Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,883) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As a woman and/or minority, are there any places you would not recommend traveling to?

by @gigigriffis 8yr  | 29 comments

Hi all!

So, Iโ€™m in Colombia at the moment and have experienced some really intense harassment and even violence here. I was shocked because itโ€™s been recommended to me by so many people, and so I thought perhaps it would be useful to start a thread here where we (we being women and other minorities) can talk about places where we recommend either not traveling or being particularly on guard.

So, are there any places youโ€™ve been where youโ€™ve experienced more violence, harassment, or maltreatment? Are there any places that you recommend other women/LGBT/ethnic minorities be particularly careful or not travel to?

I donโ€™t want this to become a super negative thing or a personal preference thing, but I am hoping to get some insight into areas that might be more concerning and/or unsafe for certain groups so that we can all make informed decisions about where we want to spend our time. I really wish someone would have been frank with me about the issues here in Colombia, so Iโ€™m hoping we can be frank with each other about places where we havenโ€™t felt 100% safe.

So, Iโ€™ll start:

Iโ€™ve had little to no problems in other parts of South and Central America, but here in Colombia I have witnessed not only street harassment, but also actual violence and malice and, worse, have seen people who could do something to stop it shrugging it off and saying โ€œitโ€™s normal here.โ€ I would not recommend it for women and particularly women traveling alone.

Similarly, in Morocco I felt very uncomfortable as a female traveler. There wasnโ€™t as much yelling or in-your-face harassment, but there was a ton of staring, men invading my space (standing over me in a bus and staring down at me from less than a foot away, for example), and men treating me like a second-class citizen (refusing to let me pass them on the sidewalk and instead forcing me to go around them into a busy street). I was traveling with a friend and we were both pretty exhausted by the end of the trip.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Traveling with kids definitely gives you better treatment but I experienced wonderful help in Colombia when i was solo here 7 years ago.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@kathrynoh 7yr

So agree.

I spend a lot of time in Tokyo and people always talk about how safe it is. And it is a really safe country most of the time for material possessions. Sexual harassment is a whole other issue. Every woman I know who has spend significant time here has stories of ickiness and, as a foreign woman you get a lot less of it than locals.

It does seem to be taken more seriously than it used to be there is still a lot of stuff that youโ€™d never report.

Iโ€™d never say donโ€™t travel to Tokyo or Japan because of it but itโ€™s something to be aware of. Iโ€™ve seen people post โ€œwhat to packโ€ type posts suggesting wearing tank tops etc. I know from experience that wearing something revealing any chest skin will get you harassed (not even cleavage, just any skin from the neck down). Of course, people are free to wear what they want but itโ€™s always better to know what kind of reaction youโ€™ll get if you do.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@replay 7yr

This might be weird coming from a guyโ€ฆ But Iโ€™ve made bad experiences walking around Male, the capital of the Maldives, with my girlfriend at the time. My impression was that all tourists who visit the Maldives usually skip Male and directly move on to their hotel islands, but we decided to spend a few days in Male. In some of these situations I felt really unsafe walking through the dark alleys at night with her holding my hand because of all the intense stares at her by whole groups of men, which is something that Iโ€™ve never experienced before. I imagine if she would have been alone it would have been even worse. (Is it ironic that the name of that city is โ€œMaleโ€?)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Agree on Male. I was there on way through to ferrying around a few Maldives islands last year and it was very uncomfortable at times. On Rasdhoo, where we spent most of our time it was generally fine, but once we walked into a restaurant around 2pm where there was some sort of secretive political meeting going on where we were shouted at. Maldives is beautiful but some strange elements.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m in colombia now (came back after 7 years) and i have experienced the opposite treatment as a woman. in fact i brought my toddlers and husband this time. iโ€™ve had the most challenges in africa and felt like common sense works in central and south america.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thatโ€™s so interesting! I wonder if having kids with you impacts how youโ€™re treated.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve spent a lot of time in Italy and in Spain and the cultures there are nowhere near what Iโ€™ve experienced here, oskar. Itโ€™s not even in the same category. Yet again, look at the data and please listen, rather than getting defensive, when women tell you that our experiences are negative. I know you donโ€™t have to deal with itโ€ฆand thatโ€™s precisely at the point. As a man, you have different experiences.

And please keep in mind that this wasnโ€™t meant to be a thread where we debate the merits of a single place. It was meant to be a thread where women and minorities can share their personal experiences of places that havenโ€™t felt safe to them. Whether you, as a man, feel Colombia is โ€œthe sameโ€ as Italy or Spain is irrelevant to the discussion.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone have opinions on Ecuador or the area around Machu Picchu?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lgonzalez 8yr

My experience in Ecuador was mixed. On the coastal small towns people were lovely and I felt very safe. On the other hand, Quito was a very sketchy placeโ€”everyone was on their guard there. Lots of robberies in plain daylight targetting tourists (sometimes even armed robberies).

By โ€œthe area around Machu Picchuโ€, do you mean Aguas Calientes (the artificial town right next to it) or Cusco (the nearest โ€œrealโ€ city)?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for that info., I appreciate. Re: Machu Picchu โ€“ I guess Cusco โ€“ I havenโ€™t investigated it a whole lot, but I think thatโ€™s what Iโ€™ve heard most about. MP and Ecuador were top of my list, for now, should I make it to SA at some point.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

which coastal towns did you like? we are looking at basing ourselves for 3 months o=in olon or puerto cayo.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

Iโ€™ve moderated the last replies a bit as it was turning into a flame war. Please everyone behave :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@levelsio 8yr

I think the variation really depends on a lot of factors.

When I walked with my girlfriend she said the harassment would drop to about 10% of walking alone.

And it also depends on race, sheโ€™s Asian, and many Latin Americans (and other people) think Asians are easy and weak. Which is stupid.

Your milage may vary and everyoneโ€™s perception of how good or bad it is is literally relative (especially relative to your original culture, so if youโ€™re from a Latin country yourself, it might be easier to adjust).

The only way to measure it would be to compare it to another country. So letโ€™s pick The Netherlands. Compared to the Netherlands, Colombia has really bad female safety/friendliness. Compared to the Netherlands, Colombia is extremely sexist, patriarchal, macho and male-dominated. Before you get angry, thereโ€™s boat loads of data on this too as you can see below.

On its own, Colombia is fine. Compare it to other countries, not so much. Actually itโ€™s called the #7 worst country to travel to as a female:

It is so bad that even women rights defenders who are women have been targeted and raped. Law enforcement has not been helpful in prosecuting attackers. Women who are sexually attacked have difficulty getting adequate medical treatment due to lack of facilities and interest in appropriate care after such an attack. (Source, Human Rights Watch 2014 report.)

There is a particular problem with the bus system - the main public transportation is unsafe since the buses are dangerous due to attacks and accidents as well as being filthy. In an amusing side-note, this country is so unclear on the concept of what women appreciate that one mayor hired male strippers to celebrate International Womenโ€™s Day. Local women and children were not amused.

Hereโ€™s some data from Hofstedeโ€™s cultural index:

Itโ€™s a strongly masculine society:

At 64 Colombia is a Masculine society โ€“ highly success oriented and driven. Colombians are competitive and status-oriented, yet collectivistic rather than Individualist. This means that competition is directed towards members of other groups (or social classes), not towards those who are perceived as members of your own in-group.

Add to that very strong hierarchical properties:

At 67 Colombia scores high on the scale of the PDI, so it is a society that believes that inequalities amongst people are simply a fact of life. This inequality is accepted in all layers of society, so a union leader will have a lot of concentrated power compared to his union management team, and they in turn will have more power than other union members. A similar phenomenon will be observed among business leaders and among the highest positions in government.

What does that combine into? Well, a disdain for women and seeing them as inequal to men.

How about human rights for women? Not 100% applicable to travelers but it gets us pretty far. This is from Human Rights Watch:

Gender-based violence (GBV) is widespread in Colombia, but studies show that it may be higher for displaced women and girls. The government has laws, policies, and programs to address such violence, and the particular risk to displaced women and girls. However, lack of training and poor implementation of protocols create obstacles for women and girls seeking post-violence care. These include the failure of health facilities to properly implement relevant laws and policiesโ€”with the result that women and girls may not be adequately screened for signs of GBV, may be mistreated, may face delays in accessing essential services or be arbitrarily denied medical care altogether.

Barriers to justice for GBV victims include mistreatment by authorities, evidentiary challenges, and fear of retribution. Women and girl victims of this kind of violence are at times not informed about their legal rights, including where and how to access services. Perpetrators of GBV crimes are rarely brought to justice.

Human rights defenders are routinely threatened and attacked by perpetrators who are virtually never brought to justice. On February 28, a pamphlet allegedly signed by the โ€œรguilas Negras-Bloque Capitalโ€ paramilitary successor group threatened two United Nations agencies and numerous human rights organizations, including several womenโ€™s rights groups. Human Rights Watch documented several cases of rape of women human rights defenders in late 2011 and 2012.

Iโ€™m not a white knight. Just showing you the data. And honestly Iโ€™m a bit tired with people (especially in Latin America) denying any of these problems. The data shows thereโ€™s problems. You might not encounter them ever (esp. as a guy), but theyโ€™re still there.

I donโ€™t have a vice against the country either, I had fun there, but Colombia is simply behind on this compared to other countries based on factual data. And that makes it harder for women to travel there than most other countries (except maybe India and the Middle East). Itโ€™s not that itโ€™s a conscious thing of people to act in this way, itโ€™s a cultural artifact that perpetuates through upbringing. And sometimes local cultural behavior (like sexism) goes against how the rest of the world is evolving (against sexism).

I donโ€™t think itโ€™s bad to express this either, by expressing it it makes people think about it and work on it. As much as it takes time to change it, thereโ€™s good will with Colombians to better the country. You saw that in the last decades how their country has relatively flourished compared to the bad times before. They want change. So letโ€™s figure out where they need the change.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am in Medellin right now. Been here for many weeks. Gringo tourists? Sounds like you are in Poblado. Which is pretty much time sq. You know what locals call that place. Gringolandia. Yesterday at dinner (in Pob) 3 prostitutes being sold to some businessmen. Its common but specifically in that area. Its only place you can speak english and everyone understands. That is a bit odd for a latin speaking country. It is definitly an outlier location.

But there are many barrios which are very very nice. Tried Envigado? Its awesome. Tried Las Vegas? Its modern and up and coming. 5 blocks sq from my house I have 30 restaurants, 20 haircut place, fast internet (fast-ish) and a cleaning person who comes daily for $10 USD a day.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I lived in envigado, so yes, Iโ€™ve tried there. I also speak Spanish so I know exactly whatโ€™s being said. I lived in Mexico for 4 years. Treatment or women in both places is like night and day.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am in Colombia now and been here loads of times with my wife (woman and minority). What city have you noticed this? I know Cali, Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena. Cali semi sketchy and Bogota has its areas. But 99% of time it is fine.

Places a woman or minority may have issues is Cairo, parts of India and China and a few other Middle Eastern countries.

Sorry you are having a hard time in Colombia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Personally, I lived in Medellin and it was not enjoyable for multiple reasons, but one was the shitty way women are treated both by the locals and the creepy gringo sex tourists.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lgonzalez 8yr

@antonioevans, as a guy, youโ€™re much less likely to witness this kind of harassment in Colombia. Your very presence will likely prevent it from happening (unlike in some other countries). Women will be seen as easy targets when alone, after dark, traveling on a low budget, and so on. I had a lot of fun in Cartagena and the northern coast, but at the same time I had to be on guard whenever I was alone or just with other women. It was manageable, but very stressful. I definitively wouldnโ€™t want to stay there for a month or anything like that.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

If you see my note above my wife is one who wrote this. She usually isnt with me. she is about five two -ish and pretty. She never had any issue and been multiple times. We literally on a 3 month here then to Europe some. I know each person has had different experiences. I really respect yours. But for us ZERO negativity other then normal Latin American bs stuff.

And if you are here come hang with us. You might see a different view of the country. We been doing this โ€œforeverโ€ so we are very accustom to becoming a chameleon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

As others have eloquently expressed, your very presence as a man is likely to prevent or lessen the harassment, so it would be unlikely that you would notice it. My experiences are in Medellin and Guatape.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

My wife wrote what I wrote. And I respect what they have said. We currently in party with 4 expats (3 female 1 male. Canada/UK/US/not sure whereโ€ฆ). All agree with her. As I said I respect your point. But my data is not wrong.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@adamsimms 8yr

As a member of the LGBT community, I donโ€™t recommend going to Egypt. I did a week-long tour of Cairo, Luxor and Aswan this past summer with my partner. Iโ€™m planning on writing a more in-dept blog post about my experience, but in general I did not feel safe and I was very conscious of my behavior. Iโ€™ll update my comment with a link to the article once itโ€™s up.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@sfomadeze 8yr

@gigigriffis Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Colombia. Iโ€™m sorry to hear that.

I spent six weeks in Mexico City by myself a couple years ago. I met some lovely people and had some great food, but my experiences with men on the street marred my experience. A guy tried to grab my private parts on the subway. I warned him and moved away, but he persisted, so I screamed at him and got off the train. Another time a teenager pinched my butt and ran away. I donโ€™t mind people looking, but some groups of guys would stare at me very intensely, which made me uncomfortable. I wasnโ€™t catcalled myself, but I saw blonde, foreign-looking women get catcalled a few times.

People have different experiences, so Iโ€™m not sure if mine were typical of DF or not. That said, Iโ€™ve been in uncomfortable situations other places (India, Turkey), but it felt like it was more because I was foreign. In DF was the only time it seemed to be just because I was a woman.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

@hungryzi - I didnโ€™t think catcalls were part of the SEA culture? (Except maybe from badly behaved expats.) I didnโ€™t experience that when I was there. However, I did read some personal bad experiences from women (and men) who visited Cambodia on some blogs, so I decided to skip itโ€ฆ

I also havenโ€™t been up to traveling to India or South America solo, and have also talked to women who have, and have had an amazing time. I suspect many of them must have linked up with other backpackers so they werenโ€™t really solo most of the time, but of course, we all have our different comfort levels. Like @gigigriffis, another friend of mine did not feel safe or comfortable in Colombia though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@lgonzalez 8yr

Iโ€™ve spent about 6 months traveling in South America solo and, in my experience, the safety situation varies widely, sometimes even within countries. Generally speaking, I felt pretty safe in Argentina and Uruguay, and least safe in Colombia and Peru. Traveling and/or going out with other backpackers will usually deter harassment in SA. However, India was a whole different situation; you have to be pretty thick skinned if you want to backpack there. Even if you travel with a guy (like I did) and dress very conservatively, you will experience a lot of harassment, like guys trying to touch you or hotel/guesthouse employees trying to enter your room, etc. It was really exhausting and made catcalling seem pretty insignificant. The only other country where Iโ€™ve had that experience is Morocco.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@hungryzi 8yr

@gigigriffis, thanks for sharing your experience and Iโ€™m sorry youโ€™ve been through that.

I personally delayed going to South America due to safety concerns. Being an Asian female growing up in Southeast Asia, Iโ€™m used to bad traffic, catcalls and condescending views from men. However, from stories I have been told, the violence in South America is of different types and I wasnโ€™t sure I could handle it. I hope to make it there this year though and I will be on the lookout for sure.

Another place Iโ€™m a little concerned about visiting is India/Pakistan. On the other hand Iโ€™ve met so many ladies solo-traveled there. I guess it depends on what actually happens to you there for you to form an opinion. Iโ€™m hoping to get there next year too, just with extra caution.

I havenโ€™t been any place that I feel really in danger yet (Iโ€™ve been to SEA, Schengen zone, Russia, China, the US, Australia and NZ). So far itโ€™s just the minor annoyances of pickpockets, catcalls, and sometimes aggressive homeless. The place I felt worst about is actually SF streets at night when a few drunk and aggressive homeless people approached.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™ve gotten a โ€œwhy did you look me in the eyes if you didnโ€™t want me to approach you?โ€ (ie, hit on you with a lot of pressure), as well as a man openly hitting on me in front of his wife in Istanbul. And I was only there (during a layover) for 8 hours. I know some people, including solo women travelers, love Istanbul, but my experience and the cultural differences there were enough for me to say โ€˜no thanksโ€™ to future visits. Itโ€™s not that I was worried as much as I just felt uncomfortable.

Also, if you go to certain parts of Barbados, expect a LOT of attention from the local men โ€“ relentless, really โ€“ and I was even traveling with two women on that trip. Most of the time we felt relatively safe but I was SO glad I didnโ€™t go alone.

Regardless of these experiences, I managed to enjoy and appreciate a lot of things about both places.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Aside from Saudi, as a woman there isnโ€™t really anywhere Iโ€™m worried about traveling alone. And even there it is more because it is almost impossible than out of any kind of fear. You just have to know what to expect and be ready for it.

Sexuality, especially if it is overt, is a different matter imo as it can be much more life threatening in some areas. But since it isnโ€™t something that impacts me directly I canโ€™t comment with knowledge.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I am going to have to agree on Morocco. I did a trip a while back to Agadir, Essaouira, and Marrakesh. Although, I never truly thought I was in any danger, there were more than a fair share of uncomfortable moments like the ones you described. I was with a girlfriend at the time, and she had the same issues. I wouldnโ€™t say itโ€™s enough to not go, but just be ready for it :wink:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?)

by @orangutan3 3yr 3 years ago  | 1 comment

What are the best places right now in the Caribbean/LatAM? (Also cheapest flights/accommodation?) Asking from the US.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to get SMS verifications for banks while traveling?

by @jackgopack 4yr 4 years ago  | 38 comments

Any suggestions for seamlessly receiving SMS Verifications from US financial institutions and other sites while traveling internationally continuously? Wonโ€™t keep my US Verizon account due to cost and currently plan to use local sims at each destination (T-Mobile and Project Fi are NOT an option as they terminate for continuous roaming). In summation, I wonโ€™t have a US mobile account.

Unless Iโ€™m missing something, which is very possible, this appears to be the single most complex issue Iโ€™ve encountered in my preparations, and one that no one addresses. I would greatly appreciate any possible solution that works 100% of the time. Canโ€™t afford surprises in this regard. Many Thanks! Jack.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How do you ensure that you have good WiFi for working whilst travelling e.g. in places like India?

in India by @davda1546 4yr 4 years ago  | 4 comments

We are hoping to travel later this year and we will be working remotely - how do you ensure you get good WiFi in places such as in India where the signal isn't always great? Do you have any tips on where to go/ what equipment you have to get?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What's the best SIM card you can get for traveling to Spain?

in Spain by @gabygarreau 4yr 4 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi! I want to relocate to Spain and I was wondering if someone can recommend a SIM card with a good data package.

Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What is your ergonomic set-up while traveling?

by @caseyr 5yr 5 years ago  | 18 comments

What is your ergonomic set-up while traveling?

I personally have an external keyboard, and am currently exploring getting a laptop stand, some lumbar support, and a trackball-mouse.

What do you use? How are you balancing health / portability?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Which places in South East Asia are suitable for kids?

by @nomad4 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everybody,

weโ€™re a family of 4 from Canada (Quebec province) leaving to Thailand on December 1st.
Our plan is to take things slowly and live in a peaceful environment while working a little and doing homeschooling to our 6-year-old son (plus escaping Canadian-cold winter :smile:)

This is roughly what our plan would look like:

• arriving in Bangkok, staying there for about a week (air bnb probably)
  • moving to Chiang Mai then Krabi (most likely Ao Nang, Ao Tha Lane, Railay) or Koh Pha Ngan (North part) or Koh Chang (2-3 months)
  • then Indonesia (Bali/Gili islands) (1,5 months)
  • And Malaysia (Batu Ferengi, Penang) to finish (1 month)

Weโ€™re not city dwellers, and love being surrounded by nature.
Knowing that, what would be the best places for a family who want something quiet, walkable and with reliable Internet service?

Thanks! :slight_smile:
Magali and Guillaume

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Getting started: where to?

by @vforvalerio87 5yr 5 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi everybody!

I just joined this community because Iโ€™m currently in a place in life where I can live the digital nomad lifestyle and I feel like I would really be missing out if I didnโ€™t catch this opportunity. I work fully remotely, no fixed hours, I currently live in northern Italy and I basically have no partner or kids.

So, the question isโ€ฆ where to? I would love to hear the advice of more experienced digital nomads!
Laptop and internet is enough for me to work but I need decent internet for conferencing and I really have to put in the hours: some days are more relaxed, others Iโ€™ll have to work all day and night.
I enjoy more temperate climates, so no torrid heat or unbearable humidity, if possible.
I like decent food but Iโ€™m very adaptable in terms of tastes: anything is fine as long as quality is good and sanitary conditions are acceptable.
I absolutely do not enjoy the club life and would just rather go hiking during the weekends and pubs (or breweries) during the evenings. Iโ€™m a social person though and I donโ€™t particularly enjoy places where people are too introverted (been in Seattle for four monthsโ€ฆ the freeze is real); I really look forward to making friends or acquaintances wherever I end up.
I enjoy decent transportation so places where thereโ€™s a viable metro system or Uber actually works would be nice.
I prefer places with a bit more of history and culture (this is one of the reasons why I absolutely loved Portugal, for example).
Iโ€™d like to spend under $3k average per month for rent, food and going out.

For now I was thinking either:

• Staying close to home for a first experience, so something like Vienna or Berlin
  • South East Asia; Iโ€™ve been to Hong Kong a few times before, now I was thinking either Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi, or possibly Thailand
  • South America, especially Colombia. I also have some people I know in Bogota and in Medellin, which I think would be a plus

When? Ideally I would leave anywhere from mid to late March and stay away for 2 or 3 months.

Sorry for the long read, I hope to get some input. Thank you for your time, if we ever meet in person I owe you a beer (or whatever youโ€™d prefer).

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are the most comfortable and affordable coworking places in Amsterdam?

in Amsterdam , Netherlands by @frosay 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

What are the most comfortable and affordable coworking places in Amsterdam?
I donโ€™t like noisy cafes and high prices of Spaces.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

London meet-ups / events / places to meet nomads?

in London , United Kingdom by @jameswander 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Are there any regular meet-ups or other places to meet nomads in London?

This was the only nomad focused event I saw on meetup.com:
https://www.meetup.com/meetup-group-BNBrelBl/events/252398877/

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Getting a Russian Visa while traveling

in Russia by @shaulsolomon 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

I am an English/American currently in Israel, and heading in a week to Georgia/Armenia for two weeks and then want to head to Russia for a week.
As I am only in Israel for another week, would it be possible to apply for the visa in Israel and ask to receive it in Armenia (my last stop before I want to go to Russia)?
Or perhaps there is another better option that I have available?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Cheapest places to be a digital nomad in Latin America?

by @jfowler 6yr 6 years ago  | 1 comment

Hey guys โ€” Iโ€™m looking for the best cheap places to be a digital nomad in Central and South America. Priority list: 1) cheap 2) social 3) strong internet. Iโ€™m in debt and need to cut my cost of living as low as possible. But hey, I still have to live it up. THanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Places in Central or South America with a beach for remote working

by @mcdime 6yr 6 years ago  | 5 comments

Im looking to make my first venture into nomad living this September and keep leaning back towards Bocas del Toro.

Does anyone have experience setting up shop there? Iโ€™m open to other warm weather surf towns as well

Starting a SaaS company that assists the operation of service based industries so being near some other SaaS people would be wonderful. (First time starting a tech company)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Quaint small towns/villages in Italy and/or France

in Italy by @theunisk 6yr 6 years ago  | 13 comments

Any recommendations for a few weeks stay in a small, quiet town or village somewhere in Italy/France during summer ? Open to any setting, by the seaside, in the mountains or the countryside - Iโ€™d like to get a feel for local life (outside the cities) in a charming place.
Having hiking routes available nearby would be a bonus, but not required.
Internet speed will not be very important, so that does not need to be taken into consideration.
Iโ€™ll likely be doing both Italy and France, so suggestions for both would be great.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Any good places in Krabi to rent a house for long stay?

in Krabi , Thailand by @zoxel 6yr 6 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey everyone,
We are nomad couple looking for some house we can stay for year or more.
Are there any known good places, like new villages with modern houses or something like this that we can check? Or any place you can recommend to look for a good (for European) house for rent?
Thx in advance for your help!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Do I need vaccinations for traveling in Asia?

by @fredrivett 7yr 7 years ago  | 6 comments

Iโ€™ve been looking to travel for a few years now, and Iโ€™m finally at the point where Iโ€™m pretty much ready to get going, hopefully next month.

That said, Iโ€™ve not planned ahead well, and it only just occurred to me about vaccinations. Iโ€™ve done a bit of research and there are vaccinations available, but Iโ€™m unsure how necessary they are.

I plan to chat to my local nurse/doctor before going, but Iโ€™m also interested to hear whether most people do vaccinate at all before heading out or not?

In terms of specifics, Iโ€™m planning to fly to Japan and then move south, likely hitting up Thailand, Bali, Vietnam etc.

Not expecting any official health advice here, more just personal experience. Any thoughts appreciated :+1:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone (almost) exclusively traveling in Latin America?

by @danielaf 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Is there anyone around who spends most of their time in Latin America? After short trips to Peru earlier this year, Iโ€™ve now come back to Lima to stay for another three months and will then head to Buenos Aires. Lima will be kind of my home base but I aim to explore as much as possible of Latin America in the next couple of years. No interest in Asia, Africa or North America and no intention to go back to Europe.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What nomads are out there traveling married and/or with a family?

by @danielgenser 7yr 7 years ago  | 37 comments

Iโ€™m curious to hear from the nomads out there who are traveling as a married couple (or long term committed couple, no matter). Many of the articles, guides, and tips one reads are understandably written from the single travelerโ€™s perspective (even if they are traveling in a group).

What nomads are out there traveling with a marriage mate and/or family?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where are the more hippy places in South and Central America

by @simonl 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Hi,

Iโ€™m looking for places in Central and South America that have more of a hippy vibe - yoga, good vegetarian/vegan food and good internet.

Let me know where youโ€™ve been.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What are good places near Cancun?

in Cancun , Mexico by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 4 comments

Is there a place close to Cancun such as Playa Del Carmen or Talum where I can stay for 1-3 months? Any recommendations? Or is that not a good place for a long term stay?

I love the beach there when I visited there, I thought it would be nice to be able to live by the beach and work for a little while.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

What vaccinations should I get traveling from US to Indonesia?

in Indonesia by @metamas 7yr 7 years ago  | 5 comments

What are the vaccinations I should get traveling from US to Indonesia? I read the CDC suggstions, but Iโ€™m curious on more anecdotal knowledge from experienced travelers to Indonesia.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
422ms