First of all I like your website and what you are doing (for what that's worth).
Live in Dubai is not bad at all.
But it is a bit of a country of extremes and not for everyone.
- The country is made for business owners: low regulations and no taxes. No taxes on income or for your business. Often no audits. No tax reporting. Nothing.
- It is not just glamour. 90% expats make that it is the place is filled with young people trying to make something of their life's.
It will be one of the most international places and you can find nice people you hang out with. There is a disproportional amount of materialism and shallowness though.
- There is a lot of money switching hands and the economy is booming again. Opportunities everyhwere.
- Labour is cheap and you can basically outsource everything.
- Crime is non existent, and as long as you bother no-one, there is no one telling you what to do.
- It is one of the easiest places to obtain residency. And this is not just for Westerners. People from everywhere can come here and start a business.
- The summer is terrible. There are 4 months that you have to stay inside because it is to hot.
- In some cases starting out requires some investments not all digital nomads will be willing/able to make.
Also, rents are really rising, and if you want your own place to rent, you have to pay one year in advance (in the form of post dated checks, but if a check bounces you have a month to fix it or go to jail)
- There is sharia law. They are liberal compared to other places, but it creates uncertainty because judgements are completely arbitrary. Government control is strong and big brother is watching. You have to especially be careful not to offend something or someone (like posting on facebook, being loud and drunk, and kissing in public). Now, in the three years I have been there I have never knew someone who has gotten into trouble (the only time when I spoke to a police officer is when he was bored and wanted someone to talk to). But once you cross the line you will be found, thrown in jail for a few months and send back where you came from.
And do NOT get into a dispute with a local.
Let me know when you have more questions.
P.s. resident permit stays valid for three years as long as you visit the country once every 6 months.