I went with World Nomads.

I just came back from Chiang Mai, currently staying in Zurich since I have to finish some business here and then Iโ€™ll go to Lisbon. And you?

Also, I wanna thank you so much for all those informations and details you provided me, it actually really helped me a lot - very much appreciated!

Faby
PS. If you like, letโ€™s connect on Insta (if you have) http://instagram.com/fabyliechti

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@fippu82 8yr

PS: Just another thought about the difference health vs. travel insurance: a health insurance could pay for preventative measures, gyms, glasses and also for regular health checkups etc. Of course, this you donโ€™t get from a travel insurance like World Nomads. In my case I happily pay these things out of my own pocket (as itโ€™s anyway cheap in Asia) instead of paying the high fees of a full fledged health insurance like we are used to. I just did a checkup in Bangkok for not much more than 100 US$! Would be at least five times more back home. And the quality/cleanliness was very good!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@fippu82 Yeah, same here. Iโ€™m also fine paying for those things out of my pocket. Thatโ€™s awesome, yes, in Thailand hospitals and doctors are very good, indeed. :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@orca 8yr

My colleague here lives in the US, Switzerland and Costa Rica he swears by http://www.imglobal.com/en/index.aspx it is not over dear for a high level of coverage at US$332 / ยฃ250 a month for him and his partner. As far as ages he is 59 the girlfriend is 37.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@ORCA Thank you very much for this recommendation. I also contacted them a few days ago and like almost every insurance they ask me where would be the place I reside / stay mostly as this would be what they consider to be my residence country.

Well, as of today I have no clue about where Iโ€™m gonna stay mostly because my trips are more or less planned spontaneous. But, for sure I will travel regularly to Switzerland to visit family. So maybe Iโ€™m gonna be there 3-4 month a year maximum (donโ€™t know exactly). But then they said, they do not provide coverage in the location I selected (Switzerland) as my residence country. :wink:

Iโ€™m still in contact with them, so I will see what will be the outcome. :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@loveniniq 8yr

look into cigna. they are internationally recognized, cheap and i think theY dont make an issue of this residency problem. they are a full on health provider. in terms of tax: u pay income tax where ur official residency is, i.e. usually where u stay longer than 182 days. if u run a business, it should be registered anywhere. for that, u gotta pay sales tax, which greatly varies in value depending on tje state. hope that helped!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@nina Thank you, Nina. I contacted CIGNA a few days ago and currently awaiting their reply. As for taxes, Iโ€™m not staying anywhere longer than 3 month, donโ€™t have an official residency anywhere and also donโ€™t have a registered business. So far no insurance I contacted (Allianz, World Nomads, True Traveller, Aetna) wants to cover me but Iโ€™m still awaiting answers of other insurances like BUPA, Clements and Cigna. Hope to find an insurance soon. :wink: Thanks for your help anyway!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@loveniniq 8yr

@fabyliechti u r welcome! keep me posted on this; would love to get some intelligence about it :slight_smile: sorry that i ask bit you made me curious: whatโ€™s your job? Best, Nina

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@nina Yes sure, I will. :wink: Iโ€™m a retired professional dancer and choreographer, creating digital training programs for women through my online school. The school is not yet launched though. And whatโ€™s your job?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@loveniniq 8yr

Hi @fabyliechti, sounds awesome!
I am a Marketing & Business strategist and starting to consult & help others with their strategy (:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Check https://www.truetraveller.com as well, similar to Worldnomads

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@lopesrosanna I contacted them but unfortunately they are only able to insure residents of the UK and other EEA countries. Thanks anyway for the tip. :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@lopesrosanna Cool, thanks a lot.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

The permanent address question is usually because a lot of international travel insurances will ship you back to your home country if that works out cheaper. Fine print alert: Most international travel insurance policies are what you call โ€œsecondary insurance policiesโ€ they are sort of an insurance of an insurance.

So if you put down your Swiss address, for a high cost situation, they might decide to โ€œtransportโ€ you back to Switzerland for treatment (where like you said you could re-register and get treated for freeโ€ฆ) - thatโ€™s where your โ€œprimaryโ€ Swiss coverage kicks in.

This varies in every situation and depends on your country of origin, where you are when you need treatment, the severity, etc. etc. etc.

Putting down your โ€œpermanentโ€ address in your international health insurance as Switzerland (a parent or close relatives address) should not affect your tax situation. Itโ€™s just where the health insurance folks send their policy letters, and will ship you back to, if they have/want to.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@flyonthewall

Many thanks for those helpful informations. The purpose of a permanent address I understand now better. However, most of the insurances I contacted say that they canโ€™t give me coverage as they need a permanent residency.

Or, f.e. โ€œWorld Nomadsโ€ stated: โ€œWe define your country of permanent residence as the country where you have your permanent home or principal establishment and to where, whenever you are absent, you intend to return.โ€

So, yes, I would want to return to Switzerland in case of a medical emergency but no, I donโ€™t have a permanent home and also not a principal establishment, so I think I donโ€™t classify? I asked World Nomads further but they said that itโ€™s up to me to decide if I classify as a permanent resident of Switzerland or not and they canโ€™t give me any advice on this.

Furthermore, they said that World Nomads is not a health insurance policy. It will not cover all of my medical expenses, particularly for medical treatment not considered necessary by our medical specialists.

Anyway, I only read bad reviews about World Nomads so I guess Iโ€™m not sure if this is the right insurance company. Do you might know of any international health insurance which would suit for my situation?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@alex_vt 8yr

@fabyliechti try https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/

While I havenโ€™t used this service myself, it was recommended to me by a friend who travelled in Germany for 3 months. It covers health and travel related expenses, and it is cheaper than your $200 a month bill back home.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@melvillevt Thank you very much for this recommendation. Iโ€™m currently in contact with World Nomads. Before contacting them I only read negative reviews so I was unsure if I should contact them but, however I thought I give it a try. Now, the informations theyโ€™re providing me arenโ€™t very helpful, indeed, so I guess Iโ€™m going to look for other options. However, thanks anyway for the recommendation, I appreciate!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do I get Travel/Medical Insurance for Portugal for visa application from Australia?

in Portugal by @jonathanpoh 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

I'm preparing my Portuguese D7 long-term visa application and one of the required documents is proof of travel insurance with medical coverage. However, as an Australian citizen, if put that as my country of residence in many travel insurance companies' quick quote forms, I'm unable to get ANY insurance coverage at all because of the current travel ban out of Australia, and the Australian govt's 'Do Not Travel' advice to ALL countries. I know that Aussies are applying for, and successfully getting visas from the Portuguese Consulate here, so where and how are they fulfilling this insurance requirement if insurers aren't selling any coverage? Does anybody know or have any ideas?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tax advisor for permanent nomads?

by @eljaques 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I'm in need of a tax advisor who understands "our" typical situation. I'm all good on being legal on taxes at this point, but as I'm doing more investing and there's more compliance and KYC and such, it's getting more complicated to deal with this topic. Not living in my country of citizenship, company in another country, resident in yet another country, banking in a different country ... you know how it is, a pile of red flags.

Would be great to find a good tax advisor to sort things in a way that makes my situation as "explainable" and easily dealt with as possible. Any leads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to learn a language without taking a formal class?

by @zakamercury 4yr 4 years ago  | 5 comments

How to learn a language without taking a formal class, while traveling in different countries?

What advice can you give me?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the best online insurance for digital nomads ?

by @berberos 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys ! hope you are doing well.

I would love to get your feedback regarding the best insurance for digital nomads. i'm traveling around Asia since 1 year and for next 4 or 5 years. Would love to buy an insurance to cover especially :

- health

- laptop, phone ...

- Flights

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get a UK residence address without renting/buying?

by @pavel_maximov 4yr 4 years ago  | 17 comments

Background:
Iโ€™m an EU national IT specialist, recently decided to become a digital nomad. I just left my permanent job in Germany and opened a UK based LTD (for a better taxation) to start a new career as remote working IT contractor. I also want to become a UK resident and pay personal income tax there BUT I donโ€™t want to rent/buy a place because I have no interest in physically living in the UK, as a nomad I will be traveling abroad 100% of the time.

So I just need a UK address where Iโ€™m registered as a resident and could receive mail, but I would never actually be there. I could rent a place and keep it empty but that would be a total waste of money.

Question:
How do I find somebody who could give me an official residence at his/her address and keep my name on the door? Iโ€™m ok with paying a reasonable monthly fee for this โ€œserviceโ€ (but not as high as a rent), and give assurance in whatever form that I will never pretend to physically live there. I have no close friends in the UK to ask for this favor, and trying to propose this to a random landlord would be just weird since they are not familiar with the needs of a digital nomad.

Maybe you guys can suggest me somebody who understand the situation and want to make some extra cash every month to pay the bills? Iโ€™m ready to meet in person, provide full proof of identity or any other document, and to make a written agreement that gives the landlord the freedom to cancel this โ€œsituationโ€ at any time.

Note:
This is NOT for tax evasion, itโ€™s the opposite! I WANT to pay full tax as UK resident, I just donโ€™t want to waste money on a rent which I will literally never use.

I would be very grateful for any advice!

Pavel

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does international health insurance for digital nomads exist?

by @al_steffen 4yr 4 years ago  | 59 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m looking for an international health insurance (no travel insurance) for my nomadic life. It should cover the basic services and at least be accepted in the EU (itโ€™s ok if itโ€™s not accepted in the US as Iโ€™m aware they rarely are). Nice to have: enter into a contract online. Anyone got a good experience or a recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the health and safety in Bali right now amid the global crisis?

by @valentineworld 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

I would like to avoid having to come right back home, ya know? <3

I plan to be in Bali a lot, but if this is a terrible time to go,
it could stunt my future plans of being in Bali for an extended period of time.

Would love to see you guys! <3

@valentineworld

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you invest internationally as a nomad?

by @mateuszwieloch 4yr 4 years ago  | 17 comments

I have finally saved enough money to start investing. What company gives good, diversified access to stock, ETFs and mutual funds? Does it make sense to use company like Vanguard or Fidelity for that? Iโ€™m a EU/Poland citizen, how would I transfer my money back and forth without incurring significant fees?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where can I get travel insurance for "any reason"?

by @tomheartstacos 4yr 4 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi,
Iโ€™m looking for travel insurance that I can use for work. Iโ€™m in the US now, but am moving to Portugal. Iโ€™m looking for travel insurance that I can buy to recover travel costs if my plans change for any reason. World Nomad looks good, but they donโ€™t have the โ€˜Any Reasonโ€™ part. I found a helpful article on The Points Guy site, but for all the policies there, you have to be a US resident and I wouldnโ€™t be then.
Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are wise ways to handle health insurance, as a USA person

by @azurio 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m still struggling to figure out how to handle health insurance.

What handy guides have you found to help figure out USA health care?

Iโ€™m struggling with:

• When itโ€™s okay/wise to go without coverage while abroad, these days.
  • What other type of insurance I want while traveling, and whether it needs to be a supplement to USA insurance or if it can be a replacement.
  • Etc.

Above all, I think I want out. I wonder about success stories in moving to some other system/location, and the method youโ€™d recommend: additional citizenship, a special visa, etc.

I have searched this topic and struggled with it, so summaries and clarity are super helpful. I appreciate any and all help with this. Thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Wich is the better international SIM card for data only service?

by @chelocoach 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Hi there!

Iโ€™m looking for international sim card services. I looked for other posts, and I know there are other alternatives, but Iโ€™m interested to have an international sim-card with only data plan, just to be used while I get a local one.

Alternatives:

ยฟAny experience using any of these services?
thnx!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to be sure of new tax residence?

by @analogmario 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi, Iโ€™m new here.
I am moving out forever.
So I am going to move to another country my residence.
But, in the new country I donโ€™t plan to spend more than 90 days a year for sure, at least itโ€™s not the plan for the first years.

But I want to be sure that my tax residence is in my new country, even if I spend less than 90 days a year.
I want to be sure I wonโ€™t be reclaimed by my original country or any other country that I might end up spending less than 180 days, but more than the less than 90 I expect to spend in my new country(looks like itโ€™s going to be Portugal).

Hope that was understandable.

Does anyone know where I can get information about this kind related to nomadism?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Co-working space in Shanghai WITHOUT monthly payment

in Shanghai , China by @katrin 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Daily/hourly pass needed.
Canโ€™t work in normal cafรฉ because having clientโ€™s laptop for security reasons, canโ€™t use open networks. Working for R&D. Also laptop is so huge it doesnโ€™t fit normal cafe environment because itโ€™s far from discreet.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody recommend US health insurance with global coverage?

by @tylertringas 5yr 5 years ago  | 18 comments

Any US nomads found health insurance with global coverage? My current approach has been to have US health insurance, essentially a waste of money but if I ever got very sick I could go home and have coverage. My actual healthcare is a combination of travel insurance (havenโ€™t really used it much though) and paying cash in cheap places like SE Asia and Latin America. The cobbled together approach is neither simple nor very cost-effective. Love to find a product with global coverage that also satisfies Obamacare requirements. Any leads?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any insurance covers pregnancy with a good price?

by @yuko 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

I will go on a working holiday to Berlin from this October.
Maybe I will fly to Romania, Poland, Hungary or Portugal after spending several months in Germany, if my budget will get tighter.

Iโ€™m considering Safetywing/.com for my insurance because it covers anywhere in the world with a good price. The problem is, German embassy requires females to sign an insurance covers medical cost for pregnancy for a working holiday visa.

People in my country write about Care College from Care Concept (care-concept/.de) , but I think itโ€™s valid only when youโ€™re in Germany.

I wonder if thereโ€™s any an add-on (free-plan) insurance for pregnancy.
Alternatively, an equivalent insurance with support of pregnancy, and same price range as Safetywing/.com.

Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to do without permanent address nor local bank?

by @tradeaway 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

I am soon to find out one way or another as I will leave my residency to become a nomad myself. I have not found a good solution for Bali or Asian countries on the internet.

I read our existing Nomadlist posts under Money tag. Money handling and charges around accessing it seem to be a big issue for nomads, soon my issue. As a post I read said, accessing money for a Nomad can be harder than making money. I am more worried about accessing money than having some.

Iโ€™ll use Transferwise Borderless account to keep my day to day living money. I am opening a Pte Ltd corporate, that only goes for business-related expenses.
My Canadian credit card will charge me an arm and a leg in fees and currency conversion for me to get Indonesian Rupiah in Bali from Canadian dollar account. Then at some point, my credit card will complain I am not in Canad anymore.
Not knowing better, Iโ€™ll try that. If that works good and still live me short on how to go for smaller and random daily expenses.

Thanks for your help!
Enjoy your Nomad living!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody with a software consultancy having issues finding clients while travelling?

by @raz 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

I recently started running a software consultancy in the UK that specialises in MVP development and onboarding/marketing strategies. I found it relatively easy to get leads by attending networking events (quite a lot here in Edinburgh).

I plan to start travelling soon, though. Has anybody tried to travel while running a software consultancy? Iโ€™m really curious to find out how you handled finding new clients while doing that. Letโ€™s say that if I go networking somewhere in Asia I wonโ€™t find clients willing to spend much on a project (and canโ€™t just pay my employees less because I canโ€™t find good paying projects).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Health Insurance for Europeans?

by @patrickheneise 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi there, Iโ€™m currently looking at Allianz Global and IM Global as a health insurance for long-term travel in Asia. Any experiences with those two or are there better options for European residents?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage receiving mail without a permanent address in the Philippines?

in Philippines by @kaizenpreneur 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello all,

I have a mail management service in the UK which all my mail gets sent to. This works fine 90% of the time and most can be dealt with digitally.

The other 10%, I need the mail sent on to me, which they do offer as a service. However, where I struggle is giving them an address to send it to in the Philippines, namely Manila.

Iโ€™ve used DHL for really important stuff, like bank cards, but it would be nice to have an address where I can forward certain mail. Anyone been able to set something up like this in the Philippines? Would a virtual office allow me to receive mail?

Thanks in advance

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
497ms