Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (625K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,924) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you have trouble deciding where to establish a home base?

by @jasonmwomack 8yr  | 16 comments

With so many places to choose from, I sometimes overthink where I should establish a presence(home base) . This thought pattern sometimes eliminates the spontaneous choices that are right in front of me :slight_smile: I am wondering if any other DNs deal with this as well. If you have any suggestions or resources that could be helpful, please do not hesitate to share!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@greentea 7yr

To answer your question about medication, you can sign up for several telemedicine services nowadays, and order many prescriptions online.

If youโ€™re a US citizen, the following may be applicable to you. (I cannot speak to international citizens at this time, sorry)

I successfully use MDLive and OneMedical. Both are subscription services and both provide prescribing doctors. MDLive brands themselves as a digital urgent care and can diagnose several issues over the phone.

OneMedical is more for replacing the traditional doctorโ€™s office. Iโ€™m quite partial to their Arizona office, as they have a functional medicine doctor onstaff who is trained in Walsh Protocol, an epigenetics based protocol treating the whole human. I use this for strategising and advancing my health, as heโ€™ll understand why Iโ€™m ordering advanced blood tests like kryptopyroleโ€ฆ heheheโ€ฆ

I also have another doctor out of the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles named Doctor Karbasi/Avicenna Clinic (818-805-2232) who does telemedicine consultations and acts as your primary care physician. If you happen to visit Los Angeles, heโ€™ll also do any sort of physical exam or cosmetic procedure.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sonja 7yr

This is definitely a tough question for many nomads. I tend to store all my stuff either in storage or in a friendโ€™s garage in my home city of Melbourne (Australia) when I leave. Then when I come back, I usually rent a new place and set myself up again, but then itโ€™s a pain to have to pack it all up again so soon.

I am thinking I might eventually save up and buy a tiny home (they are only about AUD$80K for a basic one, totally solar powered) and find somewhere to put it near Melbourne (will work out that small detail later :stuck_out_tongue: ). And then just keep all my stuff in that and live there when Iโ€™m home.

Because everybody I know and love are in Melbourne, it just makes sense to keep it as my โ€˜home baseโ€™. Once youโ€™re happy and at peace with the place you call home, I definitely think you can then start to establish โ€˜second homesโ€™ which might be in the other parts of the world you love. Maybe once you have some close friends in those places you can start to do the same thing (leave some belongings with friends or store stuff) but just on a smaller scale.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karel 8yr

I grew up in France, spent 7 years in Canada and been on the road for about 2 years. I call Montreal home even though Iโ€™m not there often. I got badly sick in Mexico in August and it came down to โ€œwhere do I want to go back to and rest?โ€. For me it wasnโ€™t in France (even though my family leaves there), it was in Montreal.

One of the reasons I started traveling was to find my new Montreal, a potential new home base. But so far I have not found any place that took Montrealโ€™s place in my heart. I maintain my permanent residency in Canada, pay my taxes, have health insurance that I top with a travel insurance. I think it is an important consideration when picking a home base. This setup really worked out well in Mexico, I didnโ€™t have to pay a cent and my medical bill was close to 30k.

I have a similar setup than @Ani. I rent a storage unit and a temporary apartment when Iโ€™m in town. When I travel, I donโ€™t need much but I enjoy the comfort of a home. I like to cook for instance and it involves a back and forth to the storage unit every time I come and go to get some kitchen gear. So Iโ€™m currently considering going back to owning a place that I would sublet when I leave but can effortlessly come back to when I feel like it.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadicme 8yr

This is what I have been doing too for the past 9 years. But I am growing tired of pulling stuff out and then back into storage each time I return to the States. It would be nice to have a small place to call โ€œhomeโ€ where my stuff is set up however the places where I have friends are super expensive (as they are in the largest US cities). Recently Iโ€™ve been considering getting a cheap small place in a new inexpensive city. There are parts of this idea I like (such as having my stuff all unpacked when I return). But I wonโ€™t know anyone in this new city and wonโ€™t really be there long enough to establish many friends. I never thought of it that way. Perhaps my home base should be someplace my friends are - although for me this is sort of a non-starter due to price. Which leaves me living out of storage which is what Iโ€™ve been doing.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karel 8yr

I think that what makes a home base is where you feel like you would want to go back to if shit happens. I guess Iโ€™m lucky that for me Montreal is both where I have good friends, a very high quality of life (food is awesome here) and a very affordable housing market.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

On the medical topic, requiring a prescription shouldnโ€™t need a homebase. I agree with other posters. In most cases, meds are much more widely available without an Rx than they are in the US and some developed/western countries. As @wanderingdev said, it will probably also cost $2 instead of $80-100, especially if youโ€™re in Latin America or Asia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jacobjay 8yr

As an atypical DN effectively going from base to base (that is, if I like somewhere I make it a โ€˜baseโ€™ for sometime) yet who grew up without a base, the concept is something close to my soul. @whereskristin sums it up well. If you think you need a base, be analytical, else if you feel emotionally attached to somewhere (other than merely โ€˜missing itโ€™), then listen to your gut.

My main criteria is the slightly at odds combination of being somewhere I can retreat to when the chaos is too much, and also somewhere I can host the friends I meet around the world (in practice this has yet to really happen for probably obvious reasons :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Oh but also โ€˜mediterraneanโ€™ climate! Recently Iโ€™ve come to realise that relationships (professional or otherwise) need a degree of stability, which seems the foremost element of having a base.

So originally I was looking for somewhere remote, desolate, beautiful, errm, cheap! I donโ€™t however drive (legally) which makes this quite implausible, as wherever your base is, you need to be able to reach it easily. My current little town has a Ryainair airport, a train station and motorways to neighbouring cities, not to mention tourism. Almost perfect except for the professional element. So Iโ€™m shifting to a town nearer a city, lacking the tourism and airport. Time will see how it works out.

I will say that if youโ€™ve got savings enough (because nomads will never get mortgages right?), the unending migration of people to the largest metros means there are astounding deals to be had purchasing property in towns, (observations of Europe). To me ownership and utility are the definitions of a base. This could be shared though. Somewhere just to keep stuff is not a base. If people recognise you, and you enjoy recognising familiar things, thatโ€™s a potential base for sure.

Iโ€™m on my way towards having a second, larger base, and Iโ€™m hoping to make it something that otherโ€™s can participate in too. I really like the idea of a place which nomads can drift in and out of, but feel familiar despite the nomadism.

On the medical point, Iโ€™m diabetic, but everywhere Iโ€™ve been it hasnโ€™t been a problem, in India one can walk into any chemist and buy insulin (individually out of the box!), whilst in well-regulated France yes many chemists refuse to serve without a prescription, but keep at it and others will be happy to serve you regardless (particularly if you play the stupid foreigner), albeit for the full box.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I definitely think that having a home base is an asset, if you can afford it or if you have a network of family/friends that can provide a โ€œbaseโ€. I was born in Florida and have always considered that my home base, even if I am only there once in a while such as once a year for a short time. I also have a home base in Costa Rica, at an apartment that I sublet out when Iโ€™m not there. I personally find that having zero home base can feel ungrounding, especially after many years, while at the same time I recognize that maintaining a home while being a nomad can be expensive under certain circumstances. I have some relocation clients who own multiple homes and rent them out long term, while they can always choose to go back at some point in the future if they so desire. Their home bases are usually in their home country. On the other hand, it may be 5, 10, 20 years living nomadically before you decide you want a home base again.

As far as choosing an international base or simply deciding where to go/travel/move to, thatโ€™s a highly personal decision. In society today and for most of the history of humanity, it hasnโ€™t been a very mainstream concept to sit down and design your ideal life, but this is your chance to do that. Beyond budget and visa restrictions, try to envision what your perfect day would be like:

• What kind of climate are you living in?
  • What kind of food are you eating?
  • Who and what is around you?
  • What type of community/support/coworking access do you want?
  • What types of sports or outdoor activities are available?
  • What type of cultural activities are available?
  • Which language is spoken?
  • How remote are you? Are you in a city, town, village, at the beach or some combination?
  • How long can you stay there and how easy is it for you to come and go? In Panama and Mexico, for example, citizens of many countries can stay for up to 6 months without having to worry about renewing a tourist visa.

These are just a few quick questions of a long list you can ask yourself to help narrow down the list of countries and cities in the world. Finally, remember that you can always change your mind. After a few years of living on an island, you may start craving the city life and vice versa. There are pros and cons to each place at each life phase you are experiencing at any given time.

I just came across this HSBC expat article and it sums it up quite well:
Experiences take the places of the โ€˜stuffโ€™ that so often defines a home. For Jameela Deen, home for the modern global nomad is found in just a few suitcases. But as she will gladly tell you herself, that isnโ€™t necessarily such a bad thing.
https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-expat/featured/enewsletter/Expats-on-the-move?WT.mc_id=HBIB_2015_01_CONT_EF_SOC

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I guess having a โ€œbaseโ€ means different things to different people. There is a question of storing stuff. Currently I use my parents in Ireland where I keep a small collection of warm clothing which are too heavy to travel with and artistโ€™s materials (a pain in the butt to travel with) but I personally like having a base, to enjoy the feeling of travelling off somewhere but also I enjoy the feeling of coming back to somewhere familiar although I donโ€™t actually have a home. Iโ€™ve bases in Turkey and Spain, places that do feel like a home because I know Iโ€™ll find familiar and friendly faces there which at times can be important and Iโ€™ve spent time purposely doing this whilst still having the flexibility to take off for weeks at a time if I want. Also Iโ€™ve researched access to healthcare in both these places.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Medication in most countries is pretty cheap, at least compared to the USA. My pain prescription requires a doc visit and costs $80 in the USA. Yesterday in turkey I just walked into the pharmacy and asked for it. Cost me $2.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

That is pretty clever. I will defiantly take that approach into serious consideration. I like it :slight_smile: Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most nomads I know donโ€™t have a home base. They move every few months. Why do you feel you need one?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I have to take medication on a daily basis, which requires prescription refills with a doctor/pharmacy.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve maintained my GP etc back in the UK, and I have a tiny storage unit there. I go back twice a year. I wouldnโ€™t call it my home base, as have no home there (which is how I understand home base), but itโ€™s definitely a place I need to get back to from time to time. And there was no choice involved, as thatโ€™s where Iโ€™m established.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Well, pharmacies and doctors exist everywhere so if you take your prescription with you getting it refilled shouldnโ€™t be an issue. In many countries you wonโ€™t even need them. You just tell them what you want and they give it to you. So still not sure why that would require a home baseโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 8yr

That would depend on your home countryโ€™s health policies. If I return to Australia, I can get prescription medication at a subsidised price. I wouldnโ€™t return just to get my scripts filled, the airfare would be more than the savings Iโ€™d make but, if I returned home, Iโ€™d make sure I got the maximum amount I could.

I guess thatโ€™s going home as opposed to having a home base though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is Singapore a good nomad and business base?

in Singapore by @msurocks99 7yr 7 years ago  | 11 comments

I am thinking to change my base to Singapore .

I have some queries regarding it,

Hacks of Price of Living : I donโ€™t want to live in hostels where 4/8 persons live in a room, want to live in a room may be in a shared apartment, gym and other facilities would be nice, I am getting in 800 to 1000 SGDโ€™s pretty good Condo rooms, can I turn it down to 500-600 ?

Food : I stayed there for a month recently, so pretty much know the food hacks now, if I am eating at home its cheap and hawkers places are also cheaper.

Howโ€™s it for business Base ?

I run a Software Development Company mostly into building MVPโ€™s for Startups and running extension teams for SMEโ€™s. So I think it will be pretty good for me based in Singapore for finding new opportunities and Client Communications.

What do you think about it and any suggestions would be great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Deciding when to move? Where to move?

by @haroldtreen 8yr 8 years ago  | 12 comments

Hello Nomads!

Iโ€™ve been travelling for ~5 months in South America. When I left home my plan was to see every country (1 month per country) and then head to Europe.

Iโ€™ve since started contracting and the rapid travel pace is really draining me. I want to stay in one place for a while, meet more like minded people and surround myself with people also building awesome stuff.

South America doesnโ€™t seem to have a very active nomad/tech community though. Iโ€™m also just not connecting with people the way Iโ€™m used to. Itโ€™s left me wondering if Iโ€™d be better off heading elsewhere right away. At the same time I feel stupid flying elsewhere when thereโ€™s still so much to see in South America. I also think a lot of other places I have in mind would raise my cost of livingโ€ฆ so basically moving would burn my money faster.

So to turn that into a question:

How do you decide when to move?
What are the things you look at when you consider a new place?
Nomad List ranks places based on factors like Weather and Costโ€ฆbut what about people?
What cities are good for meeting tech nomads?
What cities have great, fun, welcoming people that are easy to interact with?
Any factors to consider in cities that NomadsList overlooks?
Where should I go?

Thanks!

Harold

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is Kuala Lumpur as a digital nomad base?

in Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia by @agirlwhotravels 8yr 8 years ago  | 29 comments

Hi everyone! Iโ€™m considering moving to Kuala Lumpur for about a year or so (mainly because itโ€™s a great getaway to SE Asia islands). I was wondering whatโ€™s it like as a travel base? It would be great to hear the opinions of those of you who lived there! Thanks so much in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Does anybody have a home base?

by @ld 9yr 9 years ago  | 19 comments

My boyfriend and I, from California, are starting our travels first around the USA. Weโ€™ve only stayed in a few locations, California and Colorado with Airbnb, and basically an entire semi-decent place to ourselves is $2k a month. And with payment securing our next monthโ€™s place - rent comes to $4k a month. Obviously not sustainable, and not to mention a place missing most functional items to live comfortably is not ideal.

Unfortunately, this has turned my boyfriend off to traveling in general. He proposed we get a โ€œhome baseโ€, live cheap and travel out from there.

Do any of you do something similar? Have a home that you stay in for a certain amount of time, and do trips out from there? My worry is that normal life will settle in and no traveling will happen. But we are thinking if we can be on the winning side of Airbnb (the renters) then we can rent our place while we travel, and come back as needed.

I appreciate your thoughts and input!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which is the best US state for establishing residency for mostly passive income?

by @nihilista 9yr 9 years ago  | 2 comments

I figure it might be a good idea to change my state residency before I leave in order to lower taxes, if this is even possible and legal. Perhaps Nevada that doesnโ€™t charge income tax? (Iโ€™m currently in CA.) If I return to the US I am pretty sure Iโ€™d want to live in AZ, however, so Iโ€™d have to change residencies again.

Most of my income is passive from rental properties and investments. My accountant knew very little about this. Any good source of info out there? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
401ms