Welcome! We want to make a fun community and you can help by following these guidelines.
1) Ask ONLY questions in the forum
This is not a general purpose forum, it's a questions and answers forum. That means we only allow questions posted. If your post is not a question which helps the Nomad community, it's removed. So stuff like announcements of your meetup, product, site are removed. "Ask Me Anything" threads are by invitation only. And if you repeatedly post them, you're banned. Sorry!
When starting a new thread, please ask ONE question, in proper grammar and capitalization. For example, instead of naming your thread "laptop insurance europe", name it "What's the best laptop insurance for digital nomads in Europe?". Otherwise we'll have to remove it.
Please ask max ONE question per thread, instead of "I have some questions about Istanbul", post "What's the best coworking space in Istanbul?" and "Where should I eat in Istanbul?". This helps create a nice index of questions for future nomads.
When answering questions we require everyone to use proper grammar and capitalization as it keeps this site clean. If you don't we'll remove your post.
2) Set a profile photo
Please set a real photo as your profile pic. No logos, memes or other pictures that aren't your face.
3) Be nice
Remember that this is a public site. All content on here is publicly accessible even for non-members. That includes the forum, chat, trips and any others.
If you start fights, your account is disabled. Keep it decent!
4) Don't be mean.
5) Don't be sexist or racist, that means no misogyny or misandry. If you think it might offend people, it's not for here. This is not a bastion of free speech, this is a Q&A forum for nomads! Start a blog if you want freedom of speech!
6) This site is about digital nomads, NOT about expats
See http://expatforum.com (not affiliated), if you want to talk expat jobs and work permits. If you don't understand the difference between an expat and digital nomad, see http://innerwanderlust.com/expat-or-digital-nomad/
7) Don't post job ads
There's other sites for that, like https://remoteok.io
8) Don't self-promote / promote products / act like brand / spam
Don't promote your products/services/startups unless it's absolutely relevant in the context of the discussion. Affiliate links and competition links are considered self-promotional. Links are always nofollow on here, that means you won't get your SEO juice posting it here at all. Links to competitions are promotional and therefore included.
Also don't register as a brand, we'll disable your account and refund your initial sign-up fee. Please have a profile pic that shows your face. We don't allow brands on here at any time, unless as paid advertisement.
We also don't allow any spam or flooding. That means lots of messages in a short time to grab attention.
If you want to promote something, you can advertise, see https://nomadlist.com/faq#advertise, you'll help support Nomad List
We have an exception when it's a 100% non-profit project you're promoting with no commercial goal now or in the future AND it's relevant for digital nomads.
**9) Don't ask or give people medical advice. If you're depressed, find a local therapist. Strangers on the internet do not have the answer.
10) Don't ask people to do your survey, review your site or do any other user research (a la Lean Startup, "please help me build my startup")
As much as we do enjoy these posts, it'd get crowded with those very fast if we'd allow them, deteriorating the experience for users.
11) Don't ask startup questions
This is not a startup site, this is a site about digital nomads and remote work, try http://news.ycombinator.com to talk about startups. On Slack we have a #_startup channel you can use though.
12) Don't use affiliate links
Don't use affiliate links in your posts when linking to products you talk about please. This includes promo codes.
13) Post relevant answers to questions. No random babbling please.
14) Please do NOT discuss or mention (instant ban if you do)
* internet marketing
* affiliate marketing (doesn't work anymore and is sleazy)
* lifestyle marketing
* day trading (95% of day traders LOSE money)
* dropshipping (is a scam, only works temporarily)
* info products (teaches other people to scam)
* life coaching (teaches other people to scam)
* guru-esque stuff (people who are experts don't need to sell themselves)
* herbal supplements, health products and quackery
* "CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND WORK FROM A BEACH"-deceptive ebooks/courses selling a dream that does not exist and are meta in its nature, since the only reason you can be on a beach is by selling other people the dream of being on that beach (thus being a Ponzi scheme), also beaches and laptops don't mix
* black-hat & grey-hat SEO (just make good stuff and Google will notice)
* tax evasion (that's illegal and different from tax avoidance, which IS legal)
* sex tourism, prostitution, PUA groups
* anything illegal
* or anything else that makes the world a worse place
Making money is never an excuse to deceive people and do stuff that's bad for the world. There's enough fun work to do that pays and IS awesome and leaves the world better than you found it. Just be a (wo)man and stand for ethical values and not short-term profits.
Why this long list? The digital nomad scene has been littered for the last decade with scammy stuff like this. It's not cool. It keeps a lot of people out and makes the entire scene look like absolute idiots. So this is my little way of trying to raise the level. Do good.
15) Always make your mom proud
If your mom wouldn't agree with what you're doing, then it's probably bad and you should not do it. Make your mother proud every day!
16) Feedback on Nomad List
If you have feedback on any of our sites or apps, please use the feedback box at the bottom left of the site. Opening a thread here won't work
17) I need help!
Contact @grum from moderation issues and hello at nomadlist.com for account support issues.
18) Not following guidelines results in permabans
I don't really have much time left to moderate this site, as I mostly like to make stuff and not moderate, so to save me time: not following these guidelines is an instant permaban, nothing personal. Your IP, email and browser combo will be blocked. If you create another account, we'll block that again. And again. And again. And again.
By using, posting or reading on Nomad List's forum, chat, and other websites, you agree to these legal terms. In short, that means we're not responsible if you follow the advice on this site and get hurt, and you give us a license to use everything you write here to publish.