Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the quality of wifi & 3G in Amed, Bali?

in Amed , Indonesia by @adrienbetweets 7yr  | 3 comments

Hi all!

I am considering going for 1+ month in Amed (to get more into freediving).

I need to be able to make Skype calls & other work-related tasks. I need a speed equivalent to one allowing me to watch Youtube videos.

Ubud is way more connected in comparison, so I donโ€™t expect anything wonderful.

Wondering if anyone has done this before & if yes: what 3G
provider they used, or what cafe/restaurant/hotel had a good/reliable
enough wifi connection.

Note that I went to Amed last year & the 3G connection on the 2 providers I used at the time was terrible. Thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m asking for help.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also posted this question on travel.stackexchange.com/questions/82403/quality-of-wifis-3g-reception-in-amed-bali

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kmander 7yr

Big changes to 4g coverage in the last year. Been a while since I was as far north as Amed, but Iโ€™m almost always on 4g these days in Ubud/South. Biznet is also currently laying fibre cable all around the perimeter of the island (ie. through Amed), so eventually there will be very good internet (Iโ€™m on a 100mb connection here in Ubud; 30mbps up/down in reality).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi @adrienbe try to use AndroMax Smartfren or SIMPATI provider,
normally that works.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@reen 7yr

My impression from internet in Amed from 12 months ago:
No 4G (3G only). didnโ€™t do to many speed tests. I estimate, that average speed was 3-5 Mbit/s (for Wifi and 3G)
Skype should be possible, but in the end most Wifi around Amed is inconsistent.
So it might work the first day, but have issues the second day.

I am also into freediving and I am going to Phuket for Dec/Jan instead of Bali exactly for the reason of sloppy internet in Bali.
Send me a DM, maybe Phuket is an interesting alternative for you :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Holร  ! What's the internet / wifi situation in Sayulita ?

in Puerto Escondido , Mexico by @ambroisedebret 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

After being told it's unworkable in Puerto Escondido, looking for alternatives :)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place for solo UK traveller for surf, sun & working between Oct and Dec??

in Tenerife , Spain by @leojb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hey Nomads, would love to know any thoughts here.

Top of the list are currently Tenerife, Lagos/Ericeira (Portugal) & Malta??

Would love to know if anyone can vouch for these at this time of year.

Beautiful beach would be the dream. Basically European Bali! I'm sure something many of us are searching for.

Thanks a million. Much love.

Leo

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you ensure that you have good WiFi for working whilst travelling e.g. in places like India?

in India by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

We are hoping to travel later this year and we will be working remotely - how do you ensure you get good WiFi in places such as in India where the signal isn't always great? Do you have any tips on where to go/ what equipment you have to get?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking for a warm place, possibly near the sea with excellent wifi

by @mariaplslourdes 4yr 4 years ago  | 12 comments

hello :wave: Iโ€™m planning my next trip (from January/February), and Iโ€™m looking for a place where itโ€™s hot, with the sea, and good wifi.
At the moment I live in Paris and work with San Francisco times, so preferably I wouldnโ€™t go to Asia.
Iโ€™m thinking, South Africa or South America, what do you recommend?
Thank you

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheap Cities in Mexico & South America with Fastest Wifi

in Mexico by @jnomad30 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi Guys,
Iโ€™m planning out my next stops after leaving Medellin, Colombia soon where I can hunker down and get some work done with fast wifi and cheap living. Will be in Mexico first so starting a look there but wondering if coming back down to South America might make more sense?
My main concerns are budget and fast enough wifi for me to work from home. Other considerations are some nomad community (ideally also some English speaking expats as my Spanish is basic) and warm enough weather.
Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Greece- WIFI- how is it really?

in Greece by @amandamay 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

We are leaving for Greece in 60 days and need good wifi for the 3 months we plan on staying there, this is a must! Iโ€™ve heard mixed reviews and the 8-10 ranking on nomadlist are not super encouraging. Has anyone recently worked from there? What should we expect? We plan on renting an apartment after staying in airbnb and would like to work from the place we are staying in. Thanks so much for helping me decide if we can continue on or change plans.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Estonia E-Residency & CFC

in Estonia by @edusantorini 5yr 5 years ago  | 7 comments

So, Iโ€™ve been looking into e-residency and moving my business to Estonia the past few weeks.
Iโ€™m still a tax resident in Germany and therefore fear Iโ€™ll be suspect to CFC laws. I somehow canโ€™t find any reliable info on this and I donโ€™t feel like reading through the whole law, so just wondering if anyone knows how CFC laws in EU countries come into practice. What taxes do I need to pay exactly? As soon as I cash out (dividends), as far as I can see I need to pay 20% income tax in Estonia. Then what? Of course, I would need to pay income tax in Germany. What taxes do I need to pay besides these?
And if I keep the money in Estonia/reinvest it, am I right that I wouldnโ€™t need to pay any taxes at all? Only for the money I cash out of Estonia/the business?

Iโ€™m by the way not doing this to evade taxes, taxes are secondary. I primarily simply want to move my business activities out of Germany + the all-digital concept and the bookkeeping service of agencies like leapIN are interesting.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Whatโ€™s a good European call & SMS forwarding service?

by @adrienbetweets 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi all

What do you guys use for receiving both sms & calls on a European phone number?

Iโ€™d like to have a phone number that does not change for at least 1 or 2 years.

I did my homework & found this thread but itโ€™s only about US services so I donโ€™t think itโ€™s relevant: Whatโ€™s a good US call and SMS forwarding service?
Also, I looked into Google Hangout but it doesnโ€™t support European phone numbers.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Project Fi (and AT&T Roaming) in Canada

in Canada by @danicatalina 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

Going on 3-6 month #vanlife trip throughout the USA and Canada, and setting up my data connectivity to be able to work on the road. Without going into depth (unless you ask), Iโ€™m trying to figure out options for cell service as a US citizen in Canada, and looking for everyoneโ€™s input:
(1) Project Fi: any experience or feedback on how Fi works in Canada? Iโ€™ll be almost exclusively in British Columbia.
(2) US Carriers: any feedback on AT&T or Verizon?

Thanks, all!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a villa in Bali?

by @juliakostreva 6yr 6 years ago  | 3 comments

My husband and I are looking for a place with nice weather, fast internet, comfortable/modern/nice housing, (hopefully walk to town/shops) and budget friendly for 2-3 months in June-July-August 2018. We are looking at Canggu, Ubud, Bali, Seminyak. I canโ€™t seem to find a good house (the entire place) for less than $1400USD on airbnb, TripAdvisor, VRBO, or Facebook groups. Can anyone recommend a realtor or agent in Bali/Canggu/Ubud that can help me find a place thatโ€™s nice? Or if itโ€™s just unrealistic- where in Southeast Asia (or surrounding) area would you recommend for that kind of nice town, fast internet, and good weather in June, July, August? Thank you!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best way for Canadians to get cash or transfer money in Thailand & SEA?

in Thailand by @artofbryce 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Weโ€™re setting off on our first venture for new digital nomad life in 20 days!

• starting in Chiang Mai as our home base
  • 1 year ED visa
  • planning to bounce around all over

Right now, Iโ€™m utterly baffled and confused by trying to figure out how weโ€™re going to be able to get more cash or transfer money from our bank accounts in Canada. Either at all or without getting charged insane fees.

Iโ€™ve looked through the forum and a lot of solutions put forth with no real luck. Hoping that some Canadians may chime in with solutions, experience or advice.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Am I being silly by worrying about getting Zika in Bali? ๐Ÿ˜•

by @metamas 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Bali was at the top of my short-list of places to go DM for 1-3 months until I saw it had the โ€œZykaโ€ tag on Nomad List :scream: . Iโ€™m not super read-up on the whole state of Zyka, other than occurrences of infection being on a decline (for now), but I am a worrisome enough person about such things that it has got me reconsidering. Though, it still seems to not be stopping the rate of DMs visiting Baliโ€ฆ

Is there cause for large concern here, or I am just being a nut? โ€ฆItโ€™s been known to happen pretty frequently over such things :anguished: :face_with_thermometer: :mask:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is air quality in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

What do you think of the pillotion in Medellin Colombia ? I heard it is not as bad if you live in Poblado as it is further up. Is that true?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best WiFi on the beach in Playa del Carmen

in Playa del Carmen , Mexico by @clusk 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Been in Playa for a day working at Nest. Good spot - but I forget Iโ€™m in a tropical locale. Does anyone have positive WiFi experience with a bar, restaurant, cafe on the beach in Playa del Carmen? It doesnโ€™t have to be rocket fast - just not a slow, unreliable connection.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it feasible to work in deep north of Canada ( in Inuvik) regarding wifi and the like?

in Canada by @albertocanada 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

I want to volunteer at a Sledge dogs training school in the city of Inuvik ( north of Canada) from June onwards. As a travel blogger, this destination is very interesting, mainly due to the Midnight sun at this time of year. However, wifi availability is a real concern. Of course I donโ€™t expect to find coworking spaces but wifi is an essential work tool for us. Any experiences ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Internet quality in Guatemala (esp. Antigua)

in Antigua , Guatemala by @clusk 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Has anyone been to Antigua, Guatemala recently? It is on my list for destinations to stay for a week or so. Wanted to know if anyone has had an experience there recently or could point out a cafe or two to find a decent Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Buenos Aires Must Sees, Eats & Drinks?

in Buenos Aires , Argentina by @jivins11 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Hi! Iโ€™m new here so please correct me if I am doing this wrong. I will be in Buenos Aires for the month of April. Being such a large city, pinpointing what I want to do while Iโ€™m there has been difficult!

I am taking any and all recommodations for Buenos Aires things to do!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Chiang Mai's air quality?

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @albyantoniazzi 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone!
Iโ€™m currently touring South East Asia and Iโ€™m now in Koh Lanta (Thailand). I was planning to visit Chiang Mai on friday, but Iโ€™ve read the air quality in this period is so bad due to fires that are using as a method of cultivating crops there in the north. Is it something to take in consideration or just nothing to care about?
Thanks in advance!
And by the way, if anybody is in Chiang Mai and would like to grab a coffee would also be cool!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Experiences using 3G amplifier in remote areas?

by @adrienbetweets 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m considering traveling with a 3G amplifier.

Has anyone been testing such device while traveling?

I know it sounds ridiculous to travel with such thing, but it would allow one to still be able to work while in rather unusual places, far away from coworking spacesโ€ฆ

Cheers,
Adrien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
588ms