Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (647K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=6,002) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations ๐Ÿก  Interior AI ๐Ÿ“ธ  Photo AI โœจ  Applicant AI ๐Ÿ’Ž  Clarity AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best noise canceling headphones?

by @matthewmagellan 9yr  | 19 comments

Does anyone have recommendations for noise canceling over-ear headphones for traveling? Iโ€™m not quite a minimalist, but I do believe in โ€œfewer, nicer things,โ€ so I want something that will last. Iโ€™m considering the famous $300 Bose headphones, but after consulting with The Wirecutter it seems like I might be perfectly happy with a budget pick.

These are mostly to for plane travel. I get weirdly distraught by airplane noise on long haul flights.

Thanks! Also, this is my first post! :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@davidkeys 7yr

Iโ€™d second the Bose QC25โ€™s - theyโ€™re perfect for flights, noisy cafes, etc. The one thing I would warn about is the ear pads will disintegrate in hot/humid locations. My pair looked new after a year of use, but after two months on Koh Phangan the black finish wore off and fabric came unglued by the third month. I was told that was the case for almost any over-the-ear headphones there. You could purchase a couple extra sets on Amazon for something like $7 each. This is mostly esthetic and didnโ€™t affect the functionality.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@alexbegey 7yr

Iโ€™m replacing my Bose QC25 with Sony MDR-1000x that I just got. The sound quality is fantastic, and so is the noice-cancelling. Theyโ€™re wireless (bluetooth w/ aptX). The rechargeable battery life is great (20+ hours). They also have nifty touch controls on the right speaker. So far Iโ€™m loving them! Itโ€™s very freeing to not be tethered to a cable without sacrificing sound quality! Also, I much prefer having a rechargeable set versus having to carry extra batteries.

I also compared them with the Bose QC35, but I find the sound quality is much better on the Sonyโ€™s (especially when wired), and so are the extra features. Plus, the Sonyโ€™s are regularly on sale for the same price as the Bose.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I have both and I always find myself wanting the Bose first. They are by far my favorites.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I carry the ridiculously heavy, uncomfortable 3m Tec construction earmuffs. There are better ones for aviation workers. These things work! I can cancel dorm snoring, dog barking, plane noise, traffic. Paired with earbuds inside playing white noise or whatever Iโ€™m bullet proof.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@yaroslav 9yr

Not an active noise canceling believer โ€” donโ€™t think it is any good; however, if you love one, go for Bose.

For a really good portable, closed, foldable โ€œlifestyleโ€ headphone Iโ€™d only recommend two: Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 โ€” classy looks, for acoustic, classical, jazz, old-rock music lovers, OR V-MODA Crossfade M-100 (DJ-style lifestyle headphone, very durable and customisable, for bass lovers). Both are freaking amazing.

Donโ€™t recommend Bluetooth headphones: sound quality is still not there, iOS does not support AptX at this point, battery level is always an extra issue that you donโ€™t want to have, price is crazy compared to their wired โ€œbaseโ€ models.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@inthaiguy 9yr

Do not get JVC - these both broke and bad noise cancelations.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Theyโ€™re not over ear headphones, but I recently picked up a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 20i noise canceling ear buds and I love them. They block a lot of sound and theyโ€™re super compact for traveling.

Note that these are for use with Apple devices. Bose also make the QC 20 model for use with non-Apple devices.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Totally agree with you on that one. The Bose QC 20i Acoustic Noise cancelling headphones are the best especially for a tour guy like me. Absolutely thrilled with quality of sound and I guess these are best ones out there when you consider noise cancelling headphones. Planning on getting the new QC25 next. Do you have any idea as to how that is? I hope it doesnโ€™t disappoint.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I got a package in the mail today from Bose. WHAT MAGIC POWERS THESE HEADPHONES?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@patrick 9yr

1 AAA battery

(And a post must me at least 20 characters, so I give you this sentence for free)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@jb510 9yr

I got a set of AudioTechnica ATH-ANC33I and I love them. Theyโ€™re easy to travel with, cut out tons of background noise.

I also have a pair of Noise Hush over the ear headphones, but they made my head hot and were a pain to haul aroundโ€ฆ I find all over the ear headphones uncomfortable, so the only pair I use are the ATโ€™s.

The ATโ€™s do a good job with low frequency sounds (airplane engines, fans, etc.). The over the ear kind definitely do better with higher frequencies (people talking). Comfy and easy to travel with, built in mic too, although not as good as the mic on my Apple Ear Buds.

If I lost the ATโ€™s, Iโ€™d instantly replace them with the exact same thingโ€ฆ

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What about noise canceling intra-auricular earbuds ?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you for the insight, everyone! After these comments and a few ringing endorsements from Twitter and friends, I went for the Bose! Excited to try them out on an upcoming 16-hour Chicago-Hong Kong flight. I was feeling desperate to find headphones that will make the flight more comfortable, but Iโ€™ll also use them on lots of future flights of course!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve got the Bose ones you mentioned and the unexpected benefits have been huge.
The quality is 100% and the fact that I can seemingly switch the world off at any point is just great for focus, or sleep in noisy places, or when travelling. Especially good against boats, trains and planes.
Quick to charge ( less than 2 hours I believe). I barely seem to charge them and theyโ€™re fine. Only negative side is the world seems so noisy without them!!
In ear ones by the way!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

I guess it depends on your sleeping style. I have to have my head sideways to sleep but then the headphones are in the way! They are a bit of bulky style so maybe something flatter would work better.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 9yr

I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones. They are good but they donโ€™t cut 100% of noise. Still good enough for most purposes and I am very sensitive to noise.

Iโ€™m considering getting a pair of bud ones as well because the over ear ones arenโ€™t good for sleeping on planes.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the insight, Kathryn! What donโ€™t you like about sleeping on planes with over-ear headphones? Personally Iโ€™m not a big fan of sleeping on planes with in-ear headphones, but that might be because I always have to turn them up too much on a plane to hear anything. :smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I have the Bose and they really are wonderful, Iโ€™d recommend them in a heartbeat. They are light and the sound quality is very good but most importantly, they are extremely comfortable to wear even for long periods of time.

Get the QC25, you wonโ€™t regret the 300$.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@patrick 9yr

Same here. I also have the Bose QuietSound 25 and love it.
I was impressed after testing it out from a friend, and bought it directly. Maybe more as a impusle buy, but never regretted it.
During my first flight with it (Madrid > Quito, Ecuador) I used it and never had a better flight beside the lack of personal video screens. I even got to sleep in the plane with is so not meโ€ฆ I thought.

The only downside is the need of a AAA battery. Luckly the headphone still works without it, the old Bose set dod not have that option. Love to have a version you can recharge via USB.

When boarding at AMS for my flight, I saw them for โ‚ฌ30 less then in the regular shops.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What features would you like to see on Nomad List?

by @levelsio 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear what you'd like me to build next on Nomad List, or any other product/feature feedback ideas you have.

It's been 6+ years now but I'm in this for the long term and with the boost remote work got last year it's even more exciting to work on Nomad List than ever.

Current roadmap is here: twitter.com/levelsio/status/1363204985488572417?s=20 and pbs.twimg.com/media/EusS9PKXEAUR8xp?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The next products/features I have planned:

- ๐Ÿ›‚ Rebase: visa, residency and immigration services for remote workers

- ๐ŸŽ“Courses: learn the steps how to go remote and travel/relocate

- ๐Ÿ› Gov liaison: diplomacy services to the governments to help us lobby for nomads and for them to attract remote workers

Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

List of Visa/Residency Information in Table/Spreadsheet format?

by @innovatelife 3yr 3 years ago  | 2 comments

As part of signing up for this website I was hoping I would come across a list of Visa and/or Residency requirements by country ideally in a table format to assist with decision making. Does anybody recommend any other websites that might present the information in this format (or Google Spreadsheet)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Most Walkable Neighborhood / City In The World ?

by @dannybooboo 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

I love living in walkable areas of town. I can always find them. But now I'm wondering where in the world are the most walkable places? I'm imagining walk streets (no cars), zoning allowing both business and residential, parks or beaches ,etc.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any nomads in Arizona, US?

in Netherlands by @info132 3yr 3 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi guys,

After the Netherlands, the Bay Area, Colorado and being on the van life for 8 months, I am now in Sedona, AZ with a few other digital nomads. We are sharing a home here and are wondering if there are more like minded people in the area.

We do a bunch of hikes and campouts in the northern of Arizona. If you would like to connect with us, please do so :)

Val

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

International number & internet?

by @leobassam 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

Has anyone figured out a way to get setup with a virtual number and internet connection anywhere you go?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of?

in Germany by @clara 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi everybody. I live and work in Germany and want to go to Canary Islands for 6 months to work from there. I'm going to keep my current job, just change the "home" in the home office part of things. Are there any tax issues I have to be aware of? I was reading about becoming a residence after 183 days, thus having to pay taxes there plus my employer having to register there. Does anybody know how it works exactly? Thanks a lot!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chiang Mai accommodation

in Chiang Mai , Thailand by @bertieb 3yr 3 years ago  | 0 comments

Can anyone recommend a good accommodation website for Chiang Mai?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is anyone travelling right now?

by @viktor 3yr 3 years ago  | 3 comments

Winter is coming and Iโ€™m feeling the ache of travelling after being stuck in the same place since the Pandemic started. Wondering if anyone is travelling right now? If so, where are you currently located and how is the situation where you are?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best noise-canceling microphone for remote VOIP calls?

by @mikevallano 9yr 9 years ago  | 16 comments

Being nomadic comes with its fair share of background noise (roosters, motorcycles, speakers on trucks announcing todayโ€™s fruit specials, celebratory explosions, etc.).

While lots of fun, it can be distracting during client calls, which I typically hold via Google Voice or Skype just using my macbookโ€™s built-in microphone.

I donโ€™t want to carry an extra headset, especially if itโ€™s over-the-ear and looks like Iโ€™m working at a call center.

Itโ€™d be really nice to have quality earbuds that also have a decent mic built in, but I have yet to find anything that fits the bill.

Does anyone have a good earbud/microphone solution?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
678ms