Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,006) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do you care about using a shared IP on VPN?

by @refuseillusion 9yr  | 11 comments

When using a VPN you will almost always share your IP with others (several members connect to the VPN server and all members on that server now share the serverโ€™s IP address).
If someone using the same IP address gets flagged, it could pass on to you as well.
A lot of companies have incorporated IP address filters. For example your PayPal account could get limited because you share an IP address with a scammer.

Has using a shared IP resulted in problems for you?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@senseless 8yr

I was the owner of HideMyNet (now IronSocket).

I started and regularly used the service for the needs expressed in your original post. The worst problem I ever experienced was google asking for captcha codes because so many people would be using the same IP address on google.

If youโ€™re looking for your own dedicated address I would second others above in saying, just get a cheap VPS to setup your own VPN on. I use linode for my own private nodes, but digitalocean would be fine as well. Itโ€™s relatively (if you have CLI experience) easy to get PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN and SoftEther all running on the same node for multiple connectivity options.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@nomadtax 8yr

I wouldnโ€™t recommend using a VPN service, especially not for PayPal! Build your own instead, it takes 15 minutes and you wonโ€™t have to worry about sharing IPs. Plus, youโ€™ll save money.

Get a Digital Ocean or Amazon EC2 account and deploy a basic Ubuntu machine. Then simply run this code in a SSH terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
wget https://www.freedomsurfer.com/cloud/vpn.sh -O
bash vpn.sh

Then use an FTP client like Filezilla to get the OpenVPN certificate from the home folder of your server. Use the OpenVPN client to connect. If you need to connect more machines, run the โ€œbash vpn.shโ€ line again.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@bobz_zg 8yr

I would agree with @nomadtax maybe it would be a good idea to avoid using VPN for Paypal.
In the past 5 months I was traveling around Asia (Iโ€™m from Europe) and was regularly getting payed trough Paypal. I was logged in for sure in every country I and had no problems.

Few weeks ago I came back to my home Country and I was testing some VPN (ivacy).
Iโ€™v logged in to my account and have withdrawn some funds to my credit card.
But instead that my money is withdrawn like usually, I got notification that for security reasons my transaction needs to be checked and it will delay withdrawal for up to 2 business days.
If they confirm itโ€™s ok, I get my money, if not they will return it back to my Paypal account and charge me some fee (probably something like ~ 5$ US).

Then after few hours I got long distance call from Paypal office, they were questioning me about my transaction. Usually if I talk to them, then they call from Ireland, but this call was from some bunker, it was a very bad reception and it was for sure very distant.

They said they are calling me because there is some suspicious activity in my account.
I already knew it should be because I login with different IP address ranges in short period of time.
I had to explain them what I do, and what is this money for.
Since I use Paypal invoicing I have a history, and usually all the same clients trough years now, so I used that as an argument that the money is for the services I provide.
We spent around 10 minutes talking on the phone and I was explaining myself, how I work and travel, and I also stated that if Iโ€™m on a public WiFi and I need to use banking or Paypal, then I log in trough VPN service.
Then they asked, when do I travel, will I travel more this year, to which countries I will travel, will I use Paypal again for invoicing, will I have regular monthly invoices.
Of course they say itโ€™s for your own safety.

Iโ€™m not sure does VPN emits some kind of unusual traffic, or they have IP blacklist in Paypal.
But it sounded like they were very concerned.

Anyway, after 2 days they have release my funds and my money landed on my credit card as usually.
But I would avoid that type of call.
Itโ€™s like when you get to immigration and they start to ask questions โ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Who else uses a VPN? I tried one last year, and coincidentally (?) my credit card info was stolen and duped (into an actual card they tried to use at retail) after trying one. Any advice on these services appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

VPNs are considered to be safe. Which provider did you use? It might be a really shady one or really just bad luck. Credit cards arenโ€™t really safe, thereโ€™s many ways someone couldโ€™ve stole the data.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I know! Ironically I did a trial for one called โ€œSaferVPNโ€ - now maybe the credit card being stolen was a coincidence, but my gut somehow says no. Anyway, I was considering a VPN again for other reasons and just wondering about othersโ€™ experiences.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I donโ€™t trust a shared IP VPN, itโ€™s so not safe for me

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am using share IP but did not get any problem but if you want to take extra precations then you can use dedicated IP which most of paid providers are allowed.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@acdc 9yr

I have both shared & dedicated IP VPN. Costs ~$100/yr.
I login pretty willy nilly. For some things Iโ€™ll use dedicated, other times Iโ€™ll use shared. In general though a lot of the time youโ€™d rather your general browsing be spread out so itโ€™s not all under the 1 IP!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

VPN encrypts traffic between two end points on the Internet creating a secure tunnel that does not let any external entity to intervene. If you use a dedicated I.P VPN provided by Ivacy, then you donโ€™t have to share your i.p with any one else.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ileitch 9yr

Itโ€™s possible, but probably pretty unlikely. IP address filters are generally used to block DDoS attacks, an attack originating from a VPN server is unlikely.

Companies generally avoid blocking IPs unless they really need to (i.e under attack), as they have no idea how many individuals they may actually be blocking. VPN is one example, but also corporate networks with a single public IP that use NAT internally. The IP address may also be dynamically assigned.

If this does happen, you can also try a different VPN server in the same region. My VPN provider (TorGuard) has multiple servers per region to select from.

In short; I wouldnโ€™t worry too much about it!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to ship bikes from US to Europe?

by @ld 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello,
Iโ€™m preparing to travel again to Europe, but this time I want to bring our bikes. 2 road bikes. Iโ€™ll be traveling from USA to the Milan or Rome airport.

Iโ€™d appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and tips on traveling with a bike. I plan on being fairly stationary with our location and staying in one spot for 2-3 months, then (hopefully train) to another spot for 3 months, etc. So itโ€™s the initial international flight Iโ€™m most concerned about. But realistically, I think a regional flight will be inevitable with the bikes, too.

I know a bike box will be huge and we will have to break down the bike, thankfully our bikes are fairly light weight. Iโ€™m expecting it to be a huge painโ€ฆbut I think the reward of having a good bike to roam around with will be invaluable. Especially since we will be staying in rural areas and donโ€™t want to rent a car.

General range of cost?

Anyone bring their bike and glad they did? โ€ฆWish they didnโ€™t?.. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do we solve housing for digital nomads?

by @levelsio 4yr 4 years ago  | 61 comments

Thereโ€™s been a lot of discussion on this recently.

Nomads usually stay in hostels, hotels and short-term apartments. But itโ€™s all not very optimal.

Iโ€™ve heard people suggest getting funding and building a network of houses you can stay at for a subscription price (e.g. Bruno Haid is working on that).

I donโ€™t want do physical stuff, so Iโ€™m thinking of building a platform around making housing better for nomads.

What are the housing problems nomads face? And how can we solve them with products/services?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Here is the itinerary of our trip to Costa Rica; what would you recommend?

in Costa Rica by @nomad4 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi everybody,

for those who read us in the past, we made some changes to our plan for this winter.
We decided for several reasons to postpone our trip to SEA, and decided to leave for a month in Costa Rica instead. Weโ€™ll still be travelling with our 2 kids and will need to work a little as well.

This is our itinerary for the month. 39

For those whoโ€™ve been there, how long do you think we should stay at each place?
We were planning roughly:

• 1 week in Tamarindo/Nosara
  • 2-3 nights in Monteverde
  • 2-3 night closer to the Arenal volcano
  • 2-3 night in Quepos
  • Uvita for undetermined period of time

Do you think thereโ€™s a place (among the ones we cited or else) we should consider to stay a little longer?

Magali and Guillaume

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best way to connect with "local" nomads using Nomadlist?

by @migueltic 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi, Iโ€™ve seen that Nomad List offers different options that could work for connecting with other nomads that are in the same place as me (forum, Slack, user maps, matches and maybe even more options I havenโ€™t seen), but Iโ€™m not sure what is the best/recommended way to use all these options.

Should I use all of them? Start with a message in the forum and/or Slack?

Sending private messages to a lot of people feels a little bit โ€œaggressiveโ€. And matches are not based on current location if I understood it correctly.

By the way, I just arrived at Budapest :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to arrange prescription medication abroad (for example Thailand / SEA)

in Thailand by @dezeisvastnogvrij 5yr 5 years ago  | 1 comment

Normally, when I go abroad for a longer period of time, I try to take as much medication with me from my home country as I can for that period. Which so far has worked well for me.

But if Iโ€™m going to be a full-time nomad that wonโ€™t work anymore. Mainly because Iโ€™ll then unregister from my country. Which has some downsides like not being able to have my current health insurance anymore. Other health insurance companies wonโ€™t cover existing conditions, so Iโ€™ll have to buy my medication โ€œover the counterโ€.

But since I need some medication which in The Netherlands (and I assume other countries) is only available on a doctors prescription. I was curious how people here arrange that (if there are any in the same boat as me).

The main medication I think would be hardest for me (and most expensive) to get is Epoetin-Alpha (Aranesp) injections.

Since thereโ€™s not really a โ€˜world wide standarizedโ€™ doctor prescription form, how do you get the medication abroad? Do you have a checkup there again at a local clinic before you can get the medication? (That would probably add to the cost too).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Property Ownership - should digital nomads buy properties?

by @sparrow_23 5yr 5 years ago  | 16 comments

I have been a digital nomad for the last couple of years. I have always worked in tech and now run a couple of profitable online businesses that give me a reliable income and allow me to fund a nomadic lifestyle.

I recently exited one of my businesses and I am considering to invest the income from the sale in properties, mainly for 2 reasons:

a) I donโ€™t want to keep wasting my money in renting apartments across the cities I stay

b) I believe in properties as investment and I want to diversify my investment portfolio (mainly stocks)

After years of constant wander from one place to another, now I am the type of digital nomad who sticks to few locations: I mainly rotate across 4 places each year (San Francisco, Medellin, Berlin, Bali). Buying a house in each of those location would be difficult and too expensive. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any sort of service that combines an investment opportunity with the ability to access different properties around the world (even if just for a limited time per year) ?

Imagine living in 4 cities per year and having a house in each place that you can exclusively use for 3 months and at the same time having your investment growing (this depending on the market, of course). Wouldnโ€™t that be great? I believe it could be done via a property fund selling you a share and giving you access to some of their properties for a limited timeframe each year.

Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to plan a big trip

by @thiagofinch 5yr 5 years ago  | 5 comments

Hello everyone, Iโ€™m getting ready for a great tour for over 10 countries.

In some countries, I would like to stay in 2 hotels and get to know the best places.

Does anyone know something of an app, spreadsheet or way to better organize the whole trip?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best Voip for mobile use

by @flipchan 5yr 5 years ago  | 4 comments

im looking for a voip provider that offers inbound and outbound calls to all countries.
I want to replace my swedish sim card with a voip number so i dont get charged alot while traveling, does anyone have a stable voip provider to recommend?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How does Lima's new municipal taxi app compare to Uber?

in Lima , Peru by @robertomasymas 5yr 5 years ago  | 0 comments

How does limaโ€™s new municipal taxi app TaxiMML compare to uber?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone have tips for preventing or getting over jet lag? ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜ดโœˆ๏ธ

by @artofbryce 5yr 5 years ago  | 10 comments

We just finished our first stint around South East Asia and somehow survived 3 days of way too many flights, leaving me to feel like death.

Too much shitty airplane food, not enough sleep, big time difference from Mexico to SEA.

Anyone have tips to prevent that more in the future (aside from better flight plans)? More importantly, how do I recover faster from this horror?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How much Data are you using per month?

by @jdiefenthaler 6yr 6 years ago  | 4 comments

I am trying to figure out three things. An average of how much data everyone uses per month, a low end of how little data is used, and a high end of how much data can be used? I am not interested in your methods of acquiring data. I am just interested in how much you use as a whole. This includes both work data usage and your personal data usage.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Living in Dubai for a month. Tips?

in Dubai , United Arab Emirates by @cyrilgupta 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Heya!
I have to be in Dubai by end of the month to finish the formation of my company and residency etc. Iโ€™ve stayed at hotels earlier, but that sounds pretty impractical considering I will be living there nearly for a month.

Anyone got any tips about renting a short-stay apartment for a month? Maybe even a few leads?

What about living in Dubai? I will be working hard, but I donโ€™t want to be bored out of my mind. Places I can hang out, things I can do?

Please share :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where to stay for a month in Taipei?

in Taipei , Taiwan by @gnefkow 6yr 6 years ago  | 7 comments

Hello,

My girlfriend and I will be heading to Taipei for a month in February, and weโ€™re trying to figure out where to live. Any advice onโ€ฆ

• How to find a place? Are there any websites where we could find a place for a month?
  • Area of town - which district should we try to stay in?

Weโ€™re on a budget, looking for something that would be around $400usd per month if possible.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Tips for nomads in Granada, Spain?

in Granada , Spain by @katieuniacke 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everyone. Iโ€™ve just moved to Granada in Andalucia to live with some friends I met in Mexico. Planning on staying a few months and then seeing where the wind takes me, but in the meantime, I wanted to know if there are any fellow nomads around, or if anyone has any tips for coworking spaces/cafes? Thanks in advance! :smiley:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you manage receiving mail without a permanent address in the Philippines?

in Philippines by @kaizenpreneur 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hello all,

I have a mail management service in the UK which all my mail gets sent to. This works fine 90% of the time and most can be dealt with digitally.

The other 10%, I need the mail sent on to me, which they do offer as a service. However, where I struggle is giving them an address to send it to in the Philippines, namely Manila.

Iโ€™ve used DHL for really important stuff, like bank cards, but it would be nice to have an address where I can forward certain mail. Anyone been able to set something up like this in the Philippines? Would a virtual office allow me to receive mail?

Thanks in advance

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Shipping From US to Medellin

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @larry_oz 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

We purchased an apartment in Medellin and are looking to ship some stuff from our storage unit there. Value of the stuff varies from Vitamix to iMacsโ€ฆ

Wondering if any of you can suggest the best shippers to work with. Weโ€™re not in a hurry to get it but want to make sure it arrives in one piece.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best SIP/VOIP service for small remote teams?

by @luisplz 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

Hi everyone,

we are a very small remote german company (3 at the moment) but we are expanding and three new colleagues will be working for us in the upcoming weeks/months. Up until now, we used Skype and my regular mobile phone line for all the intern/support and selling calls but since we will have soon other people working for support and selling too, we need to profesionalice that aspect.

In your opinion and experience, what is the best and more cost efficient VOIP / SIP service that we could use? Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the more hippy places in South and Central America

by @simonl 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi,

Iโ€™m looking for places in Central and South America that have more of a hippy vibe - yoga, good vegetarian/vegan food and good internet.

Let me know where youโ€™ve been.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Internet speed in Arequipa/Peru and the north of Chile

in Arequipa , Peru by @danielaf 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Has anyone been to Arequipa and worked with Skype or Zoom? Iโ€™m currently in Lima and have 8 Mbps which is fine. Funnily, Nomadlist lists Lima with an average speed of 2Mbps and Arequipa with 5Mbps. Any recent experiences? Also interested in the north of Chile as Iโ€™m thinking of travelling by bus to Arica, San Pedro de Atacama and then either to Argentina or slowly down south to Patagonia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Taipei or Kaohsiung for May?

in Taipei , Taiwan by @autumnflame 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

My partner and I are looking at staying in Taiwan for the month of May, and were wondering if Taipei or Kaohsiung is better for living and working in? Our primary purpose will be working, so cheap food/accommodation (thatโ€™s relatively easy for a foreigner to find and obtain) and fast internet are our biggest priorities, but some sightseeing and nightlife would be nice. (I know Taipei has the latter, not as sure about Kaohsiung.) Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
466ms