Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,016) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you insure your laptop when you have already left your country of residence?

by @laurie 9yr  | 11 comments

Hello Digital Nomads!

Iโ€™m in a bit of a pickle: I am a Canadian resident currently living a bit everywhere in Europe. Iโ€™m starting a trip around the world in March while I keep doing freelance work. I know want to insure my laptop, but how can I do that? In the eyes of Canadian insurance companies, Iโ€™m already on my tripโ€ฆ Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Laurie
LaurieMillotte.com

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

donโ€™t forget to backup (preferably online)
:smile: losing your data is worse than losing the laptop / phone / etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve found Iโ€™m covered, even overseas, by adding my laptop to my homeownersโ€™ insurance (Iโ€™m assuming rentersโ€™ insurance can add similar protections). Iโ€™ve dropped a latte on it, and it was covered, and travelled overseas (thankfully without issue) and it was covered. It comes out to around $80 per year.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@geonomad 9yr

Do you have any insurance in Canada on a car or apartment?

You might find that it already covers your laptop, or that it could be added for a small fee, regardless of whether you are in Canada right now or not. Check with your agent.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I did wonder about Home Contents Insurance (as we call it in the UK) but more often than not you couldnโ€™t get away with โ€œtheftโ€ whilst abroad because the terms stipulate it has to be a house robbery.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@geonomad 9yr

Yes, it all comes down to the details in the policy.

In Canada, we can specify certain valuable items on the policy and they get extra coverage, including theft or loss when not at home. Iโ€™m pretty sure we could add an item with proof of purchase without taking it โ€œhomeโ€. It costs a few dollars a month for each item, depending on value.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Laurie,

If you want to insure your laptop, maybe it is a possibility to look for an โ€œvaluables insuranceโ€, this is an external insurance that has nothing to do with your travel insurance ( so no problems with the fact that your already away). I have such an insurance and it costs me a few bucks a month to have insurance till a certain point (moneywise).

Hope that this is possible for you, because this is a dutch insurance.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@laurie 9yr

Thanks! Iโ€™ll definitely look into it!!!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@laurie 9yr

Hi @JamesSchipper and @manu,

thanks for the speedy answers! Itโ€™s just that my MacBook Pro is only 2 months old you seeโ€ฆ so itโ€™s still a bit of money for me! (I checked my credit card would cover me in case of burglary so thatโ€™s something already).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@manu 9yr

Thatโ€™s the worst case, I was NOT hoping for, as it clearly doesnโ€™t proof my point :frowning:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@manu 9yr

Donโ€™t overthink it, @Laurie. Some credit card travel insurances will include valuables up to a certain limit. But as long as you donโ€™t travel with golden jewelry all this tech is not that expensive any more. Just calculate your average depreciation for it (including occasional theft and destruction) and build up accruals accordingly.

After you have a number you will see that insurance is a bad deal for you. Else the company wouldnโ€™t do it. In addition to the real risk they also need to cover administration and profits (which you donโ€™t have to).

In general I would never insure anything that wonโ€™t bankrupt me head-on. itโ€™s always cheaper to skip insurance and occasionally pay yourself.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I donโ€™t know anything about Canadian insurance, but I simply donโ€™t. Itโ€™s a fairly minor expense if it needs to be replaced or repaired, however inconvenient.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to be sure of new tax residence?

by @analogmario 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi, Iโ€™m new here.
I am moving out forever.
So I am going to move to another country my residence.
But, in the new country I donโ€™t plan to spend more than 90 days a year for sure, at least itโ€™s not the plan for the first years.

But I want to be sure that my tax residence is in my new country, even if I spend less than 90 days a year.
I want to be sure I wonโ€™t be reclaimed by my original country or any other country that I might end up spending less than 180 days, but more than the less than 90 I expect to spend in my new country(looks like itโ€™s going to be Portugal).

Hope that was understandable.

Does anyone know where I can get information about this kind related to nomadism?

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I have a one way ticket and two laptops, is it suspicious?

by @amirrafiepour 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anybody traveled as a DN with a one way ticket and two laptops?

Iโ€™m going to Chile in a couple weeks and I only have a one way ticket and Iโ€™m going to Argentina after Chile. I donโ€™t know when so that is why I still have not bought my onward ticket to Argentina but I will go there before my Chilean visa expires. Iโ€™m also going to carry my work windows laptop and my personal mac with me.

Now my question is, is this enough reason for an immigration officer to get suspicious and not let me in Chile? What would you tell them if they try to give me a hard time about my one way ticket and two laptops?

Thanks for you help in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is carrying around my laptop in a backpack every day safe in South America?

by @skarabox 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hello everyone, I usually carry my laptop in my day backpack, walk around the town in my home country (Poland) and work in coffee shops / shopping centers, other quiet places I find or like.

My question is, how would carrying around my laptop on myself every day around the town work in practice in those places in terms of safety in South America.

I prefer to travel by a city communication than taxis and like to walk around too, but my concern is that I will get blatantly robbed with a gun or knife in a side street and lose my whole backpack with a laptop.

If anyone living in those cities could share their experience about how likely this situation is to occur, as obviously being white and foreign will make me stand out in the first place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International health insurance without having a permanent residence?

by @fabyliechti 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hey Nomads!

Iโ€™m a Swiss Citizen but full time traveler (living a few month there and there) and therefore donโ€™t have a permanent residence/home anywhere in the world.

For this reason, Iโ€™m as well not registered in Switzerland and therefore donโ€™t have medical care since I would have to pay at least 200$ monthly for medical care which I wonโ€™t use since Iโ€™m not living there.

As a in Switzerland unregistered Swiss Citizen I donโ€™t have medical care in Switzerland but, however based on Swiss Law Iโ€™m always allowed to return to Switzerland, register and then get medical coverage (f.e. in a medical emergency).

So now I was looking for both, an international health insurance with good coverage and an additional travel insurance for my trips. Unfortunately every insurance I check, I got asked for a permanent residence - which I donโ€™t have and donโ€™t want to. So I donโ€™t know what to fill out and if I still can get insurance without having a permanent residence.

I was wondering if there are any nomads here with a similar situation like me and (not registered anywhere and without a permanent residence)? If so, what health insurance, travel insurance you have and where?

PS. As well Iโ€™m not sure if it is kind of illegal not having a permanent residence anywhere plus where do I have to pay taxes?

Would be extremely grateful for any help on those matters - thanks so much!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which laptop charger case are you carrying?

by @srg_b 7yr 7 years ago  | 1 comment

Iโ€™m looking for a case in which I can put my laptop charger, mouse, power bank and proprietary cables, and then put that case into a backpack. Any ideas? Thx!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Health Insurance with a preexisting condition: how do you insure yourself?

by @dpt 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m wondering how Digital Nomads with pre-existing conditions insure themselves.

Iโ€™m German and most of the German DNs I know keep their primary residence in Germany and go with private health insurance (~150-250โ‚ฌ/month) + travel insurance (<50โ‚ฌ/month). Sadly thatโ€™s not possible for people with pre-existing conditions; those (at least in Germany) are required to voluntarily insure themselves with the governmental healthcare providers at 15.7% of pretax revenue (min. ~350/month, max. ~850โ‚ฌ/month).
Probably most other European states work in similar fashion?

The last few years I have gotten along by tricking a little (staying registered as a student), but Iโ€™m soon hitting the age limit where thatโ€™s not possible anymore and am now looking at either incorporating and paying myself a fixed salary or getting a residency in another European country with a (for self-employed people) more accessible public health system (my main focus is on Portugalโ€™s NHR regime).

Does anyone else here have/had a similar problem? I wonder how others have solved this issue.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you travel with a laptop stand?

by @danielgenser 8yr 8 years ago  | 38 comments

Now that Iโ€™ve been working for a few days without my Cinema Display (just sold it!), Iโ€™m definitely considering getting a travel stand for my 13" Macbook Pro. Do any of you travel with one? Any recommendations?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What laptop/tablet do you prefer for remote working?

by @roberthopman 8yr 8 years ago  | 29 comments

Hi,

as Iโ€™m looking into buying a new laptop/tablet, Iโ€™m wondering what everybody is using here for work and why?

Mentioning your profession or business, location, travel activities or anything related to this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to insure my belongings when traveling in SE Asia & South America?

by @adrienbetweets 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

I want an insurance that covers my belongings only.
I already have a international travel health insurance, hence I do not need some link or recommendation to do-it-all packages (i.e. insurance for health + rescue + belongings).

I came across this threads:

But they did not help me because:

• I do not live in the UK, nor am I a UK citizen
  • My credit card does NOT cover my belongings, nor does any of the insurances I already have

Ideally, Iโ€™d like to find an insurance that can insure my belongings regardless of my nationality & residence. Any link to information of quality is welcome.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to insure as an Australian nomad?

in Australia by @yeoa 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

Hey everyone! Thereโ€™s often loads of blogs and threads about nomads from Americans and Europeans but I havenโ€™t come across any for nomads from Asia-Pacific.

I personally hold an Australian passport and Hong Kong PR and completely new to being a nomad. Any suggestions at all or resources that others may have come across on this particular topic?

Personally, Iโ€™m looking at broad medical/health insurance, travel insurance and as a bonus, insurance which may also cover scuba diving :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

When are you using your laptop on battery?

by @jeanbog 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hello :smile:

I am going to buy a new laptop, a lightweight one. And I am considering removing the battery as a option to remove extra weight (~350g / ~0,77lbs, I guess).
Because I used to work on my laptop at library, I am not able to image situations where there is no plug.

So, when are you using your laptop on battery ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can you insure a laptop if you're already traveling?

by @danielmcclure 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will specifically insure a laptop for a few months or more for a UK citizen whilst already abroad for over a year and without a return date?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Portable external laptop battery for MacBook Pro?

by @pezmc 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi all,

Iโ€™ve been doing some research on external batteries for the MacBook having seen a HyperJuice in someoneโ€™s desk shot. There was also a thread on this about a year ago: Whatโ€™s the best portable battery charger for a MacBook?

My findings so far are that itโ€™s very important which laptop you have. A MacBook โ€˜Newโ€™ (USB-C) seems to have the most options, followed by a MacBook Air which has a low power requirement, the MacBook Pro 13" which has a medium power requirement and the MacBook Pro 15" which has a very high power requirement and very limited options.

Iโ€™ve found the below, have any of you used/tried them? Do you know of any alternatives? Personally Iโ€™m looking for something that works well with the MacBook Pro 15" but share anything as others may find it useful!

• HyperJuice - comes in sizes 60/100/150/222WH - requires a modification to your MacBook charger as they canโ€™t use the patented MagSafe2 adapter.
  • BatteryBox - 60 Wh - uses a custom compatible charger that works with the Air/Pro/MacBook
  • ChugPlug - 65 Wh - MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13" only, small battery capacity
  • Xiaomi power bank - ~80 Wh - MacBook USB-C only
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it safe to work with your laptop from coffee shops in South/Central Amerca?

by @dhamm 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Iโ€™m considering traveling to Panama, Colombia, Ecuador or Peru in the coming month and it is important for me to be able to work from a coffee shop at an outside table. Is it normal for DNs to be working with their laptops at coffeeshops in these countries, or am I just marking myself to be mugged on the way home?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you dispose of a laptop?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 4 comments

I was sure there was already a topic on this but I canโ€™t find it.

If you have to replace your laptop while travelling, how do you go about it?

Iโ€™m assuming itโ€™s best to blitz everything before throwing it out. Also, do you just bin it or is there some process (I guess that would depend on location).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If my laptop is stolen, what are some quick replacement options?

by @normaldude 8yr 8 years ago  | 10 comments

Hypothetical Scenario: Letโ€™s say Iโ€™m traveling, and Iโ€™m using a Windows 10 laptop to get some work done. Itโ€™s 12 midnight, and my laptop(s) and luggage are suddenly lost. Maybe I went to a restaurant/bar/club, and thieves ransacked my hotel room while I was away. Whatever the case, I still have my wallet & smartphone, and thatโ€™s about it.

At this point, I need a replacement Windows 10 laptop, that I can install programs on, and I need it ASAP, so I can meet a deadline. What are my options?

Is there some 24 hour laptop-replacement-on-demand service out there?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anyone know of a laptop backpack that meets British Airways' new carry-on requirements?

by @ani_goes_tweet 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

BA has recently reduced the permissible dimensions for a carry-on personal item to 40 x 30 x 15 cms (i.e. 16 x 12 x 6 ins). Iโ€™ve been travelling by train since June, but Iโ€™m about to fly again and see that my wonderful laptop backpack is now oversized. Can anyone recommend a laptop backpack that fits within the new dimensions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place to buy a laptop in Asia?

by @kathrynoh 8yr 8 years ago  | 9 comments

My laptop is having issues and Iโ€™d rather replace it before it gets too bad. Iโ€™m currently in Chiang Mai, going to Phnom Phen next week then to KL and Seoul.

My impression is that Seoul would be the best place for buying a replacement but Iโ€™m not sure what Iโ€™m basing that one.

Where in Asia am I likely to get the best bang for my buck?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can I use my laptop to call into conference calls remotely?

by @dave4peace 9yr 9 years ago  | 11 comments

Hi Nomads,
First, I am very appreciative of this Forum, have read a lot of very helpful feedback to questions to previous folks questions.

Currently, landing in Hong Kong in about 2 months with no true Nomad experience other than working remotely, as a US Citizen, from home to a US Bank here in the States. My normal workday is remaining constantly in meetings using a Conference software called โ€œLyncโ€ on my work machine. Usually, i can have Lync call my cell phone with no problem in the US, of course.

Question:
Can I do the same Lync Conference, as above, while working abroad, substituting my cell phone with a personal laptop with microphone wherever I work? (presuming: 1) good internet, 2) Skype/GoogleVoice, installed on personal laptop). Basically, my work laptop would be calling Skype on my personal laptop, right? Can this work, cheaply, for 40+ hours of calls per week? Does Skype have country limitations? How does this work in combination with Google Voice, any cheaper? I read GV only works only for certain countries (HK, China, Thailand are okay). Any folks here know what a 40 hour week costs, on average, having this type of setup (Skype and/or GV, or other combo)? All new to meโ€ฆ will just have to try it, and, let you know, if no one has done it here.

Thanks for any suggestions with this!!!
Dave

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Developers! Thoughts on the new Pixel C laptop/tablet for travel?

by @dave_chakrabarti 9yr 9 years ago  | 9 comments

Itโ€™s that time of year again, where I see cool swanky new tablet / laptop hybrid things and start wondering if I could actually replace a Macbook Air for shorter / longer travel.

Anyone have any thoughts on Googleโ€™s new Pixel C? Anyone have experience writing code (or for that matter, writing long-form text, like a novel) with either Android or IOS as your main operating system? Would you leave the Macbook at home for a one week trip? A one month trip? Long-term?

1. I know the softwareโ€™s not quite there yet. I anticipate major issues being the lack of web dev tools for mobile OSes (I write a ton of front-end code!), and flaky alternatives to Sublime. Iโ€™m interested in figuring out if itโ€™s โ€œgood enoughโ€. For example, howโ€™s Cloud9 on Android? Any workarounds I should know about?

2. Anyone living tethered to Tmux / Vim on a Linode (or other VPS) full-time? Iโ€™m not drinking the Vim Koolaid (or well-aged single malt) yet, but might consider it if thereโ€™s a tangible reason for it.

3. Is the hardware trade-off likely to hurt a lot? $500 - $600 buys quite a lot of laptop, running Intel 4th gen processors + the never-ending clunkiness of trying to make Ubuntu work on Windows hardware. Where should I expect to feel the pain on a Pixel C?

4. Anyone figuring out a semi-reliable way to multi-task with multiple windows in Android? For example, how painful would it be to run two terminal sessions, a Cloud9 window, and a Rails tutorial window at the same time, switching between them constantly?

5. Is there a compelling reason to consider an Ipad Air 2 over the Pixel C? Theyโ€™re in the same ballpark, and though Iโ€™ve stuck with Android as a phone OS, Iโ€™m very used to working within the Apple ecosystem for work stuff (downloading El Capitan as I type this).

Note: Iโ€™m fairly anti-Windows these days, especially as a dev environment (havenโ€™t used it since XP), so an older Surface isnโ€™t likely to be a good alternative unless the Ubuntu support is rock solid :smile:

Thanks! All feedback appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
499ms