Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (635K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,992) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you deal with fear of terrorism when traveling?

by @antonioevans 8yr  | 11 comments

I do not want to be an โ€œalarmistโ€ but today we had a recent major bombing at an airport & subway in Brussels. A few months back there was Paris. I am currently on my European part of this years trip and it is on my mind.

There are many places that are off the map for Digital Nomads and for good reason. Safety due to war or major crime. I am talking places like Syria, parts of Iraq, few islands in Philippines, a few province in Mexico, El Salvador, etc. But places that arenยดt historically unsafe do causes concern to people, specifically your back home family&friends.

As a traveler how do you deal with terrorism or major crime when it is around where you are visit? Also secondly how do you deal with at home messages from family members.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

That was my question in the body. The title does say fear but I think you are slightly reading it wrong or it comes off as being specifically that way. Anywayโ€ฆ Your stats have lots of issues.

1. assumption that statistically we as Digital Nomads are not outliers. We are. I get on 20 planes, 20-30 trains and stay in exotic places annually. Average person who is part of your stat lives in 1 place. Does way less travel then that.

2. Terrorism should be really changed to crime. Sorry for that Yes a bombing can be politically motivated but many smaller acts of crime do not get put into that statistic I assume. Are the organized Mafia muggings Naples added to that? What about kidnapping in parts of Mexico? What about shake downs when driving in parts of Guatemala. All similar.

Looking at statistics definitely do help you gauge reality but if they are looked incorrectly it can also skew realty.

Anyway to answer my own question, I do like @kathrynoh I put out on FB I am livingโ€ฆlol.

During the earthquake in Japan I wasโ€ฆin Japan. Got calls and emails. I just decided not to take them all and Just put out Gif on FB saying I am living and fine.

Back in the day I was also in Sept 11th downtown on business. Facebook wasnโ€™t around. Ended up walking uptown and using a Payphone (can you believe that) and calling my mother. She was the hub of social media at the time. :slight_smile:

Recently a friend was shot during Bataclan. Major concert goer and DN his wife called me and I told her to just do a FB post. She did and got hundreds of messages.

Anyway. Yeah use Social Media. 100%

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Definitely higher risk with more travelling but Iโ€™m not sure if the actual destination (unless you are in a high risk area) puts you at more danger. The thing about terrorism is that it can happen anywhere. The surprise factor is key.

I wouldnโ€™t class all crime as being on the same level as terrorism. Muggings, bag snatching etc is pretty minor in the overall scheme of things.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@srg_b 8yr

I avoid places that are low security, and crowded with westerns, like Starbucks ie. Recently I decided not to visit a water park due to warnings by Australian government. Although later I realized how is anyone going to bring in a bomb since everyoneโ€™s in their bathing suits.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

This writeup has some interesting statistics:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@them 8yr

I had to change plans 3 times in the last couple of months after Paris, first lockdown in Brussels and now the Brussels attacks. I still traveled to those places, but had to adapt to the situation.

I definitely do due diligence when traveling, but not only related to terrorism, since I go a lot to remote places. If you donโ€™t, its your choice but should not be promoted, especially not as some kind of attitude or life-style. Comparisons like the chance of being killed in a terrorist attack vs. the chance of being crushed by furniture are unproductive - There is always something that is less or more life threatening and there are tons of comparisons like x more people die of y every year then from z.

I am not saying one should worry - if you start worrying you ll probably never stop again - but you should somehow include the risks, including terrorism, in your travel plans. You donโ€™t travel to the middle east without checking the reports, you donโ€™t go on a trip in the Sahel without evaluating the situation, you donโ€™t go to the southeast of turkey without a plan etc. etc. and some parts of Europe are part of the areas one should at least quickly monitor before going. There are valid and official warnings regarding the security, including possible natural disaster, from governments, foreign ministries etc. that can be easily checked and these should be followed - not because we are afraid or because it will keep us all safe, but simply because it reduces the risks.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

Well no, comparisons like that are productive:

you were FOUR times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist
http://bkpk.me/why-terrorism-should-not-stop-you-from-traveling/ (via @flyonthewall)

OP is asking how to deal with the fear, well the fear is highly irrational. Is OP scared of lightning all the time? No. So why terrorism? It doesnโ€™t make sense.

A good example. Iโ€™m from Amsterdam. The central station is probably a big target for terrorism now. Itโ€™s the most iconic place of the city with locals and travelers alike.

To be there at the same place if thereโ€™s a terror attack means I have to pick the right day and time. Since Iโ€™m only passing through there for about 5 mins in, then entering the train, or 5 mins out. It means I have a 5 of 1440 minutes per day chance in the day that terror strikes or 1 in 288. Now letโ€™s say nothing happens for a year and then one day a terror attack strikes. That means 1 in 288 * 365 days or 1 in 105,120. That is, if weโ€™re confident it will happen in the next 365 days which is also unlikely.

The risk of me dying in a car (even with a seatbelt) in a year is 1 in 17,625 (http://www.riskcomm.com/visualaids/riskscale/datasources.php).

Iโ€™m still 6x more likely to die in a car accident than a terrorist attack at the central station of my city which is a terrorist target ONLY if weโ€™re sure itโ€™s going to be hit this year.

Furthermore, outside of that โ€œthe chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 millionโ€ http://www.lifeinsurancequotes.org/additional-resources/deadly-statistics/

Why is it important to mention the statistics? Because itโ€™s rational. And it doesnโ€™t give us an emotionally skewed perspective on a highly unlikely scenario. Which in turns influences politics, war and the increase of a commercial security industry. The question is, do you want to highly armed guards everywhere? Do you want to live in a society like that? I donโ€™t.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I donโ€™t. The odds are higher that Iโ€™ll be killed in a traffic accident or shot by a mass shooter when Iโ€™m back in the USA than that Iโ€™ll get killed by a terrorist while traveling. Stuff happens all the time that you canโ€™t control. Worrying about it or fearing it is just a waste of energy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

After the Brussels attack, I thought about it, for about 30 seconds. Even though I was about to leave Iceland for London, I didnโ€™t let it bother me. I was even in London during the 2005 bombings, and they were about 1 mile away from me at the time of going off. @levelsio and @kathrynoh had great points, there is danger everywhere and itโ€™s not just terrorism. Iโ€™m from Chicago, and I was jumped there 3 times in 2 years. The worst Iโ€™ve ever had in Europe is leaving my wallet on a London bus, drunkenly dropping my iPhone 6+ in a toilet in Reykjavik, missing trains/flights, etc. You canโ€™t predict terrorism, earthquakes, orโ€ฆer, furniture crushing :wink: I am a digital nomad and Iโ€™m DEATHLY afraid of flying, you just have to accept when itโ€™s your time, itโ€™s you time. Move on, and enjoy every day like itโ€™s your last. Thatโ€™s why we leave this lifestyle right?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What happened in Brussels was horrible but how would someone have predicted what happened ahead of time to inform them not to go there?

These events are random and difficult to research into to make good travel decisions.

If youโ€™re optimizing your travels to be as safe as possible then visit countries that have a good reputation for being safe to visit. But even then things can go wrong, I mean back home Iโ€™ve been held up at knife point and that was in Sydneyโ€™s Northern Beaches which is super safe and never ran into any issues travelling like ever.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

Youโ€™re more likely to be fatally crushed by furniture than killed by a terrorist

You could just as well ask how to avoid furniture when traveling.

And the other answer is, donโ€™t visit war zones. Seems very obvious :slightly_smiling:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

Itโ€™s not something I really think about. Your safety isnโ€™t guaranteed anywhere in this world and you could be targeted anywhere including at home. There are a lot more risky things in this world.

I was living in Tokyo during the Tohoku earthquake and, I think the main thing is to get on social media and let family and friends know you are safe and settle immediate concerns. Outside of that, you canโ€™t manage other peopleโ€™s fears.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get SMS verifications for banks while traveling?

by @jackgopack 4yr 4 years ago  | 38 comments

Any suggestions for seamlessly receiving SMS Verifications from US financial institutions and other sites while traveling internationally continuously? Wonโ€™t keep my US Verizon account due to cost and currently plan to use local sims at each destination (T-Mobile and Project Fi are NOT an option as they terminate for continuous roaming). In summation, I wonโ€™t have a US mobile account.

Unless Iโ€™m missing something, which is very possible, this appears to be the single most complex issue Iโ€™ve encountered in my preparations, and one that no one addresses. I would greatly appreciate any possible solution that works 100% of the time. Canโ€™t afford surprises in this regard. Many Thanks! Jack.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is your ergonomic set-up while traveling?

by @caseyr 5yr 5 years ago  | 18 comments

What is your ergonomic set-up while traveling?

I personally have an external keyboard, and am currently exploring getting a laptop stand, some lumbar support, and a trackball-mouse.

What do you use? How are you balancing health / portability?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What do you do about cooking whilst traveling?

by @kathrynoh 7yr 7 years ago  | 26 comments

This is something Iโ€™ve not really seen addressed anywhere much but, when you are staying somewhere medium term, say 1-6 months, what you do about cooking? I figure anything shorter than that and you can make do, while over 6 months you arenโ€™t going to mind stocking a kitchen so much. But, for that medium term period, it feels like a waste to spend too much on pantry supplies and equipment but too long to get by on basics.

Anyway, Iโ€™d love to know what other people in regards to cooking. Do you eat out for all your meals, have a few โ€˜go toโ€™ dishes that you can cook anywhere with minimal equipment (mine would be omelettes) or do you adjust to the local cuisine?

Admin edit: Fixed title for spelling & compliance with guidelines.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Have you ever been called to U.S. jury duty while traveling?

by @krompson 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

My husband and I have residency in the state of Tennessee in the USA and my in-laws collect our mail for us there. We only pass through Tennessee about once a year.

Does anyone know what happens if weโ€™re called to jury duty? Is traveling a legit excuse to get out of it?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How are you earning a living while traveling?

by @mattlock 8yr 8 years ago  | 22 comments

Iโ€™ve been traveling for over a year, and Iโ€™ve been working on 3 month contracts in locations abroad to sustain travel. I wanted to see what the community was like as far as digital nomads go. Are you trading your skills for $$$? and if so, how are you doing it?

(Iโ€™ve also wanted to try this, but havenโ€™t been to successful.)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How can I have one telephone number while traveling?

by @swechris 8yr 8 years ago  | 11 comments

Hi!
I found this perfect solution https://www.didlogic.com/ that will forward phone calls to whatever SIM card you currently are using and really cheap too. Butโ€ฆ Really horrible reviews http://www.oregonherald.com/bnews/story.htm?id=1113.

What do you guys say?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best time to take birth control pills while traveling?

by @robetus 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

Iโ€™m traveling with my girlfriend and she takes birth control pills, one pill every day. Can any of the digital nomadic women on here give her any tips on what time to take it to best suite global travel inside many timezones?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Can you insure a laptop if you're already traveling?

by @danielmcclure 8yr 8 years ago  | 1 comment

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will specifically insure a laptop for a few months or more for a UK citizen whilst already abroad for over a year and without a return date?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Did you acquire gadgets before leaving or while traveling?

by @nihilista 9yr 9 years ago  | 20 comments

Iโ€™m debating whether to buy some things prior to leaving - a nice suitcase and/or backpack, noise cancelling headphones, a Kindle (Iโ€™m an avid reader and would love to take several books with me - but love books and have never found the need to have a Kindle since I have lots of space at home for adding to my library), etc. My feeling is that these things would likely enhance my travels but are not strictly necessary, and if the nomad life turns out to not be to my liking then I mightโ€™ve wasted some money. Are these items easily acquirable on the road? Iโ€™ll be in southeast Asia to begin withโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you prove residence to your bank when traveling?

by @perpetual 9yr 9 years ago  | 4 comments

Hello fellow nomads! How do you guys go about proving residence in a country if youโ€™re always moving? European banks will continue to send yearly statements of holdings and earnings to your old tax jurisdiction (even if youโ€™ve legally left) until you prove (address/utility bill) residence in another country. Any experience with satisfying the banks in order to keep some financial privacy while being a nomad?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
468ms