Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a job in Argentina or Brazil?

in Argentina by @podviaznikov 9yr  | 9 comments

Whatโ€™s the best way to find a designer or developer job for one year in Argentina or Brazil?

Iโ€™m thinking about traveling super slow - 1 year per country.

What would be the best strategy to find full-time work in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile)?

Anyone did something similar?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lucha54 7yr

I wouldnโ€™t work in Argentina. If you donโ€™t have a work visa, youโ€™ll get terribly underpaid jobs that are basically meant for foreigners who coming for 6-12 months and have a lot of savings to live off of. If you get a work visa and a real job it will still be super low pay. Itโ€™s a better place to either work remotely in a foreign currency, or just go for a sabbatical with plenty of savings and just enjoy daily life. Itโ€™s a pain to work there. If you work downtown, itโ€™s more stressful than Manhattan.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks @juan for a lot of information to think about!
I have a friend who also just stayed in Sรฃo Paulo without proper visa.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I lived and worked in Brazil for 3.5 years without a proper visa (I have 3 passports, so I went in and out of the country every 3 months) by working as an English teacher at an independent school (the large ones ask for work visas) and as a freelance editor, writer and translator, mostly at Time Out Sรฃo Paulo. I have friends who overstayed and didnโ€™t have any problems, Brazil doesnโ€™t really look for illegal immigrants/workers, so if your plan is to stay there for 1 year and then leave, I wouldnโ€™t worry about it too much. Your overstay fine isnโ€™t due until you return to the country and expires after 5 years, so as long as you stay out for that long, you wonโ€™t have to pay. Even if you do return, the max fine was R$800 last I checked (about 225 euros).

As for finding work, start at the InterNations, Couchsurfing and MeetUp meetings and network your ass off and youโ€™ll make the contacts you need in no time.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am from Argentina, and I highly recommend you to work remotely if you are planning to come here.
A Argentinian company will paid you a insignificant salary if you compare it with a US Company. A normal salary can go from 9000 ARS to 16000 ARS ( 750 USD to 1300 USD ).
Anyway, if you need to work here you can check for work at bumeran.com.ar

I donโ€™t know how visas works for foreign people, but if you need to refresh it and you are in Buenos Aires, you can just take a ferry to Uruguay and come back in the same day.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you! That is very close to what I thought: either get student visa (for language courses), or get work visa from local company, or invest money.
Language courses are good option for me. Iโ€™m interested in that. But I was also curios about working visa.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@frnco 9yr

Since itโ€™s my country, I thought it would be nice to help translate some of the information, so here goes:

You may come to Brazil as a tourist and stay for 180 days a year on multiple stays, never for more than 90 consecutive days.

Having a โ€œStable Unionโ€ with a brazilian partner gets you permanent residence (So, living together with a boyfriend or girlfriend, even for same-sex relationships). Investing R$ 150 thousand ( US$ 50,000.00 to US$75,000.00, as the Real is fluctiating between 2 and 3 for a Dollar. The real tends to stabilize at around 2 Reais for a Dollar and sometimes falls beneath that, so keep that in mind).

All temporary โ€œworkโ€ visas are pretty awful and need a company to โ€œstand by youโ€. One apparent exception is if you intend on teaching a language, which apparently makes it easier. The most usual apparently is valid for 2 years and it costs 100 Euros. Student visas may bring you trouble with taxes, not sure if worth it, especially considering low cost and how โ€œopenโ€ Brazil is to immigration. Try calling a brazilian consulate and ask away if you have somewhat of a plan. :smiley:

One important thing to notice is that Brazilians are really receptive to immigrants, even illegal ones. May be not everyone will love you, but generally Brazilians do not see immigrants as โ€œstealing their jobsโ€, and the laws and government also make it pretty easy because we see it as something good for the country.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@frnco 9yr

As a Brazilian, some things:

Development in Brazil is usually done in Cheap. Freelancing is mostly done through Networking and pay is short. If you get a job at a bigger company, maybe you have a shot at earning more, and I can refer you to good places, but usually itโ€™s intense, at least 40 hours a week, and the pay is not really great, especially when considering US companies paying for remote Jobs.

If you still want to work with a brazilian company, you have a startup ecossystem in the three southernmost states (Better pay, better flexibility), lots of big, rigid companies in Sรฃo Paulo (Some with better pay, some with more flexibility, usually not the same ones), and a lot of opportunities pretty much everywhere else (Small businesses, freelancing, pr agencies and even some startups etc., usually lots of hard work for low pay, with very rigid structures, or freelancing DIY).

As for Argentina, do not work for an Argentinian company. The country is in a pinch, and itโ€™s looking awfully bad right now. Earn from somewhere else and it will be a breeze, get you pay in their currency and you may find yourself in financial trouble pretty soon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for all the information. Then there is another question: how to move to Argentina or Brazil for 1 year without getting working visa from the local company?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@podviaznikov I think the best way would be to look for a remote job regardless of where the actual people that hire you are, you can be in Argentina and they elsewhere, I think a good start would be at remoteok.io

This way I also think you will get paid more then a local Argentinian business can pay you.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Mexico City, Medellin or Buenos Aires?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @rayhanv 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

So Iโ€™m taking the plunge and will be going nomad in less than 3 months from now!

My situation is that I just started a semi-remote contract with a startup that has a good chance to go fully remote in 3 months time if all goes well.
I will be heading over to Chang Mai at some point, but have decided to do a month or two in South America first, just so that the time difference isnโ€™t so crazy while dealing with the team back home (skype/ hangout meetings in the morning etc)

The current cities on my radar are Mexico City, Medellin and Buenos Ares.
Basically, I am looking for a place that is has a relatively low cost of living, is safe for expats, has good internet and doesnโ€™t have too much of a language barrier.

If anyone has lived in any of those cities ( or other nomad friendly spots in SA/CA), would love to get your thoughts on which place would be ideal for a 1-2 month stay based on my situation.
Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Buenos Aires Must Sees, Eats & Drinks?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @jivins11 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m new here so please correct me if I am doing this wrong. I will be in Buenos Aires for the month of April. Being such a large city, pinpointing what I want to do while Iโ€™m there has been difficult!

I am taking any and all recommodations for Buenos Aires things to do!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is the situation with exchange rate on ATM's in Argentina after lifting peso regulations?

in Argentina by @janjiss 8yr 8 years ago  | 5 comments

Hello folks,
I wanted to know what is the situation with exchange rate in Argentina after deregulation? Has taking out money from ATM became reasonable?
I am considering Cordoba as one of the next locations to work from, but I do not want to deal with the shady black exchange markets.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should I go for Carnaval in Brazil?

in Brazil by @etc 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™ll be in Rio for 10 days next year during Carvanal. Although Iโ€™m flying into Rio, Iโ€™d like to spend at least half the time somewhere else as well. Iโ€™ve gotten a solid recommendation for Olinda and receptive to other suggestions (or further endorsements of Olinda).

While in Rio, itโ€™s been suggested to avoid Copacabana and possibly find a house in Ipanema to rent. Is this a good suggestion?

What about Olinda?

Any and all recommendations are welcome, solicited and appreciated! Thanks to everyone!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
405ms