Clear search
๐ŸŒ Go nomad ๐Ÿ‘‹  Log in
General
Nomad List Frontpage ๐ŸŒ—  Dark mode โค๏ธ  Your favorites ๐Ÿš‘  Nomad insurance ๐Ÿฅ  About
Community
โค๏ธ Dating app ๐Ÿค  Friend finder ๐Ÿ’ฌ  Chat on Telegram ๐Ÿ’ˆ  Host meetup
new
๐Ÿน  Attend meetup ๐ŸŒŽ  Members map
Tools
๐Ÿœ  Explore ๐ŸŽ’  NomadGPT ๐Ÿ“ธ  Vote on photos ๐Ÿ—“  Residence calendar ๐Ÿ’ธ  FIRE calculator ๐ŸŒค  Climate finder ๐Ÿ’ฅ  Fastest growing ๐Ÿ“Š  Nomad stats
new
๐Ÿงช State of remote work new ๐Ÿ“œ  History of nomads
new
๐Ÿ•ธ  Network graph ๐Ÿ”Œ  Fastest internet ๐Ÿ†  Best place now ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random place ๐Ÿ”ฎ  Random good place
Misc
๐Ÿ“ˆ  Pageviews (648K/mo) ๐Ÿ—ณ  User rating 9.0/10 (n=5,886) ๐Ÿ›ฐ  Remote jobs โœˆ๏ธ  Best airlines ๐Ÿ—บ  Neighborhoods ๐Ÿก  Rebase ๐Ÿ  Coworkations Interior AI Photo AI ๐Ÿ†˜  Support
๐Ÿ‘‹ We've discontinued the forum. You can still read the posts archive but not post. To ask questions, please use the Nomad List Chat
Title
Be specific and imagine youโ€™re asking a question to another person. You can also post non-question posts of general interest

Body
Include all the information someone would need to answer your question or reply to your post
Cancel

You won't be notified by email when a reply is posted, to change your notification settings. Posts must follow the TOS: No ads, self promotion, commercial posts, surveys etc. For customer support questions, don't post here but use the feedback box in the bottom right of this page instead.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

3 Months in India, Any Suggestions?

in India by @yuvalbarhai 7yr  | 16 comments

Hello everyone!

I want to DN India for 3 months (or more) and the country is huge so Iโ€™m not sure how to start planning this, maybe you guys can help :slight_smile:
My major concern is the internet, from what Iโ€™ve read itโ€™s really bad - is that true?
What am I looking for:

1. Spiritual oriented towns.
  2. Near (or in) some beautiful nature (doesnโ€™t necessarily have to be near a beach)
  3. Decent speed internet. I can deal with unreliable internet that wont work all day long, but I canโ€™t handle really slow internet.
  4. 1 month stay in each town.

What am I NOT looking for:
Big cities like New Delhi.

Time - can be anytime of the year.
Weather - I donโ€™t mind hot weather, but donโ€™t want below 0 weather.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, if what Iโ€™m looking for is even possible. Thanks! :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@marcardar 7yr

Rishikesh has everything you are looking for and, as @whirledover mentioned, has many many cafes suitable for extended laptop work. Iโ€™ve been to almost all of the places mentioned in this thread, and Rishikesh fits your criteria significantly better than those others. Get a Jio SIM card for very good & cheap 4G. However, for perfect weather/temperature, Rishikesh is best in March and October/November. Outside of those months may be too hot/cold for your preferences.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I second (or fourth) Rishikesh - itโ€™s a super relaxing place to look around, get some work done, and explore. Itโ€™s got lots of cafes, yoga classes galore, beautiful nature - itโ€™s easy enough to rent a moped and explore the surroundings or go hiking. A few cafes have a strong enough connection to do website stuff (like the German bakery).
Also want to suggest Bundi - a tiny, charming town in Rajasthan that may get a little boring if you stay for a month but is a good place to get some work done.
*Wifi was really hit or miss everywhere so Iโ€™d suggest hotel shopping for a few days whenever you land in a new location to make sure they have strong enough wifi in the hotel/in cafes around the hotel for you to work before committing to a place longer term. Have fun in India!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@ravi 7yr

I lived 8 months in Gangtok in ~2010. It has all that youโ€™re looking for, but it can get very cold and snow in the winter. They had 3G internet even back then, no power outages (at least not in Gangtok town), the tap water was potable and the town was clean. It doesnโ€™t feel like most of the rest of India. There is also a Buddhist monastery in Rumtek (about an hourโ€™s drive). The entire town has views of the Kanchenjunga mountain and the excursions to Nathu La (border with China) and Pelling have breathtaking natural scenery.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Iโ€™m American, but the familyโ€™s from Calcutta, and Iโ€™ve traveled and worked all over India. Welcome! It can definitely be done, but it poses its own set of challenges.

Notes:

Darjeeling was a little touristy for my taste; Iโ€™d recommend heading further north into Sikkim, Nepal, or (if you can afford the insane visa fees) Bhutan. NE India is wild and beautiful, but expect it to be a very difficult place to work online Darjeeling was difficult enough last year; wifiโ€™s almost always down, and 3Gโ€™s rarely running fast enough for me to push files to a server. It wasnโ€™t a dealbreaker for me because I mostly work with a VPS for a dev server, so I can handle ultra low-bandwidth situations without too much pain, but if you were planning to do a lot of scheduled Skype calls, anywhere in the mountains will be a challenge.

Dharamsala and Manali had much more reliable internet connectivity, and were both beautiful. Dharamsala is the seat of the Tibetan government in exile, and though the Dalai Llama doesnโ€™t do personal appointments for an audience any more, his influence is everywhere. There are English conversation workshops where you exchange stories with refugees, documentary screenings, cooking classes, yoga, meditation; itโ€™s a nice little tourist town, and a good base for trips into the mountains.

If youโ€™re not too allergic to cities, I love Calcutta. Just built an apartment here, so Iโ€™m planning to use it as a longer-term base for travels around S. and SE Asia. Calcuttaโ€™s a good location if youโ€™re thinking about Darjeeling / Sikkim / Kalimpong in the mountains or the temples along the coast down to Puri or Vizag, and there are regularly cheapo flights to Bangkok or KL when youโ€™re heading out. Itโ€™s a major city, so thereโ€™s everything from yoga to meditation to Crossfit and MMA classes here.

Contrary to popular advice: Iโ€™d avoid Varanasi. Everyone does it, everyone thinks itโ€™s going to be very spiritual and cool, everyone gets ripped off buying hash in those tiny lanes, everyone does the boat ride and sees the burning ghats, everyone dies in the insane heat. Everyone in that city seemed to be razor focused on squeezing as much money as possible from any traveler (Indian or not) they managed to catch there.

If you have Indian friends, get them to get the SIM cards for you. Itโ€™s a serious pain otherwise, and 20 minutes will turn into 20 days. Youโ€™ll likely want one for your phone, and one for a 4G hotspot. Most major providers have them, and theyโ€™re cheap. GIO, Vodafone, and Airtel are the main companies youโ€™ll see for 4G, though there are a ton of other players in the market.

Welcome! Eat a ton of biryani.

Dave.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi Dave, thanks for the awesome advice!
Iโ€™ll soon be heading home after 9 months of nomading and will start planning my trip to India :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@floc 7yr

If you like nature, head for the Himalayas, either in Northwestern India with hill stations like Dharamsala or Manali and also Rishikesh or Northeastern India with Darjeeling. All of these places also have a spiritual side, Rishikesh and Dharamsala much more so than the other 2.

It is hard to beat Srinagar nature wise, but both getting there and getting internet are major problems. Canโ€™t even have 3G via SIM card cause Kashmir is blocked. Maybe in a couple of years the new railway will change things. Similar for Leh and the whole of Ladakh.

Mysore was already mentioned and itโ€™s so much more than just a day or weekend trip from Bangalore. In fact it is a good base for daytrips, e.g. to Bylakuppe, Shravanabelagola, Belur/Halebid or a weekend in the Western Ghats. See this page for more inspiration under Mysore. Mysore itself is also a really nice, walkable and livable Indian city and thatโ€™s a rare thing indeed.

Hampi is great but internet is a problem. Itโ€™s a spiritual center as well.

For beach cities that have more to offer than just sand and water try Puri and Mamallapuram. Puri is a big spiritual center.

Bodhgaya is the center of the Earth as far as all 3 major schools of Buddhism are concerned.

All these places might get boring after 2 weeks so I would recommend halving your time spent in each place.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks for the recommendations! Seems like nomading in India could be amazing but has to be planned properly.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thank you everyone for your recommendations!
@karan25991 - I will send you an email!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@arti1 7yr

Hi! have you considered Bangalore. I am from Spain, but I did visit Bangalore many years back and I loved the city. Infact, hoping to go again soon.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karan 7yr

@nahemnahem
Wayanad: it is a typical south Indian hill station, though a bit secluded. Has a few touristy places (waterfalls, lakes and small treks). Mostly homestays are there in Wayanad and forget about getting a broadband connection. You might be able to get a 3G/4G signal however it might be very spotty.

Chandigarh: It is a regular city in the North. Though it is one of the better ones in terms of cleanliness and is a little well organized. Has a few touristy places like gardens and lakes but nothing much to do other than that. If you had to choose a city to stay in the north, Iโ€™ll probably chose Chandigarh

Mysore: This is more like a weekend getaway from Bangalore. Has a nice palace and a zoo and a few gardens. Worth a visit during the dussehra festival for a day or two

Goa: @jdmcwalter is pretty much spot on. South Goa has good beaches and north goa is pretty much where you party. Nothing special with the beaches though.

Kerala: I would really recommend spending some time in Kerala. There are a lot of places you can visit and it pretty much depends on what all you want to experience. Maybe start at Kozhikode then go to Wayanad for a weekend, then go and enjoy a few weeks in Kochi, Kumarakom and Allepy (this is where the backwaters are ) and maybe spend some time in Kollam and visit the beach at Varakala which is really great. And they fly off to the next destination from Thiruvananthapuram. You can include more places or remove a few depending on how you want to do your trip. Most of these places would have good 3G/4G coverage.

Hampi: This is a nice place too. Has some great architectural ruins and probably a good weekend or extended weekend getaway. A few things which I donโ€™t like about hampi though is that it is pretty far from any big city or airport plus it might be a bit hot there all year around. It also mostly has very basic hotels and homestays which might not be ideal for working for extended durations.

Bangalore: I used to love bangalore till a few years back. It was probably one of the best big cities in India with great culture and weather. Sadly urbanization has pretty much killed the city in the past few years and itโ€™ll only get worse in the next few years.

@nahemnahem: for you it looks like a stay in South India for a couple of weeks to a month (Kerala and Pondicherry) and then spending some time in the hills up north in the Himalayas, around Rishikesh and Dharamsala makes sense.

You should be able to work there and spend time meditating or doing other activities too.

Internet situation is manageable in these places with multiple sim cards and wifi hotspots. You can look for cafes or hotels with Internet but usually having a mobile connection as a backup makes sense. The cost for data has come done in the past few months too. You can get 1GB of data for $1 and there is one service provider offering 1GB of data free every day in 4G till 31 March 2017, though getting their SIM cards is a battle in its own.

India is opening up in the past few years and it is possible to work from here however there are a lot of variables in play and the big problem is that even a small miscalculation can ruin your stay here especially when you want to work remotely.

Feel free to ask any more questions that you have about India in general.
(@nahemnahem: just sent you a DM on nomadforum, feel free to reach out to me there)

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
@karan 7yr

Hi @nahemnahem,
I am a localite and have been working out of India for some time now. Given how vast India is and the huge opportunities that are there for exploring, I try to work out of different places a few times a year. Here are few of the places I would suggest you to go and well as general info.

3 months seems to be a pretty decent amount of time to explore different parts of India. The big concern here would be Internet and the place to live. Usually the internet at hotels or airbnbโ€™s would be a 2 to 4 Mbps line and you would need a 3G/4G connection around to make sure that you are always connected. Expect 4-8Mbps on a 3G/4G line. I always check http://opensignal.com/ before going to a place to make sure that the place has atleast a decent mobile internet coverage before going there. 4-8Mbps works out pretty good for me for working as well as skype. The latency is b/w 50-150ms which is pretty much the best youโ€™ll be able to find. There would be cafeโ€™s with good internet however coworking/remote working is still pretty new in India and it might be hard to find a decent cafe to work out from in most towns.

Coming to weather

There is a huge change is weather when you go from one place to another. You can pretty much go from cyclonic winds and rains in the south to hot and humid along the coast and snows in the north. I think the weather would be a big factor when you choose the place you choose to work out from. Oct to March is usually the best time to visit India, because the summers are brutal and then the monsoons lash the entire country for a few months.

Coming to places to work from

I would suggest 2-4 weeks at a place so that you can explore the place a bit and them move to the next place. There are a lot of different cities/places to explore so youโ€™ll never run out of options if you get bored of a particular place.

Here are the different ones that I know about and the things you can do there:

Pondicherry

This was a french colony long back but has still kept its charm. Probably one of the most chilled out cities in India. It is also home to Aurobindo Ashram and Auroville which are great places to meditate and spend some time. There are also some historical temples and mangrove forests which make up for an interesting day trip. I went there a few weeks back and the internet and the accommodation is pretty decent there too. There is a coworking space which is coming up there which might work out if you want better internet and it was pretty cheap too. Best time to visit: Oct-March (try to avoid the monsoons)

###Pune
This is a pretty historic city, which is also a university town and has great weekend getaways to forts, treks, pristine beaches and adventure activities. It is also home to OSHO ashram and ISKCON temple both of which are great places to meditate and also offer courses in meditation that you can attend. The city is also a great mix of history and cosmopolitan culture. This is a pretty big city so has the obvious benefits of having great places to live and better internet. Best time to go: All year around especially in the monsoons

###Kerala (Kochi, Allepy, Kumarakom)
Kerala is also called Godโ€™s own country and rightly so. It is one of the best places to wind down and relax. It is also the ayurvedic capital of India where you can find places to meditate too. Probably one of the best places to visit in India with great backwaters and beaches. Best time to go: Oct - March (Except Dec since itโ€™s monsoon)

###Rishikesh
Also called the yoga capital of the world and is the gateways to the himalayas. There are a lot of ashrams where you can do yoga and there is the International Yoga Festival which happens in march. There are also a lot of smaller places around that you can visit and there are adventure activities too like rafting, bungee jumping, ziplining etc. Best time to go: Year around except June - Sept (Monsoon)

###Dharamshala
Dharamshala is a spiritual dwelling in the north deep in the mountains which hosts a large tibetan community of Buddhists and the residence of the Dalai Lama. You can spend some time here in the buddhist monasteries. There are also places where you can meditate and do yoga. There are a lot of adventure activities like paragliding available here. Best time to go: Year around except June - Sept (Monsoon)

###Other places to consider (donโ€™t have great meditation places though)
Goa - Great beaches
Gujarat - Rann of Kutch, Daman and Diu
Rajasthan- Jaipur, Jodhpur (Great historical places)
Agra- Taj Mahal, Agra Fort
Vrindavan - Holi in March etc
Hill station in South India: Munnar, Ooty, Kodaikanal etc

Also wanted to add a shameless marketing plug here. I have felt that India offers a lot of great experiences and is probably one of the best places in the World that you can explore. We are making a gateway for nomads/freelancers to explore india and experience inner self. However is it very overwhelming and very hard to break into India. We help you manage your place and work, so that you can see what a wonderful place india is without sweating out of the complexities.

Also, since the country usually only gets tourists rather than travelers, a lot of the tourism industry here is based around making a quick buck rather than giving you a complete experience. I am starting a small company with a friend of mine with the goal of providing a great experience only for DNโ€™s. What we are trying to do is to be like a guide and a friend here in India whom you can rely on for everything. We wonโ€™t be offering ready-made packages but more like very flexible experiences, where you can choose what you want to do, where you want to live and we take care of everything, from ensuring great internet (under the constraints that are here in India), finding and vetting out long term places to stay to make sure that they are good enough, finding out coworking spaces and cafes and getting better deals there, getting reliable travel and adventure options which donโ€™t cost you a fortune and give you a great experience and also help you get settled in the country.

India is a celebration of all your five senses and we want to make sure that you enjoy it to the fullest.

Do let us know if you have any more questions. Iโ€™ll be happy to help you out and do let us know if you are interested in having us organize your trip.

Cheers

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Hi!
Wow thank you so much for your reply, I canโ€™t even describe in words how much I appreciate it :slight_smile:
I will definitely look into those places.
Other people also recommended me: Wayanad, Chandigarh and Mysore - can you tell me your opinion please?

I would also like to receive more details about the organize trip youโ€™re offering.

Thanks again!
Yuval.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Karan gave a good summary. I spent 2.5 months in india last year, mostly in Kerala/Goa. Wifi is an issue, but if you are not doing alot of video calls you can get by. South Goa (Talpona beach) is paradise, but places to stay are closed outside of the Nov-Feb busy season. You basically get a mile long beach to yourself; its a bit hard to get to though. All over Goa there are yoga/meditation places, but we were only there the few months of high season, so not sure how many of those are open the rest of the year. Kochi is cool enough, and the backwaters are very cool, but it is very hard to get alcohol in all of Kerala so be warned if thatโ€™s your thing. Mysore is somewhere we really didnโ€™t like. There are about 3 square blocks of western style yoga studios in a subarb type area and the palace is nice, but the rest of the city is like any other hectic Indian city and we saw some horrific treatment of half starved supposedly โ€œholy cowsโ€ throughout. Also, its very veggie, getting even eggs was difficult there.

One place not on Karanโ€™s list is Hampi. Its well worth checking out, the ruins are amazing and its a big hippy scene. It wasnโ€™t really my thing, but we met people there who visited and just stayed for months they loved it so much. Its very touristy though.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Thanks!
Iโ€™m not really looking for alcohol and/or parties so thatโ€™s not an issue at all.
About Goa - besides the nice beaches are there any other pros to the area? I lived by a beach my whole life so just being by a beach doesnโ€™t really excite me that muchโ€ฆ unless itโ€™s an exceptional beach or has other interesting things around :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Pretty much just beach :wink: Talpona is an exceptional beach, and the way busier Palolem/Agonda are nice beaches, but if you arenโ€™t looking for beaches, I would skip goa. You may prefer the hills? I didnโ€™t go to Rishikesh, but my girlfriend spent 2 months there while I went to Nepal, and she said it was amazing for yoga/meditation etc

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Yes, Iโ€™d prefer mountains and nature :slight_smile: again, unless itโ€™s a heavenly beach hahaโ€ฆ
Rishikesh sounds and looks amazing, I will definitely visit there.
Basically Iโ€™m looking for places where I can still work online (websites stuff, no video/skype calls) and keep doing spiritual stuff like meditation/yoga.
I donโ€™t really care about coworking places unless theyโ€™re my only option to do work online. About meeting DNs and travelers - again not my main interest, but it could be a nice bonus if I meet nice DNs where Iโ€™ll be :slight_smile:
From the recommendations here it looks like there are definitely places that would be exactly what Iโ€™m looking for, so that makes me happy and excited to visit India!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Read and participate in 14,117 discussions on Nomad List

Suggested topics

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South East Asia to live for 6+ months per year

in Indonesia by @miklaskroager 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

We're looking for a country in South East Asia that can function as our base, mainly for tax purposes. Meaning it will have to be a place where we can stay for the 183 days required without too much hassle.

We've been looking at Thailand, but have heard that it's very hard to do visa runs etc., so what other can you recommend? Indonesia looked like a good option, but the income rate is a flat 20% and very high for the region.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Is it easy to renew your tourist visa for 6 months in Colombia?

in Colombia by @julien 4yr 4 years ago  | 1 comment

Hello everyone,
I will come to live in Colombia for one year.
What is the best solution with the Visa?
I thought to have a Visa for tourists for 3 months and renewal the visa for 6 months. Is that hard to renewal a tourist Visa in Colombia?
Thank you for your help.
Best,
Julien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to stay in Australia for longer than 3 months

in Australia by @rose_davis 5yr 5 years ago  | 2 comments

Hey there!

Iโ€™m planning on spending 3 months in Australia next year on a tourist visa. Iโ€™ve already gotten my working holiday visa (in 2017), but unfortunately didnโ€™t get to take advantage of the full year (only stayed 3 months).

My boyfriend will be able to get his working holiday visa before we go, so Iโ€™m wondering if anyone knows of a way that I might be able to extend my stay (6 months would be ideal, if longer I wouldnโ€™t complain).

Iโ€™d like to do this legally of course, so Iโ€™m wondering about a student visa. Anyone have experience getting this to extend their stay?

And other workarounds that might be worth exploring?

Might also be worth noting โ€“ Iโ€™ll be working while Iโ€™m there (for a US-based company) and I am American.

Appreciate the help!

Rose

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Suggestions for home base for 10 months in Mexico or Panama next year?

in Mexico by @we_are_escaping 5yr 5 years ago  | 14 comments

Weโ€™re researching places to use as a home base next year, and are leaning towards Mexico or Panama for 10 months (with 1 week โ€œvacationsโ€ to explore surrounding countries)

But, I want to settle some place where the infrastructure is good enough for fast, reliable internet - fast enough to run live webinars without worrying that Iโ€™ll be S.O.L due to internet issues when itโ€™s time to go live.

And ideally, Iโ€™d like to be on the coastโ€ฆ I like to have ocean/beach access without the need for a drive.

And not in a malaria zone (just saying, since Panama in particular has many areas that Iโ€™d rule out simply due to the need for malaria prevention meds)โ€ฆ itโ€™s one thing to take that stuff for a few weeks long trip, but I donโ€™t want to take it for months on end.

Thoughts?

Thanks for reading all :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a short-term (2-3 weeks) in Koลกice?

in Kosice , Slovakia by @adamnowek 6yr 6 years ago  | 0 comments

Hi nomads! Iโ€™m planning to head to Koลกice in May for a few weeks, both to work and to watch some hockey (the World Championships are being co-hosted in the city). Weโ€™ve tried looking into places to stay the usual ways (Airbnb, Booking.com, et al) but it looks like the city is completely sold out during the dates of the hockey tournament.

Does anyone know of any other resources for finding a place in Koลกice? Or does anyone happen to have an apartment to rent out if they want to avoid the onslaught of thousands of hockey fans? :stuck_out_tongue:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Should I travel with a MacBook Pro 13" or 15"?

by @ileitch 6yr 6 years ago  | 12 comments

Hey!

Iโ€™m wondering how many developers travel with a MBP 13" vs 15"? I currently use a late-2012 13" for iOS development, but Iโ€™m pondering the 15" because Xcode is so resource hungry. On the downside, it is rather heavyโ€ฆ

Do you travel with a 15"? Do you wish youโ€™d opted for the 13" instead?

Cheers

• Ian

P.S Iโ€™m asking developers specifically as system spec is more crucial than, say, for a copywriter.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Moving to Thailand for 6-9 months in August. Bangkok or somewhere else?

in Bangkok , Thailand by @andrea3018 7yr 7 years ago  | 14 comments

Hello Nomads,
I would like to move in Thailand for 6-9 months starting from August.
Iโ€™ll definetely stay in Chiang Mai as base for most of the time but Iโ€™d like to do the first month (August) in Bangkok or somewhere else.
What place would you recommend to visit first?
Would Bangkok be a good place to be during August?
I was also checking at the east coast isles but I got a little frightened out by the moonsoon idea but still, it would be cool to go to beaches and have some sun during that month :slight_smile: .
Would the moonsoons or the rain really be a problem?
Iโ€™ll move to Chiang Mai from september anyway but I would just like to start somewhere else since I have to wait for my girlfriend to come during september.

Thank you in advance for your advices,
Sorry for the bad english,
Andrea

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Short term (1-3 months) in Medellin?

in Medellรญn , Colombia by @jodie_taylor 7yr 7 years ago  | 30 comments

Hello all,

Iโ€™m just interested on anyones experience of renting short term (1-3 months) accommodation in Medellin, Colombia.

I had a look on Airbnb of course, lots of places, on the more expensive which isnโ€™t a huge issueโ€ฆ Iโ€™m just wondering if in anyones experience itโ€™s better to take a room for a week and shop around when I get there or whether I should just book a month upfront? I recently had a bad experience with Airbnb so not dying to go down that road again just yet if Iโ€™m honest.

Iโ€™ll be arriving in Medellin from November onwards over the Xmas period and likely through till January, maybe longer. Another friend is coming with me so we could potentially rent a 2 bed apartment, or Iโ€™d also be happy in a studio or a private room in a decent house even. Iโ€™m thinking El Poblano or Laureles, as we are two girls with limited Spanish.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anybody around Europe over the next few months?

by @paulrose 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

Hi All

Soโ€ฆ a few months ago when I was in Asia, for some reason I decided that it was gonna be too hot over the summer months and I wanted to mix it up with a few months touring Europe. So I had the idea to buy and RV and drive round for a few months.

Meet Teagan :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s taken a few months going through the process of getting my license to drive the RV, because itโ€™s so large it wasnโ€™t covered on my standard driving license. Add to that, I had some solar panels fitted for unlimited power, and a massive satellite dish for internet wherever I go.

Iโ€™ve now got my ferry booked out of the UK for September 11th and at the moment have no plans past the first few weeks.

Has anyone on here done anything similar before? Any places recommended, or anyone around Europe over the next few months?

Iโ€™m doing about 3 months worth before heading to Vegas for NYE and around the states for a few months after that before back to Asia for a bit.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Experiences using 3G amplifier in remote areas?

by @adrienbetweets 7yr 7 years ago  | 0 comments

Iโ€™m considering traveling with a 3G amplifier.

Has anyone been testing such device while traveling?

I know it sounds ridiculous to travel with such thing, but it would allow one to still be able to work while in rather unusual places, far away from coworking spacesโ€ฆ

Cheers,
Adrien

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Best place in South / central america for 3 months

by @jjuter 7yr 7 years ago  | 9 comments

I am looking to live in south or central america for 3 months. Anybody have any recomondations of places for a long term stay?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How to find a budget accommodation in Seoul for 1-3 month?

in Seoul , South Korea by @poppyjikko 7yr 7 years ago  | 7 comments

Maybe some of you know good tips ?

Thank you for helping.

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Looking a for a flat to rent in Barcelona from January for 6 months. Anyone?

in Barcelona , Spain by @aleravanetti 7yr 7 years ago  | 2 comments

Hi guys, as I wrote in the title I am planning to move to Barcelona with my girlfriend starting from January 2017 and I am looking to rent a flat for 6 months, possibly in the Born area, but open also to other neighborhoods. My budget is around โ‚ฌ800 per month. Is anyone looking to rent out something that could fit my request? Any help would be appreciated!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

4 months in Scandinavia, what are the digital hotspots?

by @marie 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi,

I am thinking of spending 4 months in Scandinavia. I like to spend 1 month in each city but I am not too sure where the digital places are in those countries.

I would prefer a bigger city with some coworking spaces as I work better this way.

Any suggestions?

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Staying in Italy for a few months - internet?

in Italy by @ld 7yr 7 years ago  | 8 comments

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to spend a few months in Italy - nowhere major like Milan, maybe Tuscany region or more south. Iโ€™ve been there before, but not in a work capacity. We need decent internet both where we stay (maybe airbnb) and are hoping to find some cafes or work spots around.

I donโ€™t see too much on here about Italy. And it certainly doesnโ€™t make any list of โ€˜best places for digital nomadsโ€™ - so Iโ€™m curious about that. Is it a bad spot for people like us that survive off of the internet? Is it not reliable?

I appreciate any insights from your experiences!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

3 Months in Australia as UK Ltd Company

in Australia by @keiththetraveller 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi Guys,

A quick question as my accountant as queried something with me.

I have a UK limited company and Iโ€™m visiting Australia for 3 months to visit friends, plus enjoy a little sunshine. I was looking at hiring a desk for a month or so while there and was wondering if this would affect my visa and wether Iโ€™d need to declare my earnings while there?

As Iโ€™ll still be working for my own UK company with no money coming from Australian sources and I wonโ€™t be selling goods or services to Australian companies I would have thought that the normal holiday visa would be fine. Iโ€™d also assume I wouldnโ€™t have to declare anything with the Australian tax authorities as it would be similar to a UK citizen being paid theyโ€™re holiday pay while in the country.

If anyone has any experience with this then it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

How is the quality of wifi & 3G in Amed, Bali?

in Amed , Indonesia by @adrienbetweets 7yr 7 years ago  | 3 comments

Hi all!

I am considering going for 1+ month in Amed (to get more into freediving).

I need to be able to make Skype calls & other work-related tasks. I need a speed equivalent to one allowing me to watch Youtube videos.

Ubud is way more connected in comparison, so I donโ€™t expect anything wonderful.

Wondering if anyone has done this before & if yes: what 3G
provider they used, or what cafe/restaurant/hotel had a good/reliable
enough wifi connection.

Note that I went to Amed last year & the 3G connection on the 2 providers I used at the time was terrible. Thatโ€™s why Iโ€™m asking for help.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also posted this question on travel.stackexchange.com/questions/82403/quality-of-wifis-3g-reception-in-amed-bali

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Where should we live in Colombia for six months?

in Colombia by @supernoveau 8yr 8 years ago  | 2 comments

Hola!

My girlfriend and I are working and slow travelling through Central and South America. We usually live in each location for around three to six months. For instance, weโ€™ve been living on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala for nearly six months now.

Weโ€™re planning our next location in Central and South America to rent for six months and weโ€™re hearing great things about Colombia.

Weโ€™d like to live in a safe and quiet natural location with friendly locals, a comfortable climate and have access to quality produce (food).

Can anyone recommend where we can live? Any tips on rentals would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Anyone familiar with fluentin3months?

by @erikbenjamin 8yr 8 years ago  | 7 comments

I was wondering if there are people familiar with the website fluentin3months.com? Benny Lewis, founder of Fluent in 3 Months, says that this is a faster and smarter way to learn a language. With language hacking, you can learn a new language in months (3) or years Instead.

In my case Iโ€™m looking for an English course that allows me to communicate better in English :map: :globe_with_meridians: Is this what you think I need? :slight_smile:

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

I'll be entering the UK for 6 months, will immigration ask to see my finances?

by @shayna 8yr 8 years ago  | 24 comments

Hi!

I (American) and my husband (Brazilian) are going to London for 6 months.

Heโ€™s going to study English - heโ€™s already registered & paid for the course.

Iโ€™m going to be a touristโ€ฆ and work on my online business.

Iโ€™ve heard UK border control can be a bit difficult and am wondering if they are likely to ask for financial evidence that we can support ourselves for six months.

I have savings in the bank, but of course Iโ€™ll also be receiving regular, stable income from the online business (I could show them a history of payments stretching back a year or more, if necessary).

Any thoughts/tips?

Thanks in advance!

๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
โ€น โ€บ
USD โ”€ $
ยฐC
Nomad cost
โœจ To see all results
Go nomad
by @levelsio
447ms